Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
234 Posts
I own an '85 Yamaha Maxim XJ700 and this is one of those bikes that were make for only two years due to those teriff laws...very hard to find parts for, especially here in Canada.

·
La Flama Blanca
7,730 Posts
Part of it is the economy, but IMHO, they have shot theirselves in the foot with their marketing and refusal to change with the market. Sucssfull baby boomers were eating up that outlaw biker persona for the last few years, well seems the fad is dying out, all the true bikers are alienated and turned off by the high prices and saturated market with cookie cutter Harley's. A few years ago the company was big enough it could have afforded to develop different styles and technology in their bikes, but they chose to remain on course, and now they are paying the price. I am sure they will make it out, but they will not probably be the same.

·
Registered
609 Posts
What t-shirt sales are down? I recall reading they made a lot more money in merchandising than they ever have selling bikes (assuming you call a harley a bike).

They limited their supply pretty much to orders to justify the high price to their limited market. Pretty much been selling the same repackaged design for 50 years.

·
Still here
9,059 Posts
So that is why I saw a commercial bringing back the, "your sportser will be worth what you paid for it when you trade it towards another Harley" deal.

And yes I remember the tariff days.

Time to put tariffs on all the crap (especially the stuff American companies have) made out side of the U.S.A. Then we could have some jobs here producing stuff again.

Yes stuff would cost more, but we could have quality stuff again too, like the "old days."
Then we could appreciate the junk rather than think of it as disposable and only to last a few years.

My parents just today replaced a 37 year old oven at their house. Think they got their money's worth? It still worked too.

George Carlin on Stuff:

·
Accountant in training.
2,847 Posts
Not too surprising... I've read somewhere that about 80% of all HD's sold require financing... Banks are hording their bailout money instead of making it available for loans. Automakers are having a hard time getting loans for people to buy their cars too.

Maybe HD will price their bikes more in line with where they should be...

Chris

·
OMG Look at that squid!!
2,595 Posts
My good buddy Ronnie is an R/D guy for them. He helped develop and customize the V-Rod and Street Rod and it's variants. He says the KC plant is hurting...

·
Banned
2,838 Posts
HD's suck and this is what happens when you refuse to get with the 21 century! garbage in garbage out!

·
Registered
10,362 Posts
how could they go broke. well, i was there when Regan save there ass and harley gave him a customize bike. well, just amazing they need help again. But i shouldn't be shock because the same thing we were saying back then. Still goe today. Under power, over price and unreliable.

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
HD's suck and this is what happens when you refuse to get with the 21 century! garbage in garbage out!

It's not their fault, they only build what the public buys....in this case the Harley public was buying the "lifestyle"

Blaming harley for selling the "lifestyle" is like blaming the car companies for selling SUV's and Pickups......the public wants them because SUV's are safer/stylin/I need the room and the pickups are the last bastion of the asphalt cowboy....

in all instances the "public" was buying things they could not afford using credit that they really did not qualify for.....

now all the chickens are on the way home to roost....

·
Banned
2,838 Posts
It's not their fault, they only build what the public buys....in this case the Harley public was buying the "lifestyle"

Blaming harley for selling the "lifestyle" is like blaming the car companies for selling SUV's and Pickups......the public wants them because SUV's are safer/stylin/I need the room and the pickups are the last bastion of the asphalt cowboy....

in all instances the "public" was buying things they could not afford using credit that they really did not qualify for.....

now all the chickens are on the way home to roost....

Okay fair point! but if you are such a sheep that you will buy a bike with such huge mechanical issues just so you look cool your an idiot! I have people come into my office { and in my office it's clear I ride and race sport bikes i.e pictures all over my walls} and say ...what?... you ride Jap Crap???? and all I can do is laugh and say yeah I ride Japanese sport bikes! but then again the whole idea of the white trash HD image sickens me!

·
Registered
4,818 Posts
If HD were a nutsack I would punch it till it turned black.

·
Registered
11,157 Posts
maybe all of us members could file something and get a zx-10r.net bailout?

·
Registered
4,818 Posts
maybe all of us members could file something and get a zx-10r.net bailout?
I am all for it! I need some new plastics and an exhaust so let's do it. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
347 Posts
Maybe they shouldn't have spent that $190 million to buy MV Augusta...

1 - 20 of 41 Posts