Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone used a Shinko Tire? I was reading about them and was surprised to find that it is a Japanese Company, rather than Chinese.....which instills a bit more confidence for me in the product.

If you have used them which Model and size and what did you think of them.

Thanks in advance

·
Certified SLOW
3,131 Posts
For drag racing, the Shinko Hook-Up is great. I wouldn't use it on the street though, since it is a very soft rubber with a pretty flat profile.

·
Registered
534 Posts
I know a few stunters who use it.

·
Registered
1,971 Posts
used the 2s i think in stock size and they suck! I would get high speed woble which is insane for our sportbikes.

·
Gone Ridin'
1,705 Posts
used the 2s i think in stock size and they suck! I would get high speed woble which is insane for our sportbikes.
This.

Apparently they are so soft that they deform easy under any wear/heat cycles. I was going to go there for track use and got waved off by some folks I trusted (with that being the complaint).

·
Registered
1,764 Posts
Guys, shinko doesn't only make a soft tire, the 003 and the hookup are what MOST people get because it is know as a GREAT affordable tire for drag racing.

They also make an 005 and 009, the higher the number the harder the compound...

·
Registered
113 Posts
I have the 005 advance on my z1000 and I am very glad it is almost dead. The profile is like an orange county chopper style rear. I am tempted to take my kickstand off for lack of need. Once you get them to temp, they are ok. The main thing is that sudden movements are not tolerated. I don't have a slipper clutch and the back wheel locks up like it is going out of style. Also sudden acceleration is scary when leaned over.
If I can outride this tire on my Z, then you will prolly hate this tire.

·
Registered
667 Posts
Ive used the Advance Raven & Apex

Impressed by all as far as on the street. Much longer wearing than other tires I have used and damn cheap if you wait for deals

I have not used them on the track

·
Registered
534 Posts
This is a direct quote from my buddy who stunts:
"If your on the market for a new set of tires check out the Shinko Apex and Shinko Verge. These tires awesome! Everyone I know who's has tried these only runs them now!"

Like I said, he stunts which means he runs low pressure and looks for hook-up.

·
Registered
228 Posts
Avoid the raven tires, they suck in wet conditions and take for ever to warm up, didn't hold traction well either

Sent from my iPhone using Motorcycle.com app

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
I would never put a shinko tire on my bike....If I die I dont want it to be because I went cheap on a set of tires......

Just my opinion....

·
Registered
414 Posts
When I bought my 10r it came with a shinko 009 on it in the rear. Absolutely the worst tire I've ever ridden on. I'm getting ready to swap it out for a set of Q2's. Anyways, I was up at Palomar Mountain last weekend on this tire. I was far from riding aggressively but this tire would not grip for shit. It acted as if it was cold the entire ride, so I gave it some extra time to heat up and it was still scary as hell in the corners. Half way through the ride I decided to stop fighting the tire and just cruise relatively slow and far behind the group I was with.

On my last bike I had heard positives and negatives about shinko tires. I was always kind of curious but never wanted to spend money on something that might be so bad I had to take it off and swap it for a good tire. So when I bought my 10 I thought it was a good opportunity to try one out since it already had one on there that was new. I guess I'm glad I followed my original instinct with my other bike.

·
Registered
121 Posts
I'm about to put the new Shinko 010 on my 10 in the next few weeks. These are the latest and the greatest and are supposedly good for occasional track days.

·
Bloo Moderator
23,742 Posts
Guys, shinko doesn't only make a soft tire, the 003 and the hookup are what MOST people get because it is know as a GREAT affordable tire for drag racing.

They also make an 005 and 009, the higher the number the harder the compound...
Good Info. there on the #s....I wouldn't run one on the street but for drag racing that's what many use it's light and hooks....if any of you hate yours so much I will be willing to take it off your hands if it's a 03 for cheap because after all they don't cost much new either. :wink:

PS...my rear wheel size is 190/50/17 :mrgreen:

bloo

·
Gen2 Ripper
4,867 Posts
I've been using nothing but Shinko 003 Stealth U-soft front and rear for over 2 yrs now on the 10R. Love the tire. best tire for the $.. Super sticky and good wear. I don't mean the tires lasted 2 yrs, but that I have been running F and R of the Stealth 003 U-soft.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts