Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was at track when my head gasket failed. I am looking into going 2 mm oversize with my pistons. The questions I have are will I need to get my cylinders replated or can they be bored out and go? Also has anyone else done this and have a cost estimate in mind and what kind of hp did it make.

I made 200 to the wheel with a 30 shot or juice but looking to do that on just motor. Thanks in advance. -Joe

·
Registered
860 Posts
Yes you will have to get your cylinders replated. Millenium Technologies http://www.mt-llc.com/ seems to be the most popular and fairly priced. I believe it's about $600 to do it. Piston kit will be about $550. Do you plan on doing it yourself? How do you know it's the gasket? Have you checked your oil, water, and compression on each cylinder? Just decking (about $50 a machine shop) the head if it's warped will be a lot easier and cheaper than a full on build.

·
can we ride yet!?!?!?
3,522 Posts
I was at track when my head gasket failed. I am looking into going 2 mm oversize with my pistons. The questions I have are will I need to get my cylinders replated or can they be bored out and go? Also has anyone else done this and have a cost estimate in mind and what kind of hp did it make.

I made 200 to the wheel with a 30 shot or juice but looking to do that on just motor. Thanks in advance. -Joe
hit up garth285 or axo250. they can give you insight to an overbore

·
Speed Freak
12,730 Posts
yeah you have to replate. and yeah its about 550-600 for pistons and about the same to get replated, bearings and timing chain and all run right around 250 I think and if your head needs a valve job might as well do it then... you can get it decked to for a lil more compression, I decked my head .001" and ran the standard thickness 2mm gasket and the JE +2mm pistons are supposed to 13.5:1 Dont forget to degree your cams while your in there!

·
Registered
2,128 Posts
+1 to what Garth said. To answer your last question- no you will not have a 200hp bike on all motor but you can get a strong bike by boring and adding a cam. Decking the head generally yields good results as long as you don't raise the compression too high. I highly suggest checking your valves while in there. I had 3 slightly bent valves when I tore into mine.

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well, even if i go with the 3 mil pistons and get a little head porting done, is it possible to hit 200 to the wheel? It's going to be done over the winter so I'm just looking around and gathering info before I start.

·
Registered
2,659 Posts
No i don't think so. I am doing this right now using Garth's heavily modified head. Very optimistic it will be around 185-190, but i am using 2mil. Generally each mil is ~5hp. These motors do not go 200hp. Good luck on the project !!!

·
Registered
2,128 Posts
I have a 3mil with headwork, cams, valve work, full exhaust, and all the electronics. I hit 180 on 93 octane. Decking the head would definitely give me some more but I can't complain with what I have. Some dynos may read a bit higher but that give you a good idea. The dyno read my bike with a slipon and pc at 158 to give you a comparison. I highly suggest investing in a TRE and ignition module if you build the engine. My bike picked up considerably with this two mods in combination with all the aforementioned work.

180hp was somewhat disheartening after hearing that 200hp bikes are possible with said work. However I finally got it out of several engine builders that they were really pleased to see 185-190 on race fuel and STD corrected dynos. Therefore I'm in the correct range. My numbers were SAE (so subtract 5 from STD numbers) and on pump gas. Only way to break 200hp on a 10R is to go unnaturally aspirated or add a crank.

All in all though, I haven't run across a naturally aspirated bike that can hang with me. Haven't run Garth but built ZX vs built ZX doesn't really matter. The bike is super strong and an absolute blast to ride. BTW, the built engine LOVES colder weather (ambient temps of high 50s-mid 60s). It was in that range this past weekend and the bike stands 1-3 up to the sky without any jerking on the bars. Keep in mind I weigh 195 and have it lowered about 1.5" in the front and rear. What a blast!!!!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts