Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Mythical Mod of Yore
4,465 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
cant believe any manufacturers are still using halogen headlights on motorbikes. rode the new '18 home from the office in the dark a couple nights ago. the headlights leave a lot to be desired. what is the standard 'accepted' replacement for the stock bulbs? HIDs? LEDs? im not looking to be cool and blue. im not looking to blind people. im looking to put real, usable bulbs in that have a decent cutoff and a lot more lumens than the stock halogens. appreciate any 'been there, done that' input.

·
Registered
434 Posts
I use the most plus brand leds in all my bikes, cheap and brighter than any hid I've seen, draws alot less voltage also.

·
Registered
146 Posts
cant believe any manufacturers are still using halogen headlights on motorbikes. rode the new '18 home from the office in the dark a couple nights ago. the headlights leave a lot to be desired. what is the standard 'accepted' replacement for the stock bulbs? HIDs? LEDs? im not looking to be cool and blue. im not looking to blind people. im looking to put real, usable bulbs in that have a decent cutoff and a lot more lumens than the stock halogens. appreciate any 'been there, done that' input.
Are you sure your headlights are adjusted properly? Might want to take a look at that and confirm before blowing money on something that is not cool and blue or looking to blind people, only to realize they are no better that your OEM.

For reference, I ride a '16, and I think they are very good. When I first got the bike from dealer, the high beam was not aligned correctly, low beam was spot on.

·
Mythical Mod of Yore
4,465 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Are you sure your headlights are adjusted properly? Might want to take a look at that and confirm before blowing money on something that is not cool and blue or looking to blind people, only to realize they are no better that your OEM.

For reference, I ride a '16, and I think they are very good. When I first got the bike from dealer, the high beam was not aligned correctly, low beam was spot on.
thanks...ill take a look and make sure but the light output seems to be significantly less than that of the LEDs on the diavel i just sold

·
Registered
2018 ZX10R SE
1,116 Posts
I have led headlights on my bike. takes some cutting off the caps on the back of the housing to make them fit but they are stupid bright. if u want I'll post a couple pics

·
Registered
434 Posts
All gens of zx10r share the same simple headlight design, all respond well to the right type of led bulbs and will most def outshine a normal halogen with alot less draw on the electrical system, but using the right bulb type is key and they will fit with the stock caps and no cutting if you get the slim fan bulbs.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Morimoto Bi-Xenon H1's. Be ready to do some mods to the housing to make them work. I did those to my gen4. Light output is incredible. Also, you turn both left and right light into low/high beams. No longer light up more of the right side of the road then the left. It's a tight fit inside the headlight housing, but you can make it work.

Bi-Xenon:
http://www.morimotohid.com/bi-xenon-mini-h1-7-0-projectors.html

Install:
https://www.zx-10r.net/forum/f23/how-lights-retrofit-source-256042.html#/topics/256042?page=1

·
Registered
434 Posts
These are cheap yet the best led bulbs I've used. I've tried alot.exact same bulb as the much more expensive opt7 .slim enough to fit bulb and ballast inside headlight without cutting caps at all.

Attachments

·
Mythical Mod of Yore
4,465 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
These are cheap yet the best led bulbs I've used. I've tried alot.exact same bulb as the much more expensive opt7 .slim enough to fit bulb and ballast inside headlight without cutting caps at all.
awesome. THANKS! just ordered a pair.

·
Registered
2018 ZX10R SE
1,116 Posts
those will fit inside the caps? doesn't that let them get a bit hot, ie... contribute to early failure? I have seen the fanless style that would fit 100% but wasn't sure if they would be reliable. thanks for the info man

·
Registered
434 Posts
It's a close fit but they did fit. My gen 1 is going on 2 years with a set with no heating issues, hardest part is tucking the ballast inside the lens housing and the wire clip will have to be gently pushed in while positioning the bulb but I assure you they do fit if done right, my gen 4 has them also, just make sure you order the smaller fan style that I posted

·
Registered
434 Posts
Also make sure you get the bulbs fully clocked right, the leds are designed to face certain direction in the housing or they won't shine right, you'll need to reaim headlight after, I run high/low all the time so my high beam is re aimed to match my low also.

·
Registered
2016 Kawasaki ZX-10R KRT ABS Edition
683 Posts
I installed some of those BiXenon bulbs and it really made a difference. HID's would be better but their so prone to burning out ballasts after a year I decided bulbs would be much easier to install, no require any additional wiring or drilling, and be easier to replace (just run to Meijer or AutoZone and pick one up). I think they we're like $30 total.

·
Registered
297 Posts

being in thailand i get stuff from china much faster if i order from the chinese sites rather than ebay, so i just ordered these... hoping they fit, i used the ones you linked as a visual reference, these seem to have fairly small measurments (lenghtwise)... and the stats are good, 12k rpm fan should help them stay cool, and 12k lumen (6k per light)... hopefully they fit... if not ill just resell them to someone else locally who can use them in their car or whatever... only paid $25 so its worht a try.

·
Registered
434 Posts
The reason that I use the most plus brand is they are the opt7 bulbs at a much lower price, and the domed design of the 2 leds project even light, I can't vouch for the ones in the other pic. I've tried a few diff styles and the most plus was the only one I'm happy with

Reactions: TheRoadWarrior
1 - 20 of 34 Posts