Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had a pretty bad off last month. The hospital has me down for a motor vehicle accident. Insurance is trying to ferret out a way to make somebody else pay for my bills. I am required to fill out a form including where and how the wreck occurred. I am curious if anyone else has had to deal with this.
I wasn't racing, it was only a track day. The ambulance did take me from the track, so they will probably know I wrecked there. Any input may save me around 60 grand. Thanks

·
Chairman of the Board
16,050 Posts
Well I have HEARD that as long as you arent racing that it would be covered. Key word there is heard. My understanding is that the wording used should implicate that the event were geared towards rider education."The event uses control riders to evaluate rider skill and advise on ways to improve the riders ability to ride safely." That type of thing. I would never advise insurance fraud but I do believe that riding on the track is a safe alternative to riding on the street. In fact I learned more my first few track days than in years of street riding. Best of luck to you and heal up fast.

·
Registered
771 Posts
Advanced educational course.
Stt stress this and will back u up.
Hope it works out for u I only had 5k medical on my bike policies when I wrecked at barber

·
Registered
578 Posts
closed course riding event. only you were involved, no other bikes or cars were involved. that is all they need to know. dont give them any more. Ski

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Sounds like good advice. I am coming to the conclusion that these people are professional crooks and I need to avoid as much interaction as possible.

·
Gone Ridin'
1,705 Posts
I had a pretty bad off last month. The hospital has me down for a motor vehicle accident. Insurance is trying to ferret out a way to make somebody else pay for my bills. I am required to fill out a form including where and how the wreck occurred. I am curious if anyone else has had to deal with this.
I wasn't racing, it was only a track day. The ambulance did take me from the track, so they will probably know I wrecked there. Any input may save me around 60 grand. Thanks
Yea, I had to list mine as off-road accident.
They didn't really give me a hard time, but yes they want to subrogate if possible and pursue other insurances (i.e. a car ran you over).

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
So far they haven't bothered me about the track. They sent a form from a third party asking for a lot of detail.(I think this is called subrogation) I ignored it and it seems to have gone away. So far it seems like they are in the habbit of just looking for people to disqualify themselves or make other parties liable. I don't think at this point that they took specific interest in my case to tell you the truth. They are just keeping with an MO of trying to weasel out of paying by sending random crap to everyone that makes a claim. I could be wrong, we will see.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Hypothetically if you took someone out during a track-day would your liability insurance would cover their injuries and damage?

·
Registered
295 Posts
Hypothetically if you took someone out during a track-day would your liability insurance would cover their injuries and damage?
THIS...can anyone with experience chime in here? I don't keep any insurance on my track bike. Is this a terrible idea? Most everyone I've talked with at the track will claim that what happens there stays there. I don't buy it fully. I might call up state farm and ask them about non-timed events and coverage.

·
Gone Ridin'
1,705 Posts
THIS...can anyone with experience chime in here? I don't keep any insurance on my track bike. Is this a terrible idea? Most everyone I've talked with at the track will claim that what happens there stays there. I don't buy it fully. I might call up state farm and ask them about non-timed events and coverage.
Most of this type of coverage would want a motor vehicle accident report to kick in (and there are liability waivers you sign at the track).

I have never seen this happen (seen lots of track crashes, been in a few, but not seen this) but if someone has been down this road (or knows someone who has) it would be nice to hear.

·
Gone Ridin'
1,705 Posts
insurance cover your track bike in US ??
Theoretically, yes. You would claim an off-road accident.

I have no personal experience since, I keep my street bike off the track and my track bike off the street (well, except for an occasional turn around the neighborhood to run it).
Be silly to do since you are going to end up at-fault and your rates will balloon...

1 - 15 of 15 Posts