Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello guys,

So, I was out at a friends house last night, and when I started my bike, the head lamps won't turn on :(. It was still some light, so I made it home quick, but I have no idea what is wrong with them.

I think it started after I installed Scorpio Alarm (the alarm works perfectly though). I was having problems, the fuse would burn out. Then I realized, that it only burns out when I go for high beam (both lights together), however, now not even low beam works. As soon as I put in the fuse, it blows up.

I am pretty good with mechanical stuff, but electrical diagnosis bugs me :(.
I will appreciate any help... I am hoping that someone might have had similar problem.
BTW, it is 2006, ZX10R
Thanks again.
take care.

·
MIdlife PIMP
3,459 Posts
you have a short to ground somewhere in your lamp system.....lol.electrical is a bitch,.I know!........best thing ya can do is trace wires and try and find the short!......IDK??
Good luck man!........maybe since the high only would burn a fuse,..then both now,...........maybe it is in the switch......?.....retrace all around where you installed the alarm,........maybe upon putting it all back together,.....you have a pinched wire in your harness?.........

·
Registered
23,742 Posts
Moved...please put tech stuff in performance and tech.....you also might want to state what year your bike is. :idea:

bloo

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
you have a short to ground somewhere in your lamp system.....lol.electrical is a bitch,.I know!........best thing ya can do is trace wires and try and find the short!......IDK??
Good luck man!........maybe since the high only would burn a fuse,..then both now,...........maybe it is in the switch......?.....retrace all around where you installed the alarm,........maybe upon putting it all back together,.....you have a pinched wire in your harness?.........
Thanks man...
That is the answer I was expecting, but it is also a nightmare for me :(
BTW.. it is year 2006

·
Premium Member
4,394 Posts
I had the same problem with my '04: Occasionally it would blow the headlamp fuse when high beam was on. Never happened on low beam, and from the electrical diagram, the fault had to be in the high beam circuit somewhere between the switch and the bulb, and there is another wire leading to the instrument cluster (to the high beam indicator).

It is possible that you have a bad bulb. To find this out, unplug the high beam bulb at the connector and then select high beam and see if the fuse survives. If the fuse doesn't blow with the connector unplugged but the circuit on, it's an easy fix ... replace the bulb.

If the fuse blows when high beam is selected even though the bulb is unplugged, first take apart the high beam switch housing and make sure nothing is ground-faulted inside there.

If no fault is found ... there is no choice but to take the front end of the bike apart and very closely inspect the wiring harness for any spot that the insulation might have been pinched or rubbed through.

When I did mine ... I unwrapped the affected section of harness and couldn't find any visible fault in any part of the wiring that I could access. (I couldn't get to the harness that is built into the headlight housing ... couldn't figure out how to get into the housing without breaking something.) The only thing I found amiss, was that water had accumulated in the bottom of the harness run that comes out of the switchgear.

Re-taped the harness, put the bike back together ... hasn't happened since.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I had the same problem with my '04: Occasionally it would blow the headlamp fuse when high beam was on. Never happened on low beam, and from the electrical diagram, the fault had to be in the high beam circuit somewhere between the switch and the bulb, and there is another wire leading to the instrument cluster (to the high beam indicator).

It is possible that you have a bad bulb. To find this out, unplug the high beam bulb at the connector and then select high beam and see if the fuse survives. If the fuse doesn't blow with the connector unplugged but the circuit on, it's an easy fix ... replace the bulb.

If the fuse blows when high beam is selected even though the bulb is unplugged, first take apart the high beam switch housing and make sure nothing is ground-faulted inside there.

If no fault is found ... there is no choice but to take the front end of the bike apart and very closely inspect the wiring harness for any spot that the insulation might have been pinched or rubbed through.

When I did mine ... I unwrapped the affected section of harness and couldn't find any visible fault in any part of the wiring that I could access. (I couldn't get to the harness that is built into the headlight housing ... couldn't figure out how to get into the housing without breaking something.) The only thing I found amiss, was that water had accumulated in the bottom of the harness run that comes out of the switchgear.

Re-taped the harness, put the bike back together ... hasn't happened since.
Hmmmmmmmmm....You know what, water sounds like a reason as well.. I know the wiring is weeks somewhere, so whenever I have it in rain without cover, the front strobes starts blinking...... now I have to figure out where is that water going... and causing that...
I think I will really have to get in there :)

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Helppppppppppppppppppp.

Here I am again guys :(,

I spent more 4 hours on the bike today (opened up gas tank, fairing, seats etc), but no success. I also did one stupid thing, and had my low beam bulb burnt out. I burnt like a dozen fuses. Some things that I noticed are,

1. If I do not have any bulb in, the fuse does not burn, and the high beam light (in the speed-o-meter) turns on when the switch is on high beam.

2. The wiring seems really intact (I was not really able to check some wiring under the gas tank and behind the engine). There is no sign of water any where.

Is there any easier way of diagnosing it? What could be the possible culprits? I only messed with the fuse box a little bit when I inserted the Scorpio alarm in the middle of ignition wires (that works perfect now). I double checked all the connections, and everything was fine with the fuse box (Picture attached)

Is there a possibility that the relay might be bad?

Really need help guys, I am about to give up :(.

Thanks and take care.

Attachments

·
Registered
34 Posts
ohm out from load side of the fuse holder to the bulb and then ohm out the power side of the fuse holder to power and see which side is shorted.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
ohm out from load side of the fuse holder to the bulb and then ohm out the power side of the fuse holder to power and see which side is shorted.
Allright.. first part of the task is done.. I got the ohm meter.. now as far as I think, there are two sides.. one power side, and one the ground side.. when you say load side, do you mean the ground side?

And, what parts should I check in b/w... head lamp and fuse?

What are most known culprits for this... only the wiring, or the relay and high beam low beam button at the grip can also be a reason?
Thanks again.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
So guys, as you can see in the picture, I took out almost all the wiring, and used an OHM meter. My diagnosis is that it might be due to the high beam bulb. Is it possible? Can it all be caused by one bulb? And can bulb be short circuited like that?
The reasons I think it is bulb is bcz the OHM meter showed no resistance in the wires, when the high beam bulb was in the holder. Then I checked the bulb, and it also showed no resistance. I tried lighting it up by connecting directly to the battery, but it would just spark big time, wont light.

I am going to get two bulbs (low beam and high beam), however; just wondering if it can be truly the reason.

Also, while I am getting new bulbs, any recommendations? Which bulbs are best for this bike (brighter, bluish etc).
Thanks again.
Take care.

Attachments

1 - 11 of 11 Posts