Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
699 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just spoke with Kawasaki, and found out there is a recall on the Cam Chain Tensioner. (sorry if this has been visited before). Not sure if all models. Mine is a 2016 Non-CA model.

Has anyone had this work done? God I hate to take it to the dealer :-(

·
OMG Look at that squid!!
2,595 Posts
I was not aware of a recall... Ive also got a 16' non CA. You got a notice from Kawi Corp?

·
REPOST Enforcement Mod
14,969 Posts
No recall that I'm aware of. The only recall on the Gen 5 that I've seen is for the steering damper mounting bolt being too tight.

There may be a Technical Service Bulletin (TSB) on the tensioner, but that isn't something people are made aware of until it's brought to the dealer to check. And it only applies when the vehicle is under warranty. Recalls are something different.

·
Registered
581 Posts
How did Kawasaki say it to start with? Did they send you a letter informing you of the recall?

·
Registered
699 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
How did Kawasaki say it to start with? Did they send you a letter informing you of the recall?
I called Kawasaki to see if mine was listed as a CA model. They looked up my VIN and told me. No letter...

Kawasaki customer hotline
866-802-9381

·
Registered
581 Posts
I called Kawasaki to see if mine was listed as a CA model. They looked up my VIN and told me. No letter...

Kawasaki customer hotline
866-802-9381
Now that is weird, by law they are required to inform in writing on any recalls.

Just the other day there was another thread of someone claiming that they had a transmission recall as well, never heard or saw anything on the trans recall.

Do you have a CA model?

I guess take it in and see what they fill out on the paperwork, maybe they will reference a TSB or a very small group was hit with the recall? That would not answer the fact it does not come up on that website posted earlier in the thread.

·
Registered
699 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Mine is a non-ca model. I don't think that has anything to do with it. Called my dealer and they confirmed it and ordered parts.

I saw that Taiwan translation. Wonder if this is actually the same thing and it got screwed in the translation?

·
OMG Look at that squid!!
2,595 Posts
Well hell... A corporation that doesn't have their shit together? Say it isn't so.

·
The Pace
7,048 Posts
Kawa dealers well aware of cam chain; just take it in and don't bother them; admin will call you when it's ready.

·
Registered
56 Posts
I also have the 2016 zx10r. I had mine serviced and replaced under warranty in October 2017. The Cam Chain Tensioner is NOT a recall, it is service bulletin. Meaning, if you think there is a problem with your cam chain tensioner where it is chattery and clanking and you bring it to a Kawi dealer and complain, they have to listen to it to verify if they hear a metallic noise as well. If verified they will do the tensioner as a warranty job. I work for a car dealership and we have this all the time.. if enough complaints the vehicle make company (ie. GM) will then make a service bulletin, but not enough to issue a recall. I was told they have a newer version tensioner that goes into our bikes when replaced. I have the old one the dealer gave me as a souvenir and saw the updated tensioner, minor differences.

·
Registered
718 Posts
Yeah, mine has the deal for the chain tensioner too. Dealer says it's there. No word on the gearbox yet. Both dealers I work with have no record of it yet

·
Registered
1,628 Posts
That's weird. I thought ALL 2016s were CA models.
EDIT: Just checked and so far my '16 ZX10R doesn't have a recall on it but I also checked my '17 1290 Super Duke and it does have a recall for it. I assume for the Brembo master cylinder.

·
Registered
1,628 Posts
Actually to answer my own question, and sorry for the side track but I thought when you guys were mentioning CA modules you meant California model (and I think you probably did). However, in the manual CA model is Canada, CAL is Califorina, US is everywhere in United States except California and there are also other models, AU, DE, EUR, MY, etc.

However, I did know that there really was no difference in the GEN 5s sold in California vs the rest of the states because unlike on the GEN 4, the GEN 5 had all of the emissions stuff on at least all of the North American sold bikes, at least it makes no mention of any differences that I can find in the GEN 5 service manual, unlike in the GEN 4 service manual which lists many differences in the fuel/emissions system. Looking through the service manual I *believe* there is only 1 difference between a "CAL" model and a "US" model, and that is the ECU. However, I live in Illinois and I have a "CAL" ECU part number in my bike (1128).

Here's the list of models from the GEN 5 service manual:

Here is the ECU code list from the GEN5 service manual:

And to make things even MORE confusing the part number label for the 1128 ECU appears to list the 1128 ECU as the "CA" ECU when 1128 in the service manual is listed as the "CAL" ECU, "CA" is 1129. Holy moly!

https://www.partzilla.com/product/kawasaki/21175-1128?ref=207874a6deeb3259321577f295a72fb1db1f01bd

1 - 20 of 37 Posts