Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
724 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So there's another dude on this board that fabed up hard luggage for his 10 and since I'm a spoiled little brat from my last bike I had to do it myself. I commute everyday and having a locking waterproof trunk is worth it's weight in GOLD. I'm in the process of putting together a writeup but in a nutshell you have to sacrifice your rear seat to the gods, paint and sand your plastic seat base, bolt a Givi Monolock base to it, and synch up the slack in the mounts into your tail so the whole thing doesn't wiggle around. All I can say it kicks ass...I've had it for a tad over a week and I'm very satisfied. Write up is coming....just have to find the time to put it together....

Reactions: Superbike1

·
Premium Member
9,188 Posts
Seen something similar done to a 1098. It was awesome and I want one bad. Please post pics when you can, I'd love to see it. :ayyy:

·
Still here
9,059 Posts
I have one of the JC whitney type knock off givi case like that mounted to a spare passenger seat that I used to have a tail bag mounted to.

Never even uncovered the seat, just drilled, used fender washers, 4 bolts for the base.

Haven't used it much (hate to see her lookin that way) but seems sturdy enough as is.

·
Registered
724 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I have one of the JC whitney type knock off givi case like that mounted to a spare passenger seat that I used to have a tail bag mounted to.

Never even uncovered the seat, just drilled, used fender washers, 4 bolts for the base.

Haven't used it much (hate to see her lookin that way) but seems sturdy enough as is.
I'm using my setup everyday and it's working real well so far. I'm planning on using when I go to laguna, etc next summer as long as all goes well.

·
Guilty by association
8,751 Posts
back pack for me, that is a good idea, just not for a 10r

·
Registered
724 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
back pack for me, that is a good idea, just not for a 10r
I hate backbacks...not only for the lack of storage capacity but also I hate having something on my back when riding. This is waterproof, can hold a ton of crap, is removable in 10 seconds, and solves all the luggage needs I have. It takes 10 seconds to put a seat on or rear cap. Easy as pie and gets the job done.

Reactions: mr_honez

·
Premium Member
9,188 Posts
Looks great and looks like it will work great too. Thanks for the write up, Rep sent. :ayyy:

·
Still here
9,059 Posts
It takes 10 seconds to put a seat on or rear cap. Easy as pie and gets the job done.
That is my favorite part.

There is a new member offering a free 08 pass seat with a blemish, just pay shipping.

http://zx-10r.net/forum/showthread.php?t=66545

Would be good for anyone who wants something similar for an 08/09.

A nice tail bag bolted to the seat works great too- no scuffs or scratches from straps.
It is less intrusive than a givi but not as big (or dry.)

·
Registered
828 Posts
I just recieved my extra seat today from one of the forum members and I paid 25$ with shipping. I have already taken the cover and foam off and plan on getting a trunk from jc witney for 68 bucks. This will be great for work commuting.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
67 Posts
I know this is an old thread, but I am going to do the same thing with a spare passenger seat except with a SHAD top case. I can get a matte black 45 liter one for 180 shipped from cycleluggage.com and it comes with the mounting bracket and keys.

Anyone have a spare Gen 1 passenger seat in great condition they want to sell for a fair price? The one on my bike is going to be used for the case and I want a good one for the spare.

·
Registered
88 Posts
hmmm

very nice and a clean look but just for those who need to have a passenger AND a topcase i felt i should share the fruits of my exhausting search efforts. out of england there is a company called rentech that makes a rack for the tail of verious zx10r's and for under 200 delivered each for me and my riding buddy we bought them. took a half hour to install and allthough it is not rated for much weight i still have the ability to mount the trunk and have my wife aboard as well.....

1 - 14 of 14 Posts