Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
1,167 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here's a nice link i found that has a decent write-up with pictures for changing your tires using the harbor freight tire changer.

I usually just take them off and 10 bucks from a shop back home it was done, BUT since i moved i may have to start doing them myself. I know several of you guys use this, but i was wondering if i need to buy a compressor to get the bead seated? can you use just a tire pump?? or would a small portable tank be ok?

http://mcnamee.tzo.net/motorcycle/tools/hf_tire_changer/harbor_freight_tire_changer.html

·
Registered
2,644 Posts
good find :thumbsup: here's some rep.

·
Registered
537 Posts
Nice find! I"ve been thinking about buying one of these.

·
Registered
148 Posts
my friend has one we have been changing our own tires for couple years now works very good. also let the new tire set out in the sun for a little while to make it softer, to help the installation, whenever possible. yes you need a compressor to set the bead!!!

·
Bloo Moderator
23,742 Posts
1rocket69 said:
Will a portable air tank similar to this work?
http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=40057

And where do ya'll buy your new valve stems from? i don't have a bike shop close by
rocket...that tank won't work:headshake"....I have a 4hp 7 scfm @90psi compressor and sometimes that takes a few tricks to start the bead seal and then sometimes no problem. Not saying you need that but something just a little smaller at the min.

You can also take it to any car tire station and I bet most will fill the tire for free.

·
Rent this space
6,590 Posts
Can of brake cleaner and a match sets the bead just fine , I have done it when my compressor took a dump.

·
Registered
656 Posts
By the way I just ordered changer and motorcycle adapter from Harbor Freight and a balancer off E-bay total price: $200. No more paying for tire changes for me.

·
Registered
1,167 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
bluedevil said:
rocket...that tank won't work:headshake"....I have a 4hp 7 scfm @90psi compressor and sometimes that takes a few tricks to start the bead seal and then sometimes no problem. Not saying you need that but something just a little smaller at the min.

You can also take it to any car tire station and I bet most will fill the tire for free.
I was afraid it wouldn't work, guess i'll have to break down and buy a compressor. Don't want to be making a trip to the store just to finish the job.

·
Registered
361 Posts

·
Registered
603 Posts
Actually a 10 gallon air tank will seat the bead on your tires EASILY. I keep mine pumped up to about 100psi and I can usually do a front and rear tire with no problem. I also have the harbor freight changer. Spend $75 on it total and have problaly changed close to 75 tires over the last 4 years...I have it cemented in the ground in my back yard. Very important that it is mounted solid. I originally tried masonry anchors and the whole machine was rocking back and forth. IT will work you to death compared to a Coats 220 or the like but for the price I think it's a good deal :eek:ccasion1

·
Registered
1,221 Posts
FAF said:
Can of brake cleaner and a match sets the bead just fine , I have done it when my compressor took a dump.
When I was in the Army we used that method on a Scraper tire that we had first tried the Army way of packing bead with grease it worked but the grease we had packed shot little fire balls all over the place when we lit it off.

·
Bloo Moderator
23,742 Posts
Lawdog78 said:
Actually a 10 gallon air tank will seat the bead on your tires EASILY. I keep mine pumped up to about 100psi and I can usually do a front and rear tire with no problem.
yeah...on a bicycle it works just fine:badteeth: also that is a Holding tank rocket was looking at and needs an air supply anyway to fill...like a compressor:idea: ..same thing most here are talking about. :heyyou:

So call :bs: if your saying your filling tires with the same thing. :headshake:..at least for a Motorcycle and not your leg bike.:wink:

1 - 20 of 28 Posts