Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Whats up gents? I am looking for some paint advice for a few different applications. First off, I am wanting to paint my end caps on my Muzzy M10 pipe. I don't have a pic but the pipe is black Teflon coated but the end cap is like a polished aluminum...I think. My concern is finding the right kind of paint that will look decent, hold up to the heat and lastly not flake off from the elements etc. I am trying keep the dark theme or integrity of the bike all together and the shiny end cap is bugging me along with one other thing. The 09 ZX10 has silver coolant reserve tank covers and I am not fond of the color of them either. I would be more than willing to trade someone for some black gloss or flat black ones but I have had no luck. Anyway, I am looking for a kind of paint that will achieve the same results as the end caps minus the heat resistant properties of course. I know that it probably would not cost much to have them painted but I am just too cheap and would like to do them myself if all possible. If any of you guys have any tip, tricks and product advice it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

·
Registered
1,602 Posts
Whats up gents? I am looking for some paint advice for a few different applications. First off, I am wanting to paint my end caps on my Muzzy M10 pipe. I don't have a pic but the pipe is black Teflon coated but the end cap is like a polished aluminum...I think. My concern is finding the right kind of paint that will look decent, hold up to the heat and lastly not flake off from the elements etc. I am trying keep the dark theme or integrity of the bike all together and the shiny end cap is bugging me along with one other thing. The 09 ZX10 has silver coolant reserve tank covers and I am not fond of the color of them either. I would be more than willing to trade someone for some black gloss or flat black ones but I have had no luck. Anyway, I am looking for a kind of paint that will achieve the same results as the end caps minus the heat resistant properties of course. I know that it probably would not cost much to have them painted but I am just too cheap and would like to do them myself if all possible. If any of you guys have any tip, tricks and product advice it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
:dontknow: maybe try nickalltogether he may know sorry

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

·
Registered
1,481 Posts
I used grill paint on my pipe it came out all right

Attachments

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I used grill paint on my pipe it came out all right

Looks good and thanks for the response. BTW...Have you had any problems with flaking or discoloration after the fact?

·
Registered
1,481 Posts
Looks good and thanks for the response. BTW...Have you had any problems with flaking or discoloration after the fact?
No it holds up pretty good. It is rated to 1200 degrees

·
Registered
2,137 Posts
Thanks for the PM. If you are budget minded I would try the grill paint on the pipe, there is actually a whole write-up on here about it, though I can't remember who did it... it was on a 3rd Gen and his bike was blue, if that helps (Patrick maybe). As far as the side covers, they are very cheap from Kawasaki, if you can't find anyone willing to trade then that's what I would do. Check (or call) ronayers.com, they are running a special right now on OEM parts, I believe "superbowl" or something like that is the discount code.

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the PM. If you are budget minded I would try the grill paint on the pipe, there is actually a whole write-up on here about it, though I can't remember who did it... it was on a 3rd Gen and his bike was blue, if that helps (Patrick maybe). As far as the side covers, they are very cheap from Kawasaki, if you can't find anyone willing to trade then that's what I would do. Check (or call) ronayers.com, they are running a special right now on OEM parts, I believe "superbowl" or something like that is the discount code.
Thanks dude. I'm going to my dealership today and see what they offer. I'll compare it to Ron Ayers tonight. I would imagine if I attempted to paint part of my bike that it would look like ass. I'm just cheap when it comes to aesthetic mods :badteeth:. I may try the grill paint on the end caps...I just hope it sticks etc. Thanks again...later.

·
Registered
2,137 Posts
Scotch brite the endcaps and it will stick. Absolute worst case scenario you can have them powdercoated... it would easily be less than $50 if you could get it done while the powdercoater was doing a run of similarly colored parts.

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Scotch brite the endcaps and it will stick. Absolute worst case scenario you can have them powdercoated... it would easily be less than $50 if you could get it done while the powdercoater was doing a run of similarly colored parts.
I just went out and got a can of flat VHT flameproof ceramic coating and a Scotch brite pad. It's supposed to snow again tonight so maybe I'll fool with it tomorrow. I'll let you know how it turns out. Thanks again. :eek:ccasion1

·
Registered
41 Posts
Just bear in mind that you should heat cycle the VHT ceramic stuff. I've used it on a number of parts in the past, and they come out best when you cycle them through the heat ranges they recommend. I realize that this may not necessarily possible with your applications, but the material is far more resistant to scratches/chips/etc once it's been cycled a few times. The flat colors actually get 'flatter' after cycling too FYI.- at least the black did. :)

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Just bear in mind that you should heat cycle the VHT ceramic stuff. I've used it on a number of parts in the past, and they come out best when you cycle them through the heat ranges they recommend. I realize that this may not necessarily possible with your applications, but the material is far more resistant to scratches/chips/etc once it's been cycled a few times. The flat colors actually get 'flatter' after cycling too FYI.- at least the black did. :)

Thanks for the info. I have used the grill heat spray before and did not have good results possibly because of that. I'll try to follow the directions on the VHT in case it was user error before.

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Yesterday I put my first coat of VHT on the end cap and heated it up as much as I could w/o riding it. After it dried, I hit it up again with the scotch brite pad to scuff it up some more. Afterwards I hit it again along with my headers this time which baked on a lot quicker. This morning I went and got some clear coat spray to go over the end cap in hopes to prevent any minor scratches etc. I consided spraying the whole can with the clear coat but I'll probably just leave it alone while I'm ahead. I'm just glad that I got some masking tape before I started lol. Overall, I'm pretty happy with how it looks so far.

·
Registered
82 Posts
I did some paint and used some paint adhesion from auto zone and a yeay later still sooks good did not even scuff it!

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I did some paint and used some paint adhesion from auto zone and a yeay later still sooks good did not even scuff it!

Cool...I hope it lasts. I'm really trying to make it look as professional as possible.

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
:ttiwwop:

Yeah I know...guilty. I have been lazy with pics. Even the dimensions of the old ones I do have in the gallery are too big to post :headshake. I will get off my ass and get some posted soon. Where the hell is my camera anyway?

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
So far the headers pipe and end cap turned out well and I'm happy with my handy work so far. Although I have not been able to see how it will hold up against the elements. Right now I can't ride because of the weather etc but with some of the feedback from you guys, I am confident it will be fine. Also I am now considering doing the whole can but I'm still mulling that around in the old noggin. Anyway, with all that I have another idea and question... if I spray the front of my radiator will it have any adverse effects on any cooling/functional aspects of doing this? This idea is for aesthetics purposes only. No, I do in no way think that spraying VHT on my radiator will do anything positive for cooling. I just don't want to buy anymore spray paint that don't have the same properties of the VHT. My concern is that it may actually prevent it from cooling properly for some reason. In my mind it would seem that it couldn't be any worse than putting a radiator guard on it but I still wanted to put this question out there to see if anyone has any experience or first hand knowledge on this. I would appreciate any constructive input anyone has. Thanks guys.

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
So far the headers pipe and end cap turned out well and I'm happy with my handy work so far. Although I have not been able to see how it will hold up against the elements. Right now I can't ride because of the weather etc but with some of the feedback from you guys, I am confident it will be fine. Also I am now considering doing the whole can but I'm still mulling that around in the old noggin. Anyway, with all that I have another idea and question... if I spray the front of my radiator will it have any adverse effects on any cooling/functional aspects of doing this? This idea is for aesthetics purposes only. No, I do in no way think that spraying VHT on my radiator will do anything positive for cooling. I just don't want to buy anymore spray paint that don't have the same properties of the VHT. My concern is that it may actually prevent it from cooling properly for some reason. In my mind it would seem that it couldn't be any worse than putting a radiator guard on it but I still wanted to put this question out there to see if anyone has any experience or first hand knowledge on this. I would appreciate any constructive input anyone has. Thanks guys.

Gonna BUMP this once then I'll let it die. Again...thanks for any advise guy's.

·
Registered
2,137 Posts
It will negatively affect it. It can limit flow through the radiator, and also limit the aluminum's ability to transfer heat out away from the liquid.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts