Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I had the 1st gen injectors swapped out last week with the 2nd gen, bike is running smooth but weak, gotta get it re-mapped on monday, damn expensive experiment cos couldn't find a definitive answer as to whether its advantageous or not :dontknow:
Any1 done it & have results ? Will post up Dyno results when its done, got a bad feelin bout this lol not :rolleyes:

·
Registered
2,810 Posts
As far as I knew, there wasn't really a difference between the gen 1 and 2 injectors, at least as far as maximum flow was concerned. Even if there is, it won't make any difference in peak power. If the engine has the right amount of fuel, it really doesn't care what injectors are feeding it (as far as peak power is concerned).... I'm pretty sure the stock injectors are quite capable of giving it the right amount of fuel. :)

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The only info I could find is that, yes they do flow the same amount but there is a lesser no of holes in 2nd gen with a supposed better spray pattern.
Was thinking along the lines of.. better spray = better atomisation = better power :dontknow:
Oh well as said, damn expensive experiment after i've payed for new map, all I can say is fingers crossed lol
Thx Ergo

·
Registered
2,810 Posts
The air pulverizing the fuel mist as the engine tries like hell to suck the butterflies off the throttle blades at WOT does all the "atomization" that you need. The extra hole injectors/finer pattern is helpful for idle on bigger injectors, but the first gen really didn't have that problem to fix.

....who led you to believe it was a good idea?

·
Registered
700 Posts
Im courious to see the results, Yes the later models did spray a finer pattern. I dont think i have ever seen test to see if they really help. Look foward to the results.

·
Supercharged Mod
4,391 Posts
Fine atomizing injectors are more of a cold-start / emissions / driveability thing, as opposed to a horsepower thing.

·
Registered
2,658 Posts
I've tried gen2 injectors on my 1st gen and it was a no-go.
Could not adjust the fuelling correctly. +1 on pc3 was either too much or too little.
Went back to stock.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Sorry for the wait

Here is the Dyno map after I had it remapped with the Gen2 injectors, it was done on a dyno that is known not to be "generous" in the middle of summer on a humid day.
The results are 3HP down on previously posted graphs http://www.zx-10r.net/forum/showthread.php?t=73847 These were done on a slightly generous dyno in late Winter.
I have found an advantage ! My fuel light always came on at near on 105 miles, now it comes on between 120-125 miles, definite positive with fuel prices :thumbsup:

Attachments

·
Registered
24 Posts
I tried this experiment with ZX-14 injectors on my Turbo Gen 1 ZX-10R. It simply would not run. I thought I could adjust with a Power Commander but could not get the bike to run at all.

Don

·
Registered
1,361 Posts
best option , have your gen 1 injectors professionally cleaned and flowed. they are 8-9 years old now. does make a difference, especially in a perf. build.

·
Registered
2,810 Posts
I tried this experiment with ZX-14 injectors on my Turbo Gen 1 ZX-10R. It simply would not run. I thought I could adjust with a Power Commander but could not get the bike to run at all.

Don
No doubt, you need -50 numbers at least to get the 440's to idle happy in a gen 1/2. But it will run if you get it right. :)

I you have any doubt, get 'em cleaned for sure. RC has a nice service that I just used on a big bore raptor injector. You get flow charts pre & post cleaning, and they ship quickly. At the very least it removes any doubt about your injector performance.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts