Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
HeadShake or not...?

Took the '06 ZX10 up to 160mph (in 6th gear) on a straightaway, and noticed some gentle side to side pulsing on the bars while accelerating, and wasn't sure if it was the front tire following grooves or the beginings of dreaded headshake...

I was pretty tight on the bars and about 5 clicks from being at full damp on the Ohlins, and tires factory psi...:dontknow:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
250 Posts
MiamiDave said:
HeadShake or not...?

Took the '06 ZX10 up to 160mph (in 6th gear) on a straightaway, and noticed some gentle side to side pulsing on the bars while accelerating, and wasn't sure if it was the front tire following grooves or the beginings of dreaded headshake...

I was pretty tight on the bars and about 5 clicks from being at full damp on the Ohlins, and tires factory psi...:dontknow:
I doesn't sound like a headshake, it does sound like the tire was just tracking the pavement. I think you're going to know if it was a headshake. I personally have never had a head shake while accelerating, Ive gotten them under deaccelaration or after a wheelie (Big or small). I could be wrong though! By definition, it was going back and forth so it could be considered a headshake.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,449 Posts
I had headshake yesterday on my 06 during acceleration my stock ohlin damper lost compression pissed:angryfire , I hate the stocker I'll be getting a hyperpro next week:mrgreen: .
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,228 Posts
Like this :headshake or like this :rockwoot: :deathmeta :banamet: ?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
34,537 Posts
MiamiDave said:
HeadShake or not...?
I was pretty tight on the bars and about 5 clicks from being at full damp on the Ohlins, and tires factory psi...:dontknow:
not to imply this isn't a natual reaction but 'tight on the bars' is not a good thing as the bike cannot do its thing if its headshake or not.

BD
 

·
Yankee Racer
Joined
·
14,838 Posts
Big Daddy said:
not to imply this isn't a natual reaction but 'tight on the bars' is not a good thing as the bike cannot do its thing if its headshake or not.

BD
+1 to that, that can cause more problems for sure
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
620 Posts
i got head shake bad the other day when those blue swap gasses were tryin to chase me, lol. it was in sixth gear and i was keepin it right under the rev limiter. didn't have time to think about it, i just kept my arms loose and let it do what it wanted to and backed off the gas, but it wasn't no little shake
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
34,537 Posts
different perspective

Its true the liter bikes these days are suspect to twitchy, nervous tendencies however in a % of cases where a rider has experienced headshake, wobble or a weave of some sort it could be rider induced so the bike is not totally to blame in all cases.
I've been guilty of it myself a few times and knew it when it happened so you learn that bad inputs get bad results.

BD
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
620 Posts
yea i could have caused mine, i dunno. I think what happened was when the front tire came in contact with the road again i think i hit something and thats what caused it. it all happened so fast. i do believe that the stock stearing dampner prevented me from a nasty wreck though
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,427 Posts
Come on fella's
I can see some stuff happenin' with the 04 or 05's with "twitchiness" look at the geometry and the riding style/setup of most riders. The initial read for me was the ride was tracking the road. Cool beans, stay loose and ride it.

Personnally though, on the 06 anyhows, I am not even sure why it needs a damper. The fricken thing is solid with good tires, suspension and a little rider know how. Not that I have worked that out yet, so do not ask.

When you dent the tank or the frame in a "twitch", then you will know a slapper has happened. You may be changing your shorts also.

Relax and trust your setup I guess is the big key.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
34,537 Posts
Dragone said:
Come on fella's
I can see some stuff happenin' with the 04 or 05's with "twitchiness" look at the geometry and the riding style/setup of most riders. The initial read for me was the ride was tracking the road. Cool beans, stay loose and ride it.

Personnally though, on the 06 anyhows, I am not even sure why it needs a damper. The fricken thing is solid with good tires, suspension and a little rider know how. Not that I have worked that out yet, so do not ask.
well if ya ride it like a ninny all the time no wonder ya don't feel it needs one....:lol: BTW have ya worked out that suspension & tires yet?

BD
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,255 Posts
Honestly 8 out of 10 of the deals that get called s slapper are rider error! These bikes like to dance around a bit when the suspention has a lite load on the front under accel. DON'T fight it!!! The input against it causes you to feel out of control, and you begin to put more input the wrong direction. The chasis responds in a negative way. Just relax and ride it out. I've had my 10R maxed out in 6th many times and I didn't have a damper till yesterday. The only reason I have one now is because the guy that I'm going to get to be my 140 pound jockey don't like NOT having one. I want him to feel safe. BAD TIRES cause most of the problems people feel. A bad tire can have plenty of rubber left and still be bad. Tire profile also will cause problems. PP's are very pointy up front and tend to be a little more twitchy as well. Bt014's are very round like the OEM tire and tend to NOT cause as much problem. It's a combination of small things that make big problems.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
The bars were quite a bit slower than this: :headshake and pretty mild, but it was consistent in it's occilations.

And yes, I was pretty tight on the bars-I certainly wasn't loose, and I know this can generate unwanted sh!t to the bike and I think I conciously loosened up a bit to compensate, and gradually let off not long after I saw 160++ flash on by.

I'm waiting for the bike to break in a little further and was goinf to get the suspension set up for my weight over at the local race shop.

I checked the dampner, and it was 5 clicks off of full damp.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,427 Posts
Big Daddy said:
well if ya ride it like a ninny all the time no wonder ya don't feel it needs one....:lol: BTW have ya worked out that suspension & tires yet?

BD
lol, good one BD.
Looks like the .925kg and the 520lb springs will be coming my way. Will most likely spoon the non oem Q's on at the same time.

Now back to the topic! lol
 
1 - 20 of 20 Posts
Top