Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
339 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am considering wrapping my headers w/ teflon. Anyone notice a considerable increase in hp/torque/sound?

·
Registered
1,465 Posts
interested

·
Newfie Bullet
2,341 Posts
12.5 hp and 13 ft lbs of torque when you wrap yer headers...\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\dont forget it adds fuel milage bt 3 mpg and helps you corner cause it lowers the center of gravity...Seeing you add weight to the front end it helps stunters to do endos as well..

·
Registered
3,318 Posts
Wow and you guys wonder why people bounce. :headshake

Quit being dick bags
:+1:
I think my post regarding Garth sums it up.
if you can't say something nice/postive shute the [email protected] up

Now in answering your question a couple of things:
Any horsepower/torque gains - probably not though it will keep you engine temp lower due to the fact that there will not be any radiating heat from the headers/exhaust.
Noise level - the same
Performance gains would be minimal at best but there is an increase in comfort as the under fairing temps go down.
Problem is if it gets wet (caught in rain) there is a chance that you could corrode you exhaust (dependant on materials)

FYI - try using the search function to keep yourself out of trouble.

·
Speed Freak
12,730 Posts
:+1::+2:

it will keep some temps down but theres only so many places heat can escape from. I dont like header wrap just because it gets pretty dirty down by the pipe area and it will look great all until you ride in the rain and pick up a buncha of things like oils and rubbers from the road.. If anything I'd do a JET-HOT type ceramic coating to them.

:eek:ccasion1

·
Registered
819 Posts
Like I sent in my PM wrapping the stock exhaust is going to cut its life down quite a bit. The ti they use will become very very brittle and fall apart
:thumbsup:

·
Premium Member
4,392 Posts
I wouldn't do it. I'd suggest using a coating of some sort instead.

·
Guilty by association
8,751 Posts
Ceramic FTW.

Any place that does *good* powdercoating work should also be able to ceramic coat parts for you.
word, and it looks cleaner IMO coated than wrapped.

·
Registered
312 Posts
I wrapped my headers on my old V Max just to cut down on heat and it worked great for that purpose and sort of gave it an old school hot rod look TO ME. I chose to do the wrap over the spray for a number of reasons and was happy with the outcome. I should have done it when I had my exhaust put on the 10 and would if I had the chance again. Good luck with whatever you do.

·
Newfie Bullet
2,341 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Then only thing about wraps is that they trap moisture. On lesser parts, the oxidation process multiplied. Had issues like this on exhaust manifolds on turbo applications on more than one occasion. Then best solution we found was to actually have the parts ceramic coated first, then wrap them.

No idea how these parts would respond to the trapped moisture, but food for thought in any case.

·
Registered
339 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Then only thing about wraps is that they trap moisture. On lesser parts, the oxidation process multiplied. Had issues like this on exhaust manifolds on turbo applications on more than one occasion. Then best solution we found was to actually have the parts ceramic coated first, then wrap them.

No idea how these parts would respond to the trapped moisture, but food for thought in any case.
I wonder if that would work for titanium, anyone know?

·
Registered
39 Posts
wrapped my header all the way to the boom box. dont know if it helped anything but it def feels cooler when stopping at lights and in traffic. i wouldnt worry about the header rusting out, it would take forever. like 10+ years forever.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts