Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone removed this? It appears to be a silencer, is it simply tack welded in or is it going to be a PITA to remove. I don't want to jack this up as this is the only can I have for now.

11-10-07_1636.jpg

·
Registered
1,508 Posts
My thoughts were the same when I first got mine. Yes it will be a pia to remove

·
Registered
1,399 Posts
uh.....yeah. I was going to link him to that too.

You can't get it out without cutting the aluminum outer can at either the front or the back.....that rolled lip holds it in.

What exactly are you trying to do?

·
Registered
2,808 Posts
You can get in there and drill/dremel/cut that pea shooter off, and then cut most of that metal plate out, but leave the mounting tabs intact to put the cap back on and make it look clean. You have to beat/wiggle/pry/cuss the long 'pea shooter' tube out after you do that, or it will rattle around.

This will make the bike very loud, and result in a very, very small power gain.

You can just cut that tube flush and put the end cap on, it will do nothing functionally to the exhaust. You may get a little carbon build up on the edges of the cap when you put it back on, if you do dont seal it somehow.

I've done this to a SV1000's cans before.... I could show you pictures if you really wanted to see it. Hardly worth the effort unless you're looking for a cheap sound/look upgrade.

Cheers :)

PS yes, it is all a pain in the ass, too

·
Registered
373 Posts
On my full yoshi it has 2 botls that hold it in. Anyone know anything about removing that. I just didnt want to messanything up.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I would if I could, but with the first kid off to college, moneys tight...

If I just cut it off at the end, for looks at least, will it make it sound like a fart can? Definately don't want that.

·
Retired post whore
8,463 Posts
I would if I could, but with the first kid off to college, moneys tight...

If I just cut it off at the end, for looks at least, will it make it sound like a fart can? Definately don't want that.
If you are gonna do some cuttin, why not just follow the how to thread? You shorten the can, get better sound, it will look like a professional job and you will still have tuition money. Pm casey for technical questions - thats his thread.

·
Registered
1,399 Posts
Just remember.....it's titanium.
There is no 'just cut it off'...... and there's DEFINITELY no 'just dremel it off'.
It takes some doing.....

If you want a little deeper sound, follow the how-to. I don't know about power gains, but when I put my original length stock pipe back on (for inspection) I had to bounce harder to bring up second gear..... not that THAT really means anything.

·
Registered
38 Posts
On my full yoshi it has 2 botls that hold it in. Anyone know anything about removing that. I just didnt want to messanything up.
After I went down on my 12 I ordered a replacment can for my full system. Came with that cap held on by two bolts and tac welded. I was frustrated because that's not how it came originally.
Anyways, I just carefully drilled out the bolts ( I tried to unscrew but stripped them)and then the tac welds broke fairly easy after that.
Looks great now!

·
Registered
1,399 Posts
After I went down on my 12 I ordered a replacment can for my full system. Came with that cap held on by two bolts and tac welded. I was frustrated because that's not how it came originally.
Anyways, I just carefully drilled out the bolts ( I tried to unscrew but stripped them)and then the tac welds broke fairly easy after that.
Looks great now!
Not trying to argue with you but that isn't how the first generation 10R's muffler is assembled. It's not just a couple of bolts and tack welds. I've had them apart, trust me.

http://www.zx-10r.net/forum/showthread.php?t=43092

The whole reason I took all these pictures is so people would know what these things looked like inside.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Before I bought my ZX10R I owned a ZZ600 and I tried to cut he tack welds and you would be better off buying a new slip on. Its just less of a PITA,trust me.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Not trying to argue with you but that isn't how the first generation 10R's muffler is assembled. It's not just a couple of bolts and tack welds. I've had them apart, trust me.

http://www.zx-10r.net/forum/showthread.php?t=43092

The whole reason I took all these pictures is so people would know what these things looked like inside.

Right on. I wasn't replying to the original post. I was however to this one...
Originally Posted by fatcalvin
That's why I quoted him specifically in my post.

:mrgreen:

1 - 18 of 18 Posts