Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
4,682 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The new intake cams are out. Pricy but out. around $800. but its made by kawi. been hearing good things so far.

·
Registered
5,228 Posts
What have you heard?

·
Registered
4,682 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well its a "ive done everything else mod. so the HP numbers are sketchy. once you have reached the 164hp level it will add about 4 or 5 hp. so from stock it would be some crazy number like 8 or 9 maybe 10. but kawi spent 2 years developing this thing and it was just released to there ama team and the general public. when combined with race gas the numbers are sapposed to be REAL nice. I think this might be my winter mod. with the thinner head gasket and the 1/5th upgrade. {thinner head gasket because well im allready in there} But this is a mod for AFTER TRE PC3 and all the other stuff. It allows ALOT more air into the eingine. so yes you will be custom mapping.
I was just wouldering if anyone has done it yet.

·
Registered
956 Posts
could be interesting indeed. this bike needs so much more power i got passed by a scooter!! damn :crackup:

actually i am considering the gasket, cams could be done at the same time.

is it usuable power or just overkill? i only ride this thing on the streets and its already stupid fast. anyone try the pistons kawi has on their site yet? :thumbsup: its just never ending once i get it to the point when i think its done something else comes along and goes hey try me!! :badteeth:

·
Registered
4,682 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
the pistons is what got me on this hunt. I heard $$ for $$$ the intake cam made more hp

·
Registered
4,682 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
and more HP??? are you kidding? thats like TOO fine of a chick. I want as much as possible.

·
Registered
956 Posts
sczx10r said:
and more HP??? are you kidding? thats like TOO fine of a chick. I want as much as possible.
yeah i hear ya it is quite addictive!!:idea: titainium rods?? make these bitches rev like that lil yami!!

·
Supercharged Mod
4,392 Posts
An increase of 4 or 5 horsepower when you already have 164 is not an indication of "a lot" more air into the engine. In fact, it is an indication of about 3 percent! :D Another thing to remember is that provided you have a starting point that is not utter crap, camshafts work by improving airflow in some RPM ranges and sacrificing it in others. An improvement at high RPM (for bigger HP numbers) generally goes along with a loss of low-end and mid-range, and for my street-ridden bike, that is why I am not going to be changing camshafts.

Now, I have a question. There has been an intake camshaft available from the race-kit parts for quite some time. Is this the same thing, or is it something different?

·
Registered
4,682 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
it's a intake cam alone. after you get into the 165 area hp doesnt do giant leaps and bounds anymore.

·
Registered
158 Posts
GoFaster said:
An increase of 4 or 5 horsepower when you already have 164 is not an indication of "a lot" more air into the engine. In fact, it is an indication of about 3 percent! :D Another thing to remember is that provided you have a starting point that is not utter crap, camshafts work by improving airflow in some RPM ranges and sacrificing it in others. An improvement at high RPM (for bigger HP numbers) generally goes along with a loss of low-end and mid-range, and for my street-ridden bike, that is why I am not going to be changing camshafts.

Now, I have a question. There has been an intake camshaft available from the race-kit parts for quite some time. Is this the same thing, or is it something different?
Correct! Too many are concerned with peak horsepower, when you should be concerned with your hp curve. A cam might be great for sombody who spends thier time in the upper part of the tach (racers) but not great for sombody who cruises around half the time.

·
Registered
52 Posts
snoopnoon said:
Correct! Too many are concerned with peak horsepower, when you should be concerned with your hp curve. A cam might be great for sombody who spends thier time in the upper part of the tach (racers) but not great for sombody who cruises around half the time.
+1 :eek:ccasion1

This is a great point. All cam work will have a benefit in some RPM region and a detriment in another. Most upgraded cam work will be for higher RPM power gain and the expense of the lower regions. For street riding, this is the opposite of what you want. For the track it is ideal.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I should be getting my bike back this week. I had a pcIII, race gasket, quick shifter, vortex rear sets, and the performance cams installed. I have a bmc race filter and a akra on the bike now. I'll let ya'll know the numbers are.

·
Supercharged Mod
4,392 Posts
I'll be interested in seeing how much torque you lose between 5000 and 8000 rpm ... ! ! ! The thin gasket will help compensate a bit.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I'm leaving the slip-on to try and see if I dont lose any in the mid.

·
Registered
5,228 Posts
You put cams in to let it breathe better and you're going to choke it with the stock exhaust header. It might help keep some mid but hurt the top end.

·
Registered
158 Posts
1killer1liter said:
You put cams in to let it breathe better and you're going to choke it with the stock exhaust header. It might help keep some mid but hurt the top end.
I think this could be the thread with the best correct:bullshit ratio. You are contradicting yourself by changing the cams and leaving a restrictive exhaust. Obtain a goal for your bike, stick to it, and mod accordingly. You are not goin to win the horsepower race and have great streetability.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Sorry that I've raised the BS bar by not having the money right now to throw a full system on. And the reason I had the cams thrown on is I'm getting my valves adjusted. This way I can save a few bucks on the labor. Once again its my fault I'm po.

·
Registered
158 Posts
ODog said:
Sorry that I've raised the BS bar by not having the money right now to throw a full system on. And the reason I had the cams thrown on is I'm getting my valves adjusted. This way I can save a few bucks on the labor. Once again its my fault I'm po.
I do not think we were, or at least i wasnt, ripping on you for not doing supporting mods. The point was a general discussion of how just changing one aspect of the system geared twords a particular RPM band will be hindered by, in this example, the stock exhaust. I am a college student full time, i know how the financial burden is. Again, was not trying to direct this to anyone :eek:ccasion1

1 - 20 of 21 Posts