Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,542 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As some of you may know, I had a mild highside recently. One of the many problems this caused is a cracked cylinder head. I got lucky, and found a head on ebay for $375 versus $1,500 from Ron Ayers. My next problem is the head gasket. Is it a bad idea to reuse the head gasket? The one I have on now is the after market thin jobie from Muzzy, and it cost about $90. It has about 3 to 4 thousand miles on it.

·
Hillbillie Mod
20,155 Posts
I WOULD NOT reuse it...

bite the bullet and get a new one. You dont wanna have to mess with it agian. To much compression in there to be messin around, IMO.

·
Registered
1,177 Posts
yeah , what they said...

my friend who got me started on the street used to call me "used parts" since i would recycle anything...

that said, i always bought a new head gasket on my rebuilds...

·
Registered
5,228 Posts
Don't be a penny pincher. Buy a new gasket from either muzzys or kawasaki(cheaper).

·
Registered
3,311 Posts
I was told to always use new, but Ivan said with a copper gasket it is only crushed and can be crushed again, now whether taking it to torque spec agian will crunch it more and cut into piston/valve clearance I dont know. I do think Ivan was talking about engine side case covers in our conversation.
Damn, I never heard about the fall...PM people and let them know what happened. Glad you are okay...the bike can be rebuilt.

·
Registered
34,537 Posts
miykl said:
shoe box cardboard works just fine ya bunch of pansies!!
fuggen coonass shit will get ya hurt ya taco eatin, nawlins reject.

BD

·
Registered
1,542 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I figured as much, but just wanted to check. It's not so much the money. It's the time I have to wait for the delivery. Everything, but the head is removed already. I was planing on doing the swap tomorrow. Then I realized the gasket issue. Not to much time left for us New England riders you know.

·
Registered
95 Posts
I personally seen a gasket reused and it work fine.

i paid 16 dollars for a thin head gasket from the dealer
11004-0023

1 - 14 of 14 Posts