Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Cross-Eyed Cat
339 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2009 ZX-10R.

Got on the bike today...flipped the switch to turn on the highbeams...and no blue light on my gauge display...? Got off the bike and looed at the headlights...both not working.

The running lights work.

I checked the fuses...good.

The bulbs are good.

Took the handlebar thumb control dealy-bob thing apart and the high-low switch looks good...no broken connections.

So, what do you all think?

I've had this Bike for just over a month.

Thanks for your help...

Liam

·
Dont mess wit White Ninja
5,932 Posts
take it back to the stealership where it came from you have a warranty, dont touch anything!!! Make them do it!!! Just make sure you know that the place is good when it comes to working on bikes, or else and thats all I'm going to say!!!

·
Registered
3,019 Posts
same things actually happened to me on the high way i hit a bumb boom they stoped working but everything (engine) continued working....then i pulled into a gas station hit a speed bumb and they turned back on was kinda weird....maybe its a faulty connection or switch?

·
Registered
100 Posts
ok i will ask a stupid question .. was the bike running? or did kawi do away with the no lights till its started thing?

·
Cross-Eyed Cat
339 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
ok i will ask a stupid question .. was the bike running? or did kawi do away with the no lights till its started thing?
Yeah, the bike was running... I was actually rolling out when I switched on my high-beams and noticed my little "blue" hi-beam light not on. I stopped, got off the bike while it was still running and looked at the lights. Running lights on...headlights off! I continued to ride anyway as my wife and I were on our way to lunch, and she rode past and checked in here side mirror just to verify...they were off.

The dealership where I bought it is doing a change over, so they can;t even see the bike till Tuesday. I checked with FBC here in SD and they are all booked up too. So I'm fvcked for this weekend.

I Just got my HID kit in the mail...and I'm wondering if I should install it and see if I can run across the problem whle in the process...or if I should just wait it out and take it in to the pros and have them check it out.

thoughts?

·
Registered
536 Posts
Did you do anything with the wiring at all? Also I know you said you checked the fuse but your fuse box comes with spares, replace it with one of the spares just to make sure and possible save you time.

·
Cross-Eyed Cat
339 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Did you do anything with the wiring at all? Also I know you said you checked the fuse but your fuse box comes with spares, replace it with one of the spares just to make sure and possible save you time.
naw, I haven't messed with any electrical at all...just checked the fuses.

·
Registered
1,400 Posts
Had the same problem with my 07' ZX6R a few weeks ago, blown headlight fuse from having my Starlights HID bulbs in. I removed the blown 10A fuse and installed a 15A fuse and haven't had anymore problems.

·
Cross-Eyed Cat
339 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Smarter than the average bear...

FIXED - IT!

So, I spent most of day thinking...:dontknow:

I knew it was too strange for this shit to happen.

I thought, why would my headlights just stop working...?

I sat on my bike while drinking a beer and turned on the key...then I saw it. :idea:

It wasn't just the Hi-Beam light that wasn't coming on...but my fuel light wasn't flashing like it should when you first turn the key on.

So, I started looking for a loose connection...under the seat - no. Under the pillion cowl - no...then I thought something else...I had my undertail kit put on at the stealership (part of the sale)...I thought, is it possible the tech accidently caused a loose connection somewhere?

I took of that plastic piece that separates the rider seat from the pillion cowl...and there lies the ECU? (<---I'm guessing). Anyway, looking at the 3 wiring harness plugs, I notice the middle one is half way off! :eyecrazy:

I snap it back in, fire up the bike, and holy shit! Everything works and is back to normal! :eek:ccasion1

Then, I start to think again, how did this thing get halfway off!? :deadhorse

I think the tech did it on purpose! I mean, no major systems were disrupted...I could still ride the bike...just no headlights! I figure it was a shady ploy to get me back in for repairs...and just that would have probably been around $200 bones...after the tech had to "search" for the problem.

Mutha Fvckas! :thefinger

So, all is well...and! I went ahead and installed my HIDs...holy crap! I went from warm piss colored headlights to "super nova" star light eye killers! I have the DDM 55W 6000K HIDs and they are AWESOME! You can't even look at them...they hurt your eyes! :cool:

So, in the end, thanks for your suggestions and help...but as it turns out, I win this time!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts