Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
2,619 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

Is there some trick to removing the battery? Do you need to lift the gas tank up a bit to squeeze it out of its tray? This seems to be a major PIA to get the battery out of the bike.

It leads me to believe I am doing something wrong. As my 6R battery was a snap to get out.

I removed the rear & part of the side panel to get at it. Right by the red wire is my speedohealer cable, there is a lighter colored (tan) metal plate, I tried loosening that bolt figuring the battery would start to lift up, but it looks like I need to really start pulling things apart.

I am hoping for one of you to point out what I am doing wrong so I can get the battery out for winter storage. Otherwise, I will just pop the battery tender into the bike (I would rather remove the battery all together though). If this is a big production, I will just leave it as is.

Thanks,
Rich

Attachments

·
2,619 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Lets see if a catchy title helps. My bikes still in pieces the battery looks like a PIA to get to. It cant go down, ya cant lean it upwards due to the tank area, but I cant help but think I am missing something obvious here.

·
Registered
392 Posts
As I know, you do everything correctly. At least I removed my battery the same way.
It seems that KAWASAKI wanted us to spend more time with 10R.
You may wish to check service manual but I doubt you'll find anything new for yourself there.
So stop whinning and go get this battery out of 10R hard way! :wink:

·
Registered
55 Posts
I replaced my battery with a smaller battery since I use my bike primarly for the track, (saved 3 pounds) but if I remember right there is a brace that runs across the frame that the tank sits on and goes above the battery. You remove a bolt on each side and lift on the back of the tank/brace and you can get the battery out. Probably easier to just remove the tank first.

The other little mod I did at that time was to use thumb bolts that you can remove with your fingers on the back access panel and on the seat so that I didn't need tools to get to the battery. Got those bolts from McMaster Carr.

http://www.zianet.com/bamford/zx10tail.jpg

http://www.zianet.com/bamford/zx10seat.jpg

·
2,619 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Big Daddy said:
Disassemble the bike to bare frame and then and only then will the battery come out. I think.:badteeth:

BD
In all seriousness, thats how I feel it was setup, you cant get under it, cant pull it straight up, cant twist it sideways.

·
2,619 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I think this would be the best way to go, lift the back end of the tank. I think i am going to be lazy & just leave the battery in the bike. With the battery Tender plugged in of course.

nmsu said:
I replaced my battery with a smaller battery since I use my bike primarly for the track, (saved 3 pounds) but if I remember right there is a brace that runs across the frame that the tank sits on and goes above the battery. You remove a bolt on each side and lift on the back of the tank/brace and you can get the battery out. Probably easier to just remove the tank first.

The other little mod I did at that time was to use thumb bolts that you can remove with your fingers on the back access panel and on the seat so that I didn't need tools to get to the battery. Got those bolts from McMaster Carr.

http://www.zianet.com/bamford/zx10tail.jpg

http://www.zianet.com/bamford/zx10seat.jpg

·
Administrator
6,689 Posts
I know I'm late to the party, but I used this tool from the tool kit under the seat like a shoe horn and it worked like a charm. I was going crazy before I tried this. Just thought it might help someone.

Attachments

·
Bloo Moderator
23,742 Posts
Moved to the Performance and Tech section....I am late as well like YSR LOL

Removing the battery not bad....remove tank and the cross bar only 2 bolts that hold the rear of the tank...shake and bake the battery comes out. :wink:

bloo

·
Registered
267 Posts
Just use a large flat bladed screwdriver under the battery and over that little plastic brace thing. Similar to ysr50. Then just pull battery backwards and it will slip over the brace. "shoe horn" is a great way to describe how it works. Its easy

1 - 11 of 11 Posts