Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 20 of 75 Posts

·
Registered
754 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, so after reading about the guy who had a low HP reading on a dyno at a Hardley dealership, I just couldn't resist gettin' up on my soapbox. I am all for freedom of expression, but I just don't understand the whole Harley thing.

Two guys that I work with are big Harley fans - even though neither has a bike right now (one is lucky to be able to afford the roof over his head). Both want a Harley because they "want to be able to rattle windows and wake up the neighbors everytime the bike starts up". I don't get it.

Recently in Motorcyclist magazine, there was a two-page spread about the new Buell something-or-other. 1200cc v-twin, $11.5k, 104 or so HP, 84 lb. ft. of torque.... Ho-hum. Turn the page and there is the new Aprilia Tuono R Factory. 998cc v-twin, $13k, 130+ HP, 79 or so lb. ft. of torque in a much more attractive and aggressive package. One-third MORE horsepower and almost all the torque for only a few clams more.

Growing up, I was never a v-twin fan, but could now easily add one to my garage. What I don't understand is this: the technology is out there to produce a sporting v-twin (Honda, Suzuki, Ducati, Aprilia, KTM, etc.). Why does Harley insist on using decades-old technology to produce a hybrid sport bike? Is the Buell really only for young Harley die-hards who want something other than a cruiser? One look at that huge dinosaur lump of a motor in those things really turns me off. The machining doesn't even look modern!

Speaking of modern tech, big hoopla a while back with the new Harley engine (Revolution?). I think Harley finally broke the 100 hp barrier. Um, ever ride a Kawasaki Vulcan 2000? Talk about a freight train on steroids! Better running bike, more power, top-notch engineering, and less dough than HD.

Guess I just don't get it. :dontknow:

·
Accountant in training.
2,847 Posts
I don't get it either. That's why I ride a sport bike.

I like the way cruisers look and sound as long as they don't have straight pipes. But the few times I've ridden one, I didn't feel safe. Weak engine, weak breaks, limited clearance....

Buells pretty much suck too. Pretty nice for wheelies, but otherwise nothing to get me excited about. Try to ride it quickly and you are constantly running into the rev limiter... And the tranny bites too... It seems like you have to wait a second or two before you can let the clutch out.... Buells are about as much sport bike as my Grand Am GT is a sports car. :crackup:

Chris

·
Registered
11,624 Posts
Why re-invent the wheel when you're selling all you can make and at a huge premium? Old tech, why should they care? You know you want one.... :lol:

·
Registered
1,538 Posts
I feel ya man!!.....:headshake

Its got push rods..... What more can I say:dontknow: ......

·
inappropriate
7,728 Posts
you answered your own questions my friend. harley was known for its pedigree engineering and its roots. it stuck w that. that was until it sold out to overseas. so now that engineering is all it has left.
also, look at the 1098 only packin what, 140hp or some shit? that bike pushing track numbers on the straights and twisties w price and times that rivals all jap bikes!
im seeing a new era thats following the new motogp bikes. simply put size doesnt matter (no pun intended). just look at the 04/05 zx10r it will run a busa...

·
Bloo Moderator
23,742 Posts
Why re-invent the wheel when you're selling all you can make and at a huge premium? Old tech, why should they care? You know you want one.... :lol:
:+1: :helmet:

·
Registered
127 Posts
Who can understand the way of things:dontknow: I just know I'm not a Harley fan but I have good friends that are. The problem I see is that when they get on their bikes they transform into people I would rather not even talk to. The whole leather chaps and head mesh thing.

My sister just came into a lot of money and decided to get some bikes and asked me about Harleys after hearing what I had to say she went with a Honda Shadow:helmet:, saved some bucks that I made her spend on real riding gear and her and her husband are tickled pink with the bikes and even more happy that they didn't spend on two bikes what they would have spent on one if they bought a Harley:thumbsup:!

What I'm happy about is I talked them into getting over the image by buying and wearing some good protective gear:eek:ccasion1

·
Registered
193 Posts
Harley stock is on the dop as the ranks of Harley riders has been filled.
Analist say now is a good time to buy HD stock, Isay dump it, it's on its last down hill slide. There's enough "American iron" out there for the next 3 generations. Let 'em rust in peace.

·
Registered
474 Posts
I hear you

As A dealer I am passing up big money by not selling Harley(there profit margin for dealer is one of the highest in the business).I can't in good faith look someone in the eye and tell them.This is the best bike out there.
I think the majority of Harley riders give motorcyclist a bad name by: Bocking traffic,no helmets,way to loud exhaust and just in general being a**holes.Not to mention the only other bike riders that don't wave to you.
There's nothing more fun than getting to smoking some Harley riders.

·
Registered
516 Posts
Ahhh, Hardley Abelson drug of choice for the gay pirate costume crowd. I generally try and keep the peace with the two wheeled brotherhood but some of these tools have issues only a swift kick in the nutz can cure. I always see these guys up in the twisties holding up cars and wadding their chrome frame sliders!!! Then when you blow by them their fliiping you off. Here in Cali I get to watch them waddle through rush hour traffic revving their POS and mad dogging every cage as they go by. I sometimes wonder if the cagers that take them out aren't PMSing soccer moms smashing purposely into the oil to noise converters to keep them from waking the kids in the mini van.:crackup:

Either way it is a sadly misinformed way of life. The mighty V-rod is worth about 1 gear on my ten. If I ever have to hear some Sam Shepard wannabe ask me "When you gonna get a real bike?" again it will be too soon. I don't count hardleys as kills because that would be tantamount to MJ playing one on one against Vern Troyer (Mini me). I've waited patiently behind these tools for a passing lane only to watch them try and wring some speed out of their rusty iron. I just pull even with them, show them three fingers (3rd gear), shake my head in disgust and then "warp factor 9 Mr. Sulu". Leaving a whirlwind of bandanas, Lick-n-stick tatooes and assless chaps flying in the jet wash.

I'd rather be a power ranger anyday.:cool:

·
Registered
249 Posts
thanks for sticking up for me zx10r_guy. I did get it dynoed again this morning and got 163 at a Kawi dealer. BlueDevil ragged on me pretty good and i totally understood why. HARLEY'S SUCK ASS !!!!

·
Bloo Moderator
23,742 Posts
thanks for sticking up for me zx10r_guy. I did get it dynoed again this morning and got 163 at a Kawi dealer. BlueDevil ragged on me pretty good and i totally understood why. HARLEY'S SUCK ASS !!!!

Sorry you took it that way but it's all good and so are those #s. :thumbsup:

·
I really need to get out of the house
11,176 Posts
I know every dyno is different but HOLY CRAP! :lol:

·
Registered
754 Posts
Discussion Starter #19

You got it, man. Guess Power Rangers for life, eh? :crackup: :crackup: :crackup:

·
Registered
754 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I've waited patiently behind these tools for a passing lane only to watch them try and wring some speed out of their rusty iron. I just pull even with them, show them three fingers (3rd gear), shake my head in disgust and then "warp factor 9 Mr. Sulu". Leaving a whirlwind of bandanas, Lick-n-stick tatooes and assless chaps flying in the jet wash.

I'd rather be a power ranger anyday.:cool:

HA! I was cracking up as I read this to my wife. Great line! :mrgreen:

Reminds me of riding my old zx9r several years ago with another guy on his VTR 1000. We were up on Rt. 2 (Mohawk Trail in MA) when we got stuck behind a whole herd (10 or so) of slow-moving cattle. No passing zones in sight, we took advantage of the few short straights but found ourselves stuck mid-pack for about a mile. Man, did we get some dirty looks while we were "intruding" on their space. Alas, the next short straight, we made short work of the remainder of the sloth-like creatures. :crackup: :crackup: :crackup: :crackup:

1 - 20 of 75 Posts