Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
838 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After fitting power commander i was getting some big bangs out the exhaust on overrun so thought id get mss to set it up for me.
I wasnt going for max bhp just a safe setup thats fueling right.
Plus the bike had to be mapped with the baffle in because i keep getting black flagged for noise.
Firstly it was way too rich so was causing the bangs.
It was 185rwhp after map with few extra torque which apparently is as good as they see on a hot day like today.
Dyno room was hot hot hot.
I asked as many questions as i could while i was there. Firstly the intake flap makes no odds. Mss did testing and they do not hardly make any difference in power. They are noise only.
The exhaust butterfly can take a couple of bhp at lower revs but that doesnt bother me as its quieter.
They unplugged the oxygen sensor as that can cause fueling problems once mapped.
So i need it flashed one day when i got some spare cash to remove the red light.
Bike rode well after and seems to pick up a bit better.
I will get a pic of map soon.
Could only get little clip of it.
https://youtu.be/Zg6Ed7wvM30

·
Registered
2,929 Posts
Nice numbers anyway!with the 02 sencor how did they go about disconnecting it?I thought the only way to by pass the lambda sensor(closed loop)especially using PCV was to use a optimiser!thanks in advance

·
Registered
838 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Nice numbers anyway!with the 02 sencor how did they go about disconnecting it?I thought the only way to by pass the lambda sensor(closed loop)especially using PCV was to use a optimiser!thanks in advance
They just simply unplugged it.

·
Registered
1,284 Posts
You can bypass the O2 sensor with the flashing software

·
Registered
838 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
You can bypass the O2 sensor with the flashing software
They want 145pounds to flash it which does away with sensor but its a bit too much just to turn a light off.
I dont need the top speed limiter removed 189 mph is enough for uk tracks.
Dont need to change maps whilst riding really so unless something changes i have to put up with a red light on all the time.

·
Registered
2,929 Posts
Yes I no you can flash and delete O2 sensor but with UK bike it's a euro spec and has the lambda sensor for a reason!(to help with exhaust emissions and leans the fueling)I honestly have never heard of anyone just disconnecting it and leaving it like that!with Aus gen4s you either have to flash,connect a optimiser or use another fueling module like Rapidbike that uterlisers the sensor!

·
Registered
1,284 Posts
Yes I no you can flash and delete O2 sensor but with UK bike it's a euro spec and has the lambda sensor for a reason!(to help with exhaust emissions and leans the fueling)I honestly have never heard of anyone just disconnecting it and leaving it like that!with Aus gen4s you either have to flash,connect a optimiser or use another fueling module like Rapidbike that uterlisers the sensor!
The ZX10R still uses Alpha N tuning (TPS and RPM's) for 10-100% throttle and the IAP sensor for below 10%. The O2 sensor doesn't control fueling

·
Registered
838 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Im sure the sensor must control something. Thats why mine was unplugged on dyno because the readings would cause problems with the pc5 map.

·
Registered
2,929 Posts
I thought it was there to help with emissions at the very low percentage of throttle openings set at a specific value,but I'm prolly so far off the mark it's not funny!

·
Registered
2,307 Posts
The O2 senors are narrow band sensors, basically they can only detect & make small changes to AFR, typically on a 10 below 6000 RPM. This is necessary at low revs & throttle openings as there is much less quantities of fuel & air so the slightest deviance have a effect on the way the bike runs. With a piggy back module (PCV) it sits between the ecu & injectors changing what the ECU thinks its sending to the injectors, so the O2 sensors need disconnecting because they are then telling the ECU to send less or more (because it does not know the PCV is in the middle changing things) so the ECU does that but the PCV is pre set so it does not know it is adding or removing fuel that has just been adjusted by the ECU so the tuner cannot tune the bike as the AFR's are being constantly changed by the the O2 sensors. However if the fuel map is being directly flashed to the ECU then after flashing the O2 sensors can be turned back on as they can be turned on & off by the software at will. So a bike thats been flashed & has O2 sensors enabled afterwards will run a little smoother below 6000 RPM as the slight changes of air temperature & pressure & so forth are compensated by the slight adjustments of the O2 sensors.

·
Registered
838 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
The O2 senors are narrow band sensors, basically they can only detect & make small changes to AFR, typically on a 10 below 6000 RPM. This is necessary at low revs & throttle openings as there is much less quantities of fuel & air so the slightest deviance have a effect on the way the bike runs. With a piggy back module (PCV) it sits between the ecu & injectors changing what the ECU thinks its sending to the injectors, so the O2 sensors need disconnecting because they are then telling the ECU to send less or more (because it does not know the PCV is in the middle changing things) so the ECU does that but the PCV is pre set so it does not know it is adding or removing fuel that has just been adjusted by the ECU so the tuner cannot tune the bike as the AFR's are being constantly changed by the the O2 sensors. However if the fuel map is being directly flashed to the ECU then after flashing the O2 sensors can be turned back on as they can be turned on & off by the software at will. So a bike thats been flashed & has O2 sensors enabled afterwards will run a little smoother below 6000 RPM as the slight changes of air temperature & pressure & so forth are compensated by the slight adjustments of the O2 sensors.
Interesting.
I will see how it rides today.
When i brought it home the on off throttle seemed great.
The bangs had reduced to pops.
Biggest difference was tempurature of the engine had gone up.
Its always run cool and my dads s1000 always ran hot. I think mines the same as his now. I will find out for sure today

·
Registered
2,307 Posts
It will probably be running a across the board a little leaner than stock settings for performance reasons that explains the temperature increase. It hopefully will be really sweet for you at lower revs, i expect it it will as you have near stock set up on the bike, big cams dialled cams race systems etc make it hard to tune well at low revs but you should be fine.

·
Registered
219 Posts
The narrow band o2 sensors are there for emissions. They try to achieve a stoich air/fuel mixture where the cat works best.
For gas without ethanol this is around 14.7:1. (lambda=1) They normally work on steady low throttle/rpm. They can only sense either lean or rich of lambda and signals the ecu to adjust fuel accordingly. This is called closed loop. I believe for the gen 4 this area is in 4th-6th gear for most of the <=15% throttle and some of the 20% throttle, but can`t verify as I have a 07 myself. (For my 07 its only in 5th and 6th gear)

It is also possible to run with the o2 sensors connected. But then it is critical that the closed loop area is not touched with the PCV for reasons stated earlier in the thread. You can tune around it with a PCV advanced gear map.
But if the bike runs good now, its probably better to leave it as is and flash out the error code and light later down the road.
In the meantime you won`t get the benefit of having the FI light working if something else goes wrong.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts