Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know that exhaust has been discussed to death, and I've used the search. I have a question, and I would like to know everyone's opinion. I currently have a Hindle Ti slip on, but it's kinda quiet. I've thought about cutting the can but I'd hate to ruin a nice can. I've been looking at the dan moto carbon slip-ons and the race fits. I like the way they look, and as far as sound goes I'm looking for a mean growl(not obnoxious though). The stock header is still on there, it's made of Ti right? Is there any benefit to a different header? I know that changing the header will get rid of that servo, but is there anything I will have to do to the electronics? Basically what I want to know, is it worth it to spend $1000+ for a full system or will a nice slip-on serve me well? Thank you for any input.

·
Licensed Dist of HaterAde
11,423 Posts
IF i hadn't gotten a good deal on my full system then i'd still be running a slipon honestly....there might be a small benefit from some aftermarket headers as far as more flow but you wouldn't have to do anything except tie the servo cables up out of the way. hindles aren't the loudest cans as it is so i'd chop off about 4" and start from there. some guys may suggest removing a "small" amount of the packing as well if you wanted it a little louder but if you cut it down and do it right then it will look like it came from the factory like that AND the canister won't almost stick passed the ass off the bike. there was a guy on ebay who had a few new sets of ti muzzy and hindle headers for $300-$400 but even at that, if you're not tracking the bike or going for all out HP #'s...simply wanting a better sound, i'd just chop the pipe down and put that $1K into some other mods like the suspension.

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks TMY. That's what I was thinking of doing, but every time I mention it to my buddy he says it would be a sin to murder the Hindle. I will probably end up cutting it though. I'm just tired of having this beast sound anemic, he's got a 97 ZX6E with a full muzzy system that sounds a lot meaner than my beast that can whip him all day.

·
11,423 Posts
chop that rascal down a few inches and i think you'll be happy man....nothing to it and like i said, if it's done right then it will look like it came that way from the manf.

·
Registered
390 Posts
Finally broke down and spent the money to buy a full system from a reputable company "Tsukigi". I had the stock header and an M4 slip on prior to the full Tsukigi - and to be completely honest the difference in performance between the two is probably only 4 hspwr. The Tuskigi sounds meaner - it has a very distinct growl to it but thats because the stock header and M4 midpipe are 2" diameter and the Tsukigi is 2 5/8" diameter from the collector all the way through the cannister. If sound is what your after just do a quality "chop job" b/c the differences between the stock header with a reputable slip on and a full system (reputable) is only a few hspwr. Just as a side note: the difference between a cheap full system and a reputable full system is significant. I believe my stock header and slip on perform better than Yoshi full. just MHO.
:eek:ccasion1

·
Registered
294 Posts
cutting the pipe def makes a difference in sound..my 10 came with a micron..same day i took about 5 inches off of it and it def changed the tone..its loud but not loud enough to be considered a nuissance or draw too much attention from the red and blues

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
So here's what I've got now.

I would plan on cutting it where the black line is(pretty much in half)

Its a titanium can, but I had thoughts about painting the can and mid pipe black due to some marks on the can from the hanger, what do you guys think? Also should I try and hunt down another sticker for it? This will have to wait till we get settled in NC, so I'm just trying to get ideas and input. Also any tips on cutting the can?

·
Registered
145 Posts
In my experience the stock header is pretty tough to beat. I had a full Yoshi system on my '05 ZX10 when I bought it. I swapped the Yoshi header for a stocker and am much happier for having done so.
The stock header produced 10+ HP between 6500rpm and 10500rpm over the Yoshi. That huge gain in the bottom/ mid range has made the bike SO MUCH more enjoyable to ride, especially on the street.
IMO, the aftermarkets have a really tough job of trying to make signifgant power improvements over factory headers by todays standards.

·
Registered
390 Posts
I wouldnt cut quite that much off - only about 4-5 inches would be enough to remove - but i wouldnt cut the pipe in 1/2. IMHO:wink:

·
11,423 Posts
I wouldnt cut quite that much off - only about 4-5 inches would be enough to remove - but i wouldnt cut the pipe in 1/2. IMHO:wink:
:+1:...i always start with about 4" and go from there.....you want to keep the pipe long enough to still have enough back pressure or no matter how good it sounds...you stand a chance of starting to lose power.maybe cut it where the strap begins on the pipe and if you're worried about the line it will leave and show then simply pop off the name plate and cut from the outlet to where when you put the badge back on it will cover the 2nd or furthest back rivet hole.

Attachments

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
maybe cut it where the strap begins on the pipe and if you're worried about the line it will leave and show then simply pop off the name plate and cut from the outlet to where when you put the badge back on it will cover the 2nd or furthest back rivet hole.
Could you explain that again. What strap are you referring to? The name plate on mine is a sticker. Is it easier to cut the bottom or the top of the can?

·
Registered
5,228 Posts
Cut it from the inlet side so you don't have to move your sticker. TMY and oxthegrunt, your cans look like bazookas. Are you sure they aren't for a diesel?

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
Cut it from the inlet side so you don't have to move your sticker. TMY and oxthegrunt, your cans look like bazookas. Are you sure they aren't for a diesel?
I won't disagree with you. They are rather large. I was looking at something along the lines of a dan moto, or racefit growler. I like the way those look aesthetically. I bought the bike with this exhaust on it. It doesn't have a damper on it, so I'm looking at a cheap way to fix the exhaust so I can buy a damper. The sticker needs to be replaced anyway, and I'm thinking about going without one.

·
11,423 Posts
Could you explain that again. What strap are you referring to? The name plate on mine is a sticker. Is it easier to cut the bottom or the top of the can?
my can is actually cut down to 16" ...... and if you cut from the inlet side and don't cut past where the mount strap is on a titanium can then you're going to have the nice "wear" line-mark from the strap which is the reason i suggested cutting from the outlet...but wtf would i know, i've only done a hundred or so of these by now.:mrgreen:...Oh and OX is the OP asking about cutting the exhaust ya genius, that might be the reason his hindle is still full size!!!! what are you running? i REALLY hope it's NOT that poor murdered carbon arata in your gallery bro? :badteeth:(which would look pretty sick if you'd move the badge from under the strap) :eek:ccasion1...to each his own i guess, that's what makes us all special!! here she is a couple months ago and i don't "think" it looks like there's a bazooka strapped to the side? does it? and OX, definately get a damper for that bad boy!!! still don't understand why kawi didn't put even a shitty one as stock equipment on them?

Attachments

·
11,423 Posts
I could just have shervin make me a new can too> :spit::crackup:
:lol::lol:That is another option!......the strap i'm talking about is the exhaust strap that goes around the pipe itself, alot of times on titanium pipes they will leave a nice and obvious wear area where they use to sit so that when you cut from the inlet side and the pipe slides down....the wear area shows. this was the only reason i suggested cutting from the inlet since it would make the can look much cleaner by keeping the strap location the exact same and all you'd have to do is replace the decal or move the name plate..IF you chose to run one. not if you're going to cut the can almost in half then it wouldn't matter where you cut from. i still have your # from when you helped me with my shift light man......check your mail.

·
Registered
5,228 Posts
I like my Arata:

I have moved the strap since this pic. TMY is right about marks left on the can from the strap. My bike isn't a show bike though.

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I'm not sure about the marks, I'm thinking about painting the can. I'm definitely going to cut it down, unless someone wants to buy it. I'm about to be without her for a while. The movers are going to crate her up wednesday or thursday, and I won't see her till february of march :sad: When I finally get ahold of her again I'm gonna spend lots of time with her. If anyone lives near Camp Lejeune NC let me know.

·
Registered
57 Posts
So 06-07 headers fit the 05 10 ??
The 06-07 headers are titanium right, and it's a direct fit to cylinder head and mounting points ? Will I have to use 05 or 06 slip on ?

1 - 20 of 22 Posts