Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Guys,

I'm in the process of pulling the head from my bike and have gotten as far as removing the cams but have a question regarding removal of the front cam chain guide. According to the service manual you first need to remove the idle gear and crankshaft sensor. Ok, I have no problems with that. However, you also need to remove the starter clutch and according to page 16-51 in the manual, you need to hold the alternator rotor steady with a rotor holder while you unscrew the starter clutch bolt.

My question is what tool are people using to hold the rotor steady? I'm sure most aren't using the $200+ thingy they're pushing in the service manual.

Thanks!
Damon

·
Registered
149 Posts
Guys,

I'm in the process of pulling the head from my bike and have gotten as far as removing the cams but have a question regarding removal of the front cam chain guide. According to the service manual you first need to remove the idle gear and crankshaft sensor. Ok, I have no problems with that. However, you also need to remove the starter clutch and according to page 16-51 in the manual, you need to hold the alternator rotor steady with a rotor holder while you unscrew the starter clutch bolt.

My question is what tool are people using to hold the rotor steady? I'm sure most aren't using the $200+ thingy they're pushing in the service manual.

Thanks!
Damon
impact gun ..... no really thats what we use:thumbsup:

·
Registered
825 Posts
:iamwithst:thumbsup:
So, to be completely clear, using the rattle gun to take off both the starter clutch and the alternator rotor works ok ?

Thanks,
Brian

EDIT : ignore that, tried it on the alternator and all was good.

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
Better yet, leave the cam chain guide in place, and turn the head 90 degrees and pull. No need to remove anything below the head gasket.

·
Gen 5 Now!!
1,130 Posts
i would remove the cam chain guides. its only 1 pin on 1 and 1 bolt on the other. they only get in the way when they are in place. then you only have to lift the head a little bit. just enough to get over the dowel pins between the head and crankcase.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts