Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been through the better suspension threads, and have been able to sort a good portion of my issues out, but I'd like a bit of input.

08 10r, stock everything. Had some wallowing issues at speed though sweepers, and even slightly tighter corners. I wound up taking some of the pre-load out of the front and stiffening the rear up (compression) a bit. That seems to have addressed the wallowing issue for the most part. (I still get a swaying feeling through the sweepers, like the front is compressing and rebounding slowly), but not nearly as bad a previous.

What seems to have happened as a side effect is some pretty severe headshake over slightly rougher roads at speed. Last round got me fed up, as it was bad enough to get me thinking about the tank slapping me.

Ultimately I'm a bit unsure as to what the correct operations are to address these issues.

Sag was set, although I"m not 100% confident that it's near perfect, but should be close enough to move forward.

Any thoughts?

·
Registered
971 Posts
I once rode a bike with the steering damper wound too tight, it would wallow through turns because the damper wouldn't allow the steering to track smoothly.

How tight is your damper wound up?

Alternatively, how tight are you holding the bars? Maybe over-compensating due to being nervous?

How much do you weigh? May help for others to diagnose or advise too.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm about 170-175lbs. I do have the dampner wound up some, but have been incrementally twisting it looser, as I had it cranked to try to band-aid the headshake issues. I'll definitely try backing it off some.
I'm not too harsh on the bars, I'm usually comfortable, but very well may be gripping a bit too tight, given the recent issues.

Thanks for the input!

·
Registered
175 Posts
Dan Kyle rebuilds the ohlins stock dampner so it works correctly for under $100. Also don't know if your sag/suspension set up by a pro for your weight cause stock rear too soft/front too stiff, makes a huge difference! Good luck.

·
Guilty by association
8,751 Posts
yea, it sounds like your front and rear sus. are out of balance. there was a great video post here about a week ago explaining in detail how to fix her up for YOU.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts