Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1,399 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What would be some handling symptoms of improper fork oil level, or of fork oil level being mismatched between the forks (no smart-ass comments, please...)

Reason I'm asking is because in the weeks leading up to my seal blowing, while I was monitoring my 'dirty rings', while banking into a corner the bike would feel normal until it reached a certain angle, and then it would want to just SLAM over. I had to arrest the lean angle with the throttle quickly or it would feel like I was about to countersteer myself into the ground.

It felt almost exactly like it does when you have a squared off rear tire..... only my tires are fairly new, have plenty of tread, and are far from being squared off.

Anybody know for sure whether or not incorrect or mismatched levels can cause this problem? :dontknow:

·
Registered
253 Posts
What would be some handling symptoms of improper fork oil level, or of fork oil level being mismatched between the forks (no smart-ass comments, please...)

Reason I'm asking is because in the weeks leading up to my seal blowing, while I was monitoring my 'dirty rings', while banking into a corner the bike would feel normal until it reached a certain angle, and then it would want to just SLAM over. I had to arrest the lean angle with the throttle quickly or it would feel like I was about to countersteer myself into the ground.

It felt almost exactly like it does when you have a squared off rear tire..... only my tires are fairly new, have plenty of tread, and are far from being squared off.

Anybody know for sure whether or not incorrect or mismatched levels can cause this problem? :dontknow:
I don't think it would make a huge difference unless it's off by inches instead of millimeters. It's mostly for fine tuning by adding or subtracting the amount of air the fork has to initially compress which changes riding harshness/plushness. I don't think it would necessary handle differently unless it was a HUGE difference in oil level. Were you actually leaking oill? Or was it a sudden seal blow-out?

On a related topic, I spoke to Ohlins not too long ago about spring weights for us mere mortals. I asked if you had a rider that needs a .987 spring, what would they recommend. Surprisingly, he told me that since they don't make a .987 spring for the general public, to drop a 1.0 in one tube, and a .975 in another since they are together by the wheel and clamps, the resulting effect would work out to be about a .987 spring weight. Freaky.

You can experiment with Fork Oil levels if you like, I highly recommend getting a REALLY good fork oil level tool like this one:

http://street.parts-unlimited.com/51/568/4095600?q=Fork Oil Level

... or the equivalent kit by Motion Pro.

You bold do it while the forks are in the bike, just keep in mind that you have to take into account that the forks are on an angle so the level will be different. But if you want to experiment and see how it feels when you have more or less fork oil in opposite tubes, you can give it a try.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts