Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
I really need to get out of the house
13,309 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an 07 zx10, it has just over 40,000kms. I went for a ride on the weekend and during the ride, I stopped for a break and when I went to get back on the bike and went to start her, when she was turning over but only for a sec then stall, so after a few times of this happening, I was ready for her when she was about to stall I would hit the throttle and thought it might just be the battery get old, and just figured I would get her home and buy a new battery.

So when I get home I go to start her and nothing, kick stand is up and all lights would come on but just nothing, no turnover at all...almost like that kickstand was down. So I put the kick stand down got off the bike, and took gear off and came back to bike, sat on her, put kickstand up and went to start and she started no problem, then went to put her in first and she stalls, did this about 4 times of turning off and on and then into first to move her and she kept stalling. So pushed her in the garage and lubed all around the kickstand thinkin that it has something to do with that.

After starting her yesterday a dozen or more times and workin perfect, thinking it must have the kickstand and need some lube. Went for a ride last nite, turned her off and on a few times, gettin gas and meetin up with others, and she worked perfect. Then take off for a ride about an hour from home we stopped and sure enough she wouldnt start, so I put the kickstand up and down a few times and finally she started. Head straight for home and parked her.

So what Im wondering if anyone has had kickstand issues, or maybe something else that sounds the same as what my bike is doin.

I did change the kickstand on her about a year ago, purchased a shorter kickstand, anyone who has a 2nd gen knows what its like to park, have to find the perfect spot cause of the length of the kickstand. the shorter stand came with wires attached so I just changed the complete kickstand and put the shorter one on.

See what you guys say but maybe just put the OE stand back on her with attached wires??

Any help with be appreciate, just afraid Im goin to get some where and she wont start.

Thanks Red

·
Slow Poke
5,584 Posts
FIRST and foremost bypass your kickstand switch, and rule out that being a problem. That definitely sounds like it could be it. Cut the 2 wires going to the switch, and twist the 2 going to the bike together and test that. BUT be careful. Every time you get on your bike and put it in gear sweep your left foot by the kickstand and make sure it is up before you take off, because it will scare the hell out of you if you try to turn left when its down..

·
MIA Post Whore
8,727 Posts
FIRST and foremost bypass your kickstand switch, and rule out that being a problem. That definitely sounds like it could be it. Cut the 2 wires going to the switch, and twist the 2 going to the bike together and test that. BUT be careful. Every time you get on your bike and put it in gear sweep your left foot by the kickstand and make sure it is up before you take off, because it will scare the hell out of you if you try to turn left when its down..
:+1: But as mentioned, only bypass for testing purposes. :helmet:

I put my Ducati 999R into a guard rail b/c I bypassd the switch when removing the KS for the track. Didn't put the switch back for the street b/c I've NEVER left a KS down before. :rolleyes: Well, Duc's KS lock in place with pressure to keep from rolling off the stand. And they don't turn left very well when the KS is down. :headshake

Nothing like killing $40K worth of bike to learn a lesson. :wink:

·
Registered
1,938 Posts
I have an 07 zx10, it has just over 40,000kms. I went for a ride on the weekend and during the ride, I stopped for a break and when I went to get back on the bike and went to start her, when she was turning over but only for a sec then stall, so after a few times of this happening, I was ready for her when she was about to stall I would hit the throttle and thought it might just be the battery get old, and just figured I would get her home and buy a new battery.

So when I get home I go to start her and nothing, kick stand is up and all lights would come on but just nothing, no turnover at all...almost like that kickstand was down. So I put the kick stand down got off the bike, and took gear off and came back to bike, sat on her, put kickstand up and went to start and she started no problem, then went to put her in first and she stalls, did this about 4 times of turning off and on and then into first to move her and she kept stalling. So pushed her in the garage and lubed all around the kickstand thinkin that it has something to do with that.

After starting her yesterday a dozen or more times and workin perfect, thinking it must have the kickstand and need some lube. Went for a ride last nite, turned her off and on a few times, gettin gas and meetin up with others, and she worked perfect. Then take off for a ride about an hour from home we stopped and sure enough she wouldnt start, so I put the kickstand up and down a few times and finally she started. Head straight for home and parked her.
So what Im wondering if anyone has had kickstand issues, or maybe something else that sounds the same as what my bike is doin.

I did change the kickstand on her about a year ago, purchased a shorter kickstand, anyone who has a 2nd gen knows what its like to park, have to find the perfect spot cause of the length of the kickstand. the shorter stand came with wires attached so I just changed the complete kickstand and put the shorter one on.

See what you guys say but maybe just put the OE stand back on her with attached wires??

Any help with be appreciate, just afraid Im goin to get some where and she wont start.

Thanks Red

Im bored at work

·
REPOST Enforcement Mod
13,543 Posts
Could be the kickstand switch, clutch safety switch, or the starter solenoid, starter switch, or something else. The weird thing about your problem is that the starter is engaging, but not turning over, so it's not likely to be one of the safety switches. Those would cause the problem once the motor is running and then put into gear, which would cause the motor to stop. The fact that the starter engages, but doesn't have enough power to start the bike leads me to believe that it's actually a start circuit issue or battery problem.

My Gen 2 had a similar problem with the solenoid itself. It's basically a relay that is engaged by a low voltage circuit to complete a high voltage circuit (in this case, high amperage). Because of the high current draw, the contacts in the solenoid can get old and burned and create too high of a resistance to complete the circuit and engage the starter motor. All that technical babble aside, mine did the same thing as yours is doing and that was the issue.

·
13,309 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well the latest, went out to the garage last nite with new battery in hand. Just thought I would start her and see whats she would do, well she was dead, all I got was a click click, the battery was dead.

Took seat off and replaced battery, and checked all the wires to see if make sure everything was tight. So go to start her and she dragged alittle, so my thinkin was rather then maybe screwin up the new battery I would change the kickstand back to the stock one. So after gettin the fairing off and followin the line from kickstand up and unhooking the stand and takin shorter stand off, I go to hook the OE stand up, clip in the connection and screw bolts in for stand, then go to start the bike...well she starts no prob but the kick stand isnt showin up, I could start her in gear with stand down, it was like it was connected but not doin what it supposed to ....so at this point Im totally lost. So after wonderin what to do, I unplug OE stand and just plug shorter ebay stand in without screwin to the bike...and go figure she works perfect, shuts off and turns on works perfect!...So the only think I can figure the guy who last summer put the shorter kick stand on must have only change the arm of the stand for me and the stand off ebay wasnt really for a ZX10, maybe a 600, not really sure, cause when I purchased it, I any purchased it for the shorter arm, not the wiring. So I put the shorter stand back on her and plugged it in and she is workin perfect now...Im a happy girl, greasy hands and all. lol:lol:

So as she sits right now, she is workin perfect with the new battery and same shorter stand. I have been out a dozen times to check, startin and stoppin like a new bike.

I just not sure why she hesitated to start after I put the new battery in, instead of workin like she is now, does it take some time for the battery to work thru system or something?

I will take her for a ride tonight...keep fingers crossed.

Thanks again for the help

·
Slow Poke
5,584 Posts
Well the latest, went out to the garage last nite with new battery in hand. Just thought I would start her and see whats she would do, well she was dead, all I got was a click click, the battery was dead.

Took seat off and replaced battery, and checked all the wires to see if make sure everything was tight. So go to start her and she dragged alittle, so my thinkin was rather then maybe screwin up the new battery I would change the kickstand back to the stock one. So after gettin the fairing off and followin the line from kickstand up and unhooking the stand and takin shorter stand off, I go to hook the OE stand up, clip in the connection and screw bolts in for stand, then go to start the bike...well she starts no prob but the kick stand isnt showin up, I could start her in gear with stand down, it was like it was connected but not doin what it supposed to ....so at this point Im totally lost. So after wonderin what to do, I unplug OE stand and just plug shorter ebay stand in without screwin to the bike...and go figure she works perfect, shuts off and turns on works perfect!...So the only think I can figure the guy who last summer put the shorter kick stand on must have only change the arm of the stand for me and the stand off ebay wasnt really for a ZX10, maybe a 600, not really sure, cause when I purchased it, I any purchased it for the shorter arm, not the wiring. So I put the shorter stand back on her and plugged it in and she is workin perfect now...Im a happy girl, greasy hands and all. lol:lol:

So as she sits right now, she is workin perfect with the new battery and same shorter stand. I have been out a dozen times to check, startin and stoppin like a new bike.

I just not sure why she hesitated to start after I put the new battery in, instead of workin like she is now, does it take some time for the battery to work thru system or something?

Girl+Greasy hands = :sex: :lol: Glad you got it figured out red!

·
MIA Post Whore
8,727 Posts

A dragging starter is not a symptom of a bad safety switch. I'd keep looking for lose grounds and connections. Follow the positive path from the battery, to the relay, to the starter, then follow the graound path. If not a connection, my money is now on the starter relay. The ZX10R and the ZX14 share the same relay and I had simular symptoms on two of my ZX14's.

Good luck. Hopefully are fixed though.

·
13,309 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Well I am extremely happy to say, I put a new battery in her and put over 1000kms on her last weekend, she worked better then she has in a long time.

I did take your advice miykl, the only thing that came off the positive side of the battery was for the gear indicator, and Im not sure if you remember but 2 winters ago, a critter (squirrel or mouse) decide to make a home under my seat and chewed that wire. So I did have to reconnect that wire from the gear indicator. Well when I was changing the battery, puttin the new one in, I noticed the wire was no connect the greatest so I went and got a new wire connector and then strink wrapped it...so the connection was really good before puttin back on the battery. And when you think about it, that would make since when it comes to the kickstand. ... so I owe you a big thanks!!...I think you solves my problem. thanks again:thumbsup:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts