Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,025 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey guys,
my steering column clicks when i brake. Both bearings (top and bottom) cost $50, and i dont wana buy two. Can i just buy the one thats bad? or are they both bad?

Which one usually goes bad?

·
PostWhore
13,496 Posts
You know they are bad, or just loose?

·
Registered
586 Posts
Mine did that for a while before I got around to getting it fixed. Turns out they can usually be retorqued successfully. They only need replaced if there are grooves in the races or the bearings are bad, either way you wont know until you retorque it.

·
Registered
1,971 Posts
Your suppose to torque them to a certain pounds per square inch then back it off a certain amount. You need a proper tools to tighten the nuts.

·
Registered
586 Posts
On my gixxer (Im sure the Kawis are similar) the front of the bike needs to be lifted, the steering damper needs to be removed then the LOWER spanner nut gets torqued to spec. Then there is a friction check, the bars are turned and the force needed to move it is measured.

Its not a hard job but if you dont have a front stand, or are not willing to say hang the front end from an overhead beam or hoist, its easier to pay a shop to do it. If you dont have a manual you will need to do some research to find the correct procedure and values as well.

When I took my bike in for inspection I expected to have to replace the bearings and races but a simple retorque fixed it. Cheap and quick to get it retorqued, if you wait too long and damage the bearings and or races it will definitely cost you. Look at how much needs to be removed to get the top and bottom triple trees apart from your frame.

·
Registered
916 Posts
so the steering makes a clicking noise? and probably locks a bit sometimes when moving left to right?
that means the bearings are damaged, it can be the UPPER or LOWER one... the only fix for this is replacement! ... both...always change them as a pair!
throw them shitty ball bearings away and get some good quality roller bearings and get them put in to specs and all will be good :mrgreen:

·
The Movie Goer!
6,853 Posts
Wow man seems like you're having alot of front end problems with your bike? :dontknow:

hey guys,
my steering column clicks when i brake. Both bearings (top and bottom) cost $50, and i dont wana buy two. Can i just buy the one thats bad? or are they both bad?

Which one usually goes bad?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts