Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Slow Poke
5,584 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have an 05 10 and my bike hasn't always done this, not quite sure but think it started doin it about the time i put my new motor in. I always ride with my brights on so this is the only way i can tell that it happens. but every once in a while when I hit a big enough bump my headlght will go off. i can only tell cuz my brightlight indicator will go off. and i have to slow down to exactly 14mph and it will come back on. does anyone have a clue why this might happen?

·
Licensed Dist of HaterAde
11,423 Posts
Probably a wiring issue or something as simple as a loose plug, a plug not making/keeping constant connection somewhere, i use to have an 01' gixxer 750 that did the same thing BUT that gen of gixxers had a plug problem that was kinda well known amoung alot of owners.

·
11,423 Posts
The 14 mph thing is what throws me off the most i think? now that IS strange man! any luck yet?

·
Slow Poke
5,584 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
no not yet. I haven't even messed with it. I wish i still had my tank mount so i could take a video of it. Its just really crazy that excatly 14mph it comes back on. I do have some relays under my seat for my alarm and its pretty tight in there, maybe they're rubbing on somethin. because i used to have to hit a really big bump for the headlight to go off, and now just about any little bump on the highway will turn it off. oh and it is only highway speeds, city streets 40-50mph it won't go off

·
Registered
2,528 Posts
Are you sure the headlight is going out as well or is it just the indicator light on the gauge going out?

·
Registered
184 Posts
I wouldn't think the blue light on the gauges would go out if it was a filament issue - On the 05 the bulbs are the same on both sides, why not try swapping them for a little?

·
11,423 Posts
Please let us know what it turns out to be? i'm very curious now if it is the bulbs or a wiring-relay issue? electrical problems are always so much fun. hopefully the HID kit will cure it eitherway though!!

·
Registered
643 Posts
The 14mph throws me off also. Plus headlight and high beam indicator both going out??? When you get your HIDS in the new bulbs hopefully will cure it. Plus it will be new relays and wiring, have you checked, pulled all fuses and made sure they are in and seated properly, all grounds????
Just an idea but does bike cut out of miss???? If so I know it soundss simple but I had a similiar issue and it was simply the negative lead on the battery having come loose after I had replaced it. My 2 cents

·
Slow Poke
5,584 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yeah hopefully the HID's will fix it. as far as wireing, i believe they just plug right into the stock eadlight harness. and when the headlight goes out, the bike still runs completely fine. during the day on the highway hen it goes off i'll just keep riding till i get where i'm going. but I haven't checked anything yet. don't have much time in between school and work. i'm gona go over it this weekend. i have some relays stuffed under my seat for my alarm,and maybe its to tight in there and they've jarred something. but i'll just have too see

·
Registered
15 Posts
Hey man i had the same problem but i took off my seat and checked all my connections and found that one had a snag going into the relay i placed new ends on it and boom havent had a problem since, just make sure you go through your wiring well just my 2 cents hope you get it. Pain in the ass riding with no lights not to mention frustrating.

·
Registered
1,030 Posts
Hey man i had the same problem but i took off my seat and checked all my connections and found that one had a snag going into the relay i placed new ends on it and boom havent had a problem since, just make sure you go through your wiring well just my 2 cents hope you get it. Pain in the ass riding with no lights not to mention frustrating.
Location? Pics? I have low beam but no high beam, replaced the bulb. :dontknow:

·
Registered
1,025 Posts
ok now my mechanic buddy says it might be the actual headliht bulbs. he says the fillamint might be weak and bumps are makin it go out. so have some HID's on the way
dont mean to bash on your "mechanic", but if he says the filament is "weak" then i would question his "mechaniculous" skills lol

i could be a busted relay, check the lights relay, i dont see why a big bump could not knock the copper connecting bar inside the relay on and off. just a thought

·
Slow Poke
5,584 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
dont mean to bash on your "mechanic", but if he says the filament is "weak" then i would question his "mechaniculous" skills lol

i could be a busted relay, check the lights relay, i dont see why a big bump could not knock the copper connecting bar inside the relay on and off. just a thought
well considering my mechanic did my whole nitrous system. rebuilt my whole motor. and has a stock bore busa himself that goes 8.70's i wouldn't question his ability at all. "mechanic" wise. he's quite capable

1 - 20 of 26 Posts