Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1,369 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
can you run a bike with just the header and no mid pipe or muffler. i took my slipon off and i was going polish it when my 2 year old and 5 year old decided to smash it with a hammer.they crushed the mid pipe and the muffler was untouched.Can i run the bike with just the header. i took the bike around the block and it seem to run great .can i ride it like that or will it hurt the motor? i just dont want to be without a bike if i have too.thanks.

·
Registered
1,945 Posts
you;ll have like zero back pressure but i see no harm in running that way.

·
Registered
363 Posts
You can run it that way. Its pretty loud. I ran all my motors that way when I first installed them without any problems with the valves.

·
Registered
424 Posts
DethsZX10 said:
Would this happen to any engine cause alot of cars, mainly drag cars run open headers and theyve been doing this for years??
I think it's prolong use that damages the engine. Drag racers run in short bursts and overhaul the engine frequently. Just a guess tho

·
Supercharged Mod
4,391 Posts
I'm guessing the "excessive noise" ticket that you are going to get from the local constabulary and the complaints from your neighbors will motivate the purchase of a replacement proper exhaust system ...

·
Registered
1,369 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
GoFaster said:
I'm guessing the "excessive noise" ticket that you are going to get from the local constabulary and the complaints from your neighbors will motivate the purchase of a replacement proper exhaust system ...
i was running a D&D with the packing out of it so i dont think the neighbors are going to complain.they should of already.i get home from work at 4:00am every night. the cops never bothered me about the exhaust just the speeding. :eyecrazy:i live in the motor city every sport car,muscle car, or bike is loud.i just want to know if it will hurt my engine.thanks guys.

·
Registered
4,682 Posts
DethsZX10 said:
Would this happen to any engine cause alot of cars, mainly drag cars run open headers and theyve been doing this for years??
What they do is run then stuff tennis balls in the pipes as soon as the car is done. What happens is your pushing hot air out. then when you shut down cold air rushes in to fill the void. next stop Engine heat metal cool mettal heat metal cool metal= week metal crystalized exaust vaulves
This is why they stuff tennis balls to stop the cold air

·
Registered
189 Posts
I think you may damage the engine if you were running without any headers but if you are running a stock exhaust system with the flapper valve still in place I doubt you would do any damage at all. I have known quite a few people that have ran motorcycles like this with out any valve trouble. Take a look at the racefit slash cut slip-ons for example, they are basically just a short slash cut pipe attached directly to the headpipe. I also wonder if the Ti exhaust valves in our bikes are more durable than the steel type in some other bikes?

·
Registered
5,228 Posts
Don't worry about "crystalizing" the exhaust valve. You will be more prone to burning a valve or piston from running to lean. Throw it on a dyno with an exhaust sniffer to make sure your'e not going to blow it up.

·
Registered
469 Posts
So I guess all the idiots on Harleys with drag pipes are going to crystalize their exhaust valves?? :lol:

1 - 20 of 23 Posts