Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been feeling like my bike steering has been a little wierd, so just as an experiment when I was going about 12mph on a straightaway, I let the handlebars go to see what the bike would do. Instead of going straight, the bike (on its own) turned right, then once it moved right a bit, it turned back left, then back right... almost like a really slow tankslapper. The handlebars didn't go all the way left or right, but it was a wierd sensation as I naturally expected the bike to go dead straight when I let go of the bars. Should this happen? Or do I need to get a professional alignment done.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
well, but my zx6r would go straight under the same conditions. are you guys saying the same thing happens with your bikes too?

i guess my question is whether this is an expected behavior for a bike to zig zag, and that a steering damper solves it, OR it might be something else like an alignment issue?

·
Registered
3,204 Posts
I'm having almost the same problem with my blue 04. It has a damper....when I'm on the highway about 70ish, I can feel the handle bars wobble, and I went and tested it and let go and it sure nuff wobbles, doesn't happen with my black 04 or my 05. SMH

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
ninjer, that's really off if that happens with a damper. maybe i should just get the alignment checked?

·
Registered
3,204 Posts
yeahr, somethings not right with my blue one. my rim is true, perhaps my wheels are off balanced or steering stem bearing or.......my bike just has arthritis and shakes a lot!

·
Chairman of the Board
15,998 Posts
Check the head bearings. Also loosen the pinch bolts and axle bolt. Tighten the right side only (pinch bolts). Load and unload your forks a few times then tighten the left. After that, re-tighten your axle. Check your suspension settings to make sure they are indentical (right and left fork). Buy a damper. Thats a HUGE suggestion for any 1st gen owner. Good luck.

·
Registered
2,528 Posts
check the head bearings. Also loosen the pinch bolts and axle bolt. Tighten the right side only (pinch bolts). Load and unload your forks a few times then tighten the left. After that, re-tighten your axle. Check your suspension settings to make sure they are indentical (right and left fork). Buy a damper. Thats a huge suggestion for any 1st gen owner. Good luck.
:+1:

·
Licensed Dist of HaterAde
11,423 Posts
Check the head bearings. Also loosen the pinch bolts and axle bolt. Tighten the right side only (pinch bolts). Load and unload your forks a few times then tighten the left. After that, re-tighten your axle. Check your suspension settings to make sure they are indentical (right and left fork). Buy a damper. Thats a HUGE suggestion for any 1st gen owner. Good luck.
:+2:This is a known problem on the 1st gen,,,,,,i shoulda thought of that!!:eek:ccasion1

1 - 13 of 13 Posts