Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I searched and found nothing here or on google so it is now time to ask. Has anyone tried a 200/55 on the gen5? I know it fits the rim and there is space between the tire and the chain guard to clear it and now I am wondering if a 200 has had any negative impacts for anyone. I read the older swingarm caused issues for the WSBK teams but it was addressed in the latest generation so I am pretty sure it would not have any but it is always best to ask first.

·
Registered
182 Posts
I run the 200/60 pirelli slicks on my gen4. Pretty sure any 200 series tire is standard for 1000cc bikes, atleast for racing applications.
What he said, I only run sc1-sc2 200-60 Rear slicks on my bike, I also have used Dunlop 200-55 Race slicks without any issues.. If you are talking street only?, Save some money and stick with the stock 190-55 size,I don't think you would tell any difference between the 2 sizes on the street.

·
Registered
1,628 Posts
I have run nothing but 200/55 Bridgestone slicks on my GEN4 and GEN5 the last 2 years. Never heard about any WSB issues. Heck, I've run 200/55 Dunlop slicks on my 600s without any issues.

·
The Pace
7,048 Posts
Your question begs the question of what EVERTY dialed in rider would ask. Look at the following observation: (that's a colon right before the parenthesis on the left of this clause) just running 50's and 55's of corsas and rs 10's and all others EXCEPT the met rr 55's on rear: total tire NOT used BECAUSE rear spin stands the rear tire up. (edit: front tire will remain in lean.)

Racing track tires not comparable to street as street are designed for more grip in crappy conditions. Track conditions are far better YET hot pros never use the entire tire as track turns a mega fast overall (compared to rural CA road conditions where turns are technical/tight). So much going on and zero Rossi/Stoner etc. type are here. So much going on within the dialed in range of riding day after day.

·
Registered
2,164 Posts
I searched and found nothing here or on google so it is now time to ask. Has anyone tried a 200/55 on the gen5? I know it fits the rim and there is space between the tire and the chain guard to clear it and now I am wondering if a 200 has had any negative impacts for anyone. I read the older swingarm caused issues for the WSBK teams but it was addressed in the latest generation so I am pretty sure it would not have any but it is always best to ask first.
WSBK run different swing arms so that's not a concern for us.

Your question begs the question of what EVERTY dialed in rider would ask. Look at the following observation: (that's a colon right before the parenthesis on the left of this clause) just running 50's and 55's of corsas and rs 10's and all others EXCEPT the met rr 55's on rear: total tire NOT used BECAUSE rear spin stands the rear tire up. (edit: front tire will remain in lean.)

Racing track tires not comparable to street as street are designed for more grip in crappy conditions. Track conditions are far better YET hot pros never use the entire tire as track turns a mega fast overall (compared to rural CA road conditions where turns are technical/tight). So much going on and zero Rossi/Stoner etc. type are here. So much going on within the dialed in range of riding day after day.
Lol

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Thanks for the good information everyone!

I have run nothing but 200/55 Bridgestone slicks on my GEN4 and GEN5 the last 2 years. Never heard about any WSB issues. Heck, I've run 200/55 Dunlop slicks on my 600s without any issues.
Turns out they were talking about the transition to 4th gen from 3rd gen so not actually relevant to this bike. It is this post within this very forum:
http://www.zx-10r.net/forum/f128/gen4-rear-200-55-17-a-119287.html
Hi all,

All the feedback that we get in our National Superbike series from the guys riding in the WSBK series is that the Kawa is the most affected by the 200 tyre, and it handles much better on the 190. That was part of the reason they were battling to sort out the handling on the Kawa's in the WSBK, and only now that they reverted to an inverted swingarm, can they get the 200 size to work properly. We are restricted to the Supercorsa Pro in our National series and therefore to the 190 size, but it works extremely well and for trackdays there is no reason to go to the 200 size. The gen 4 handles and turn-in much better with the 190.

I believe that Pirelli is about to or have just released a 200 size Supercorsa Pro, but apparently the Kawa riders will stick to the 190 size. The 200 size work well on the other makes.

·
Registered
768 Posts

You have no idea what you're talking about, just stop. :lol:

·
Registered
768 Posts
Let me know your skill set response why a certain tire size works for you.
Let's start with you being able to type at a literacy rate of a potato. I read your post 3 times and I'm still not quite sure what you are trying to say.

Street tires are made differently because of the different pace and environment bikes are ridden in. Not because streets are "crappy". In fact, I can think of some roads that are much nicer than tracks I've ridden at.

I do use all of the rear tire, both on my R6 and ZX10, as do my friends. We are far from Rossi speed, but aren't too shabby in club racing.

I'd be most interested in your "skill set response". :lol:

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I read your post 3 times and I'm still not quite sure what you are trying to say.
Glad I wasn't the only one. I think you did a better job than I did though because I had no idea what he was trying to say.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Since I haven't ridden my bike (more than a spin down the street and back) I can't tell you of any issues, but I will be running 200s as I have always preferred those on my bikes. I've been running them (Dunlop NTec) on my 675, it gets close to the chain but has not had or caused any issues. On my liter bikes I've had a preference for the 200s. so doubt I will change.

Reactions: Fantastic

·
Registered
768 Posts
Since I haven't ridden my bike (more than a spin down the street and back) I can't tell you of any issues, but I will be running 200s as I have always preferred those on my bikes. I've been running them (Dunlop NTec) on my 675, it gets close to the chain but has not had or caused any issues. On my liter bikes I've had a preference for the 200s. so doubt I will change.
You indirectly brought up another point for me, that's tire brand. A 200 Dunlop isn't a 200 Pirelli. They all physically measure differently (as do the fronts and the front profile). So anyone that paints a tire's ability by size alone already loses some credibility in my mind.

On the other hand, Kawasaki's have always typically react very nicely to Pirelli's/Michelin's. If you are not on those, you are already a step behind. If you don't believe me, look at Moto America.

Of course I am only talking about racing. Fvuck, for street use, if it's got tread and holds air, it'll be fine.

·
Registered
171 Posts
You indirectly brought up another point for me, that's tire brand. A 200 Dunlop isn't a 200 Pirelli. They all physically measure differently (as do the fronts and the front profile). So anyone that paints a tire's ability by size alone already loses some credibility in my mind.

On the other hand, Kawasaki's have always typically react very nicely to Pirelli's/Michelin's. If you are not on those, you are already a step behind. If you don't believe me, look at Moto America.

Of course I am only talking about racing. Fvuck, for street use, if it's got tread and holds air, it'll be fine.
yes, they're definitely different! No way I'd fit a 200 Pirelli on my 675. I've ran their 200/60s on my street bike before and definitely preferred it over the 190/55.

·
Registered
576 Posts
Yea as Otto just mentioned, don't take the tire size as actual measurements. If you look at the Dunlop data sheet for example, you can find "smaller" tire sizes that actually measure "larger" than their "larger" sized counterparts.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts