Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
844 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well a new thing....

The speedometer doesn't worked anymore.

Sooooo I checked connection between the speed sensor and the connection near the motor (near the valve cover on the left side of the motor).

Wires not cut connections good...

Sooo i checked the voltage who suppose to be betweenpositive and negative connection like the service code 24 at the 3.66 on the repair manual. The voltage who suppose to be there are 9 to 12 volts and I got 4.66 volts....What the hell.

So i change the speed sensor with one I know it work and same result.

The service code just don't appear on the Fi light (when you do the self diagnostic ..... nothing) Fi light just don't appear at all, nothing, nada, niet.

So now the next test are the one who implied the connetion who hook to the cpu (I'm going to do it) and where one of the pin give a certain voltage who's going to tell me if the cluste are bugged or cpu broken (I doubt because no cracks or anything appear pins are straight but who know).

But my main question are why there's no code appear on Fi light at all and no code appear when I do the self diagnostic ?

And for sure if anybody encounter this kind of problem and how they resolved it.

Sure it's happen to somebody else with a gen 1.

Oh yes I got a PC III on the bike and for sure no pins are screwed on it too and no difference happen when I plugged the cpu directly witout passing through the PCIII the speedometer doesn't show naything but 0 km/h (yes here it's in km/hr).
And yes no wires seem to be cut anywhere (that way I surely have a code....on the Fi)

So if there an electronic guru just communicate with me.

:|

·
REPOST Enforcement Mod
'16 ZX-10R KRT
15,708 Posts
Welp, the reason you're not getting an error code is there is no error. Either the speedometer itself has gone bad, or the area that the speed sensor is reading is bad. First thing you need to do is try to send a valid signal to the instrument cluster and see if you can get any speed to read on the display. Next would be to look at the area the sensor is trying to read. On the Gen 1 the speed sensor is looking at the countershaft sprocket to get it's pulse signal. Is the sprocket area really dirty? Is the sensor mounted too far away from the sprocket? These are the types of things you need to be looking at next in your troubleshooting.

·
Registered
844 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks skydork I will do a bit of cleaning

I put out the sprocket cover and it was not seem dirty, but who know.

I will do the test with the speed sensor with the resistor (as explain inthe sevice manual) to see if it give any reading.

When I put out the speed sensor it wasn't seem to be dirty.

But I will clean everything thouroughfly, and try again.

Everything was running last year and now niet.

So if no error code there's good chance that the speed sensor just don't read anything.

Thanks skydork I will inform everybody of the evolution of the problem.

·
Registered
2,161 Posts
Mine did the same thing, ended up being a bad gauge cluster. I pulled that sucker out and threw it in the trash, was perfect time to upgrade to a 2nd or 3rd gen cluster, i went with a 3rd gen cluster with OEM gear indicator, love it.

·
Registered
844 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
How you fund it was the cluster ?

How you fund it was the cluster ?

Did it need a lot of mods to put a gen 2 or gen 3 cluster on a gen 1 bike ?

·
Registered
844 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
anybody check the cluster (speedometer) with the instruction gave on the chapter 16.70 and 16.71 of the service manual ?

last thing i need to check to maybe resolve my speedo who indicate 0 mph all the time.

Did I need to put out the upper fairng to have access to the cluster plug ?

·
Registered
844 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I do the check with the item 16.71 on the repair manual to check at least this item (spped sensor power supply). The other function seem to work fine.

So the voltage seem to be somewhere in the 10 volts area so it's fine:

Do as follow item 16.71 on repair manual:

electrical system 16-71

Electric Speed Sensor Electric Source Check

Connect 12 V battery and terminanls in the same manner as specified in the ``Liquid Crystal Display (LCD) Segment Check``
Set the hand tester to 25 V range and connect it to the terminanls (12) and (9).
If the voltage is less than 8 V, replace the meter assembly.

SOOOOO

The reading is something like 10 volts so the meter are good to this test.

Soooo

I put out the fairing on the left side of the bike ans I will check the contunuity of the wire from the connection of the meter gauge through the next connection following the wires colour through the speed sensor and see if their any wire split or what.

But it's a good thing to know that the clauster gauge unit are in good shape.

But don't found the problem yet speedometer still indicate 0.........

·
Registered
844 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well it was the pink wire coming from the speed sensorand do a loop from the speed sensor to going to the meter. This wire just don't pass through the CPU but instead unlike the othe wire do a loop and the wire cut was at the most uueasy place near the throttle body and near the frame and guess what the cut was at this place hard to find and hard to repair without dismantle all the tank, air filter and the panels...... apain in the asss.

But now after soldering the wire and isolate got to redo all tape with new electrical tape......

But it's work perfectly NOW.....

1 - 10 of 10 Posts