Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
427 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello; Mike here. I have a Gen 3 with a Carpenter engine that makes 188 RWHP on a known stingy dyno. The bike in crazy fast, and handles very well. It gets ridden very aggressively on the street, and I also do track days. I am getting a lot of head shakes when on the gas hard, especially at higher speeds. I have a Scott's steering dampner on the bike which obviously helps, but I still get them badly. I have the stronger spring on the rear shock from Race Tech, and I have 3 lines showing on the front fork preload. Any ideas from the suspension guru's what to do to lessen the head shakes? Back off the preload? Raise the back of the bike? Slide the forks up through the triple trees some? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks. Mike.

·
Registered
2,653 Posts
Start with the simplest issues known to cause this...Wheels/tires?
are they straight and balanced properly?

·
Registered
320 Posts
Well tighten up your damper! I have a scotts as well and I keep mine about a half turn from full stiff and have no problems.

Sent from my Motorcycle iPhone app
:+1: I have a gpr and it goes 0-20 on the stiffness and im at 10...got a little headshake yesterday tightened it to 14....no problems! lol

·
Registered
231 Posts
:thumbsup:front tire pressure, let some air out, the tire absorbs a lot of impact. hope this helps.

Battleax Hypersports bt016.

·
Squid wannabe
6,073 Posts
How hard are you holding to the bars?

Dont go stiffening up the damper, it will only mask the problem.

If you are riding "right" and still getting a lot of shake it is a chassis problem, fixing it will be a lot better than just cranking the damper.

·
REPOST Enforcement Mod
14,339 Posts
How hard are you holding to the bars?

Dont go stiffening up the damper, it will only mask the problem.

If you are riding "right" and still getting a lot of shake it is a chassis problem, fixing it will be a lot better than just cranking the damper.
+1000

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
427 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The wheels are relatively new Marchesini's, and the tires were mounted, and balanced by the same place that always does them for me, so I don't think that is it. I have been riding for 30 years, and always on sportbikes, and I have ridden very hard for the last 20. I am very used to very high HP bikes, and high speed riding. I have had Scott's dampners on all of my bikes for the last 12 years, and am very familiar with them. I have it fairly tight now. I know that just cranking the dampner up is just masking something else, and besides I do not want to be fighting the dampner that much every time I turn. The bike is a real beast. It will effortlessly power wheelie at 140 in 4th. I've had it come up in 5th, and even 6th when it is cold out. I'm fine with that, but it just seems like whenever it does power wheelie at high speed it wants to shake it head. I have my suspension stiff as that is what I like for the hard riding that I do, but I just think it is a geometry issue. I was thinking maybe to slide the forks up through the triple tree's a little, and raise the rear end a little to change the pitch angle of the bike, and maybe that would help. I've never really messed with suspension settings that much, I've always worried more about the HP issue. I certainly have that covered with this bike, so now I need to get the suspension to handle it. I know there are plenty of people on this board who have a lot of suspension experience and that is why I asked. I do appreciate all of the help. Thanks. Mike.

·
Registered
2,143 Posts
Impressed with ur bike. Have u ever ran a gen 4 or bmw? Sounds like you'd at least smoke the gen 4..:dontknow:

·
Squid wannabe
6,073 Posts
The wheels are relatively new Marchesini's, and the tires were mounted, and balanced by the same place that always does them for me, so I don't think that is it. I have been riding for 30 years, and always on sportbikes, and I have ridden very hard for the last 20. I am very used to very high HP bikes, and high speed riding. I have had Scott's dampners on all of my bikes for the last 12 years, and am very familiar with them. I have it fairly tight now. I know that just cranking the dampner up is just masking something else, and besides I do not want to be fighting the dampner that much every time I turn. The bike is a real beast. It will effortlessly power wheelie at 140 in 4th. I've had it come up in 5th, and even 6th when it is cold out. I'm fine with that, but it just seems like whenever it does power wheelie at high speed it wants to shake it head. I have my suspension stiff as that is what I like for the hard riding that I do, but I just think it is a geometry issue. I was thinking maybe to slide the forks up through the triple tree's a little, and raise the rear end a little to change the pitch angle of the bike, and maybe that would help. I've never really messed with suspension settings that much, I've always worried more about the HP issue. I certainly have that covered with this bike, so now I need to get the suspension to handle it. I know there are plenty of people on this board who have a lot of suspension experience and that is why I asked. I do appreciate all of the help. Thanks. Mike.

Mike,

Sounds like you know what you are doing.
Two things though, the light weight wheels will make the bike more "twitchy" than the stock rims, as in more unstable.

And 2, actually raising the front will make the bike more stable, maybe you could try that, lower the forks on the tree until they are flush.

·
Registered
427 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
We have a couple guys with Gen 4 10's in our group, but they are not real fast riders. We have about 5 guys with the BMW 1000, and 2 guys with the new HP4. We also have guys with the new Panigale, and also the Aprillia. My 10 is definately the fastest bike when I can stay on the power. My bike makes 89 ft lbs, so it is very torquey. We are going to the closed road ride in Burkesville Ky this coming weekend, so I will try to make some adjustments, and see how it does. Thanks. Mike.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Hi Matey, does the rear suspension buck when you get on the power out of the turns? or is it just happening when on the power in a straight line?

what weight rear spring are you using? and what weight are you?

·
Registered
1,248 Posts
Well tighten up your damper! I have a scotts as well and I keep mine about a half turn from full stiff and have no problems.

Sent from my Motorcycle iPhone app
Lots of guys do it, but I dont agree with cranking up a damper to mask a suspension issue. You would be making the bike hard to turn.

I put magnesium marchesinis on my 05- it was fucking scary turning laps with them. I went back to the oem rims for several reasons.

If the bike is squatting too much and sitting in the bottom of the stroke it can cause some wild movement. Where's the rebound set? Stock shock? Is it shimmed?

·
Registered
427 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I weigh 170 - 175. I have the racetech upgrade spring for my weight on the rear shock, and it feels good. The rear shock is definatly stiff, and does not squat much at all. It feeld good, and the bike handles well. I do have raised handlebars on the bike, and I do sit higher. I'm out in the wind more than normal with those bars, and I'm thinking maybe I need to tuck in behind the fairing more. I do get out over the front end a lot to try to keep it on the ground, so maybe I just need to figure out what it likes, and does not like. Mike.

·
Registered
49 Posts
if you do make any geometry changes I would raise the front end (get the caps flush with the triple) and then possibly lower the rear a couple mm.

·
Late Apex
803 Posts
Yo . I didnt read everyones replies so i apologize if i duplicate what is being sad . I know guys . Sorry . Im just busy but can relate to your problem.

I too get head shake but in certain places and conditions.

A) digging out of corners on the track i get a lil wobble as front end leaves the ground
B) i get a fair amount of head shake when hard on the brakes . Sometimes really bad

A) i just deal with it cause its doing this as the front end lightens
B) was not a condition i would live with so i changed my brake lines, fluid and installed wave rotors. Problem solved .

I know sometimes the rear wheel being crooked will cause the front end to plow as we so dont rule that out when running down the issue

1 - 17 of 17 Posts