Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 20 of 63 Posts

·
Banned
1,516 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So i finally put 16/39 gearing on my bike and the tune was pretty much on and went riding with bunch of guys. Ended up doing a 60mph punch with a k5 gsxr(dynoed at 153rwhp with few mods) and 3rd gen zx10r (stock), they went from first and i went from second, i left them cause they went up straight up lol. Then k5 ran 3rd gen and pulled 4-5 bikes..........i was surprised. k5 been beating everybody from what i heard and last time i ran him he pulled 2 bikes on me (17/39 gearing lol). This time i punched it and he never came around, he said that it was to close to call, and i was like bring it to the track and we'll see whats up. I figured 3rd gen would give him run for his money but guess not, my 2nd gen has a .5 headgasket, 3rd gen head and stock08/06 cams, 16/39, bazzaz with self made map, thats it

·
Banned
1,516 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well we put our bikes on the dyno and my bike had about 10hp more than his.......... so apperantly my bike is highly modded..lol. My bike is all stock except for bazzaz, 3rd gen head and 3gen intake came, oh and thin headgasket lol

·
Registered
729 Posts
Shoulda went with a 1st gen head... Bigger valves. I walked a mildly modded k5 last Thursday night from 60 to 150ish by at least 10 bikes. That's after I got out of it and turned around to look ( no mirrors). Ran 3 times same result. Guy was my size.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Shoulda went with a 1st gen head... Bigger valves. I walked a mildly modded k5 last Thursday night from 60 to 150ish by at least 10 bikes. That's after I got out of it and turned around to look ( no mirrors). Ran 3 times same result. Guy was my size.
:protest:
10 bike lengths, no chance!
even tho your bike states it has more mods than a WSBK, and you was probably racing a stock K5 GSXR it still wouldnt pull 10 bike lengths, just check my profile album i have had a 09 ZX10R and a GSXR K5 1000 and believe me the GSXR is a better bike considering its the lightest 1000 ever made at only 166kg compared with the ZX10R at 204kg thats a lot of horse power lost in weight, my K5 was running 162.2bhp at the back wheel with only a K&N filter, a power commander 3 + custom map and stock exhaust with set valve removed

·
Banned
1,516 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
3rd and 1st gen heads have the same size valves

·
Registered
729 Posts
:protest:
10 bike lengths, no chance!
even tho your bike states it has more mods than a WSBK, and you was probably racing a stock K5 GSXR it still wouldnt pull 10 bike lengths, just check my profile album i have had a 09 ZX10R and a GSXR K5 1000 and believe me the GSXR is a better bike considering its the lightest 1000 ever made at only 166kg compared with the ZX10R at 204kg thats a lot of horse power lost in weight, my K5 was running 162.2bhp at the back wheel with only a K&N filter, a power commander 3 + custom map and stock exhaust with set valve removed
Ya I got a lot of mods, and his was very lightly modded, but I also don't think he was much of a rider! Maybe I'm exagerating, but I killed him and he aknowledged it with major head nods. And both of you are wrong. Gen 2, 3 have the smaller valves. Gen 4 went back up to the same size as gen1. And check again on your weights, 1st gen is the lightest 1000 ever made, second is current CBR.
And please don't start spitting out HP numbers. Every dyno n all conditions are always different. I pulled 170 on one and 156 on another dyno.. so take those numbers home with ya.

·
Registered
729 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
My bad i was quoting the weight of my gen3 at 204kg, the listings below are of reviews by MCN and owners of both machines and there factual specifications, check the weight for yourself, i agree no to dyno's are the same and i did take my numbers home :lol: on the dynojet approved dyno tuning centre print out.

. . Kawasaki ZX-10R (2004-2005)

Detail Value
Used price range View Kawasaki ZX-10R bikes for sale to see current asking prices
Engine size 998cc
Power 181bhp
Top speed 180mph
Insurance group 17

MCN ratings Owners' ratings
Overall
Engine
Ride & Handling
Equipment
Quality & Reliability
Value
. MCN overall verdict
The Kawasaki ZX-10R is sold as the ultimate track bike – the 2004/05 ZX-10R was one of Kawasaki’s first machines after the firm gave itself a kick up the arse in 2002. The 10R’s one wild ride and an absolute weapon in experienced hands. It’s light, makes massive power and handles superbly on the track –a bit of a handful on the road though.

EngineMCN rating
Owners' rating
.The Kawasaki ZX-10R's 181 bhp is never going to be anything other than a rush that drugs can’t match. It can’t quite match the GSX-R for low down drive but get the revs up and the 10R’s hard to fault. It’s civilized and flexible enough at lower revs to make pottering a possibility too – although that’s really not what the bike’s all about.

Ride and HandlingMCN rating
Owners' rating
.The Kawasaki ZX-10R is effortless and precise. As easy to chuck about as a 600 and pretty stable regardless of whether you’re easing round a damp roundabout or hurling it reet over on a track day or race. Like all modern sports bikes it can be twitchy and isn’t for the inexperienced. Brakes are incredibly strong too.

EquipmentMCN rating
Owners' rating
.The Kawasaki ZX-10R is minimal but not without a few extras. There’s a shift light which you can set to remind you when to change gear. Instrument cluster which is shared with several other Kawasakis can appear unclear to some – the LCD rev counter sweeps round the edge and isn’t as obvious as an old-fashioned needle gauge.

Click here for the 10 best parts for the Kawasaki ZX-10R, as recommended by real owners at ZX-10R.net.

Quality and ReliabilityMCN rating
Owners' rating
.The ‘big four’ Japanese marques all produce pretty solid bikes these days and Kawasaki is no longer a league behind Honda. That said fasteners, brake hose connections, wheels, brackets and brake calipers can suffer if used in winter. No major reliability problems have shown up yet.

ValueMCN rating
Owners' rating
.The Kawasaki ZX-10R is always good value next to a used FireBlade. Discounts on new bikes are keeping used values on machines like this pretty reasonable. Insurance isn’t cheap so get a quote before you buy. Major servicing and tyre wear’s not for paupers either. But all rivals are the same – except the Italians which are more expensive. Find a Kawasaki ZX-10R for sale.

Insurance.Insurance group: 17

Compare motorcycle insurance quotes now

Model History.2004: Kawasaki ZX-10R launched.
2006: Replaced by completely revamped model.

Other Versions.None.

Specifications
Top speed 180mph
1/4-mile acceleration 10.7 secs
Power 181bhp
Torque 85ftlb
Weight 170kg
Seat height 825mm
Fuel capacity 17 litres
Average fuel consumption 38mpg
Tank range 141 miles
Insurance group 17
Engine size 998cc
Engine specification 16v in-line four, 6 gears
Frame Aluminium twin spar
Front suspension adjustment Preload, rebound, compression
Rear suspension adjustment Preload, rebound, compression
Front brakes Twin 300mm discs
Rear brake 220mm disc
Front tyre size 120/70 x 17
Rear tyre size 190/50 x 17

. . Suzuki GSX-R1000 (2005-2006)

Detail Value
New price £8,799
Used price range View Suzuki GSX-R1000 bikes for sale to see current asking prices
Engine size 999cc
Power 176bhp
Top speed 186mph
Insurance group 17

MCN ratings Owners' ratings
Overall
Engine
Ride & Handling
Equipment
Quality & Reliability
Value
.MCN overall verdict
The first Suzuki GSX-R1000 set new superbike standards in 2001, the second one did it again in 2003 and this, the third full Suzuki GSX-R1000 update, went straight back to the top of the superbike tree in 2005 and stayed there, pretty much ever since. The reasons for the Suzuki GSX-R1000's dominance are simple. Sublime, lithe ergonomics and handling, radical styling and full-on usable power.

EngineMCN rating
Owners' rating
.Under pressure from its rivals, the Suzuki GSX-R1000's capacity was raised from 989cc to a full 999cc. The result is a claimed 175bhp at the crank – putting the Suzuki GSX-R1000 on a par with the competition on paper but in truth giving the bike an advantage as Suzuki horses are often more muscular than those of other manufacturers when it comes to a dyno shoot-out. If you want the boss, the Suzuki GSX-R1000, pretty much, is it.

Ride and HandlingMCN rating
Owners' rating
.The all-new chassis was designed to bring as much weight as possible together in the middle of the Suzuki GSX-R1000 but Suzuki also decided to move the weight down, making the centre of gravity as low as possible. The result is that the Suzuki GSX-R1000 boasts fantastically sharp steering and ‘flickability’ without any significant trade off in stability.

EquipmentMCN rating
Owners' rating
.The K5/K6 Suzuki GSX-R1000 is standard fare, early 21st century kick-ass superbike. Neat alloy controls (pegs, bars, levers) dainty but comprehensive instrumentation and, er, not a lot else. When it comes to cutting-edge speed, less is always more… as the Suzuki GSX-R1000 demonstrates.

Quality and ReliabilityMCN rating
Owners' rating
.Fair enough. Suzuki’s top end bikes are better than most if looked after (although you have to fastidiously clean them through winter) and there have been no major reliability issues with the Suzuki GSX-R1000.

ValueMCN rating
Owners' rating
.The Suzuki GSX-R1000 is cheaper than a Fireblade and still, arguably, the best superbike most of the time. Due a replacement in 2007 so plenty of discounts are currently available. The Suzuki GSX-R1000 costa a lot of money, but you get an awful lot of bike for that money. Find a Suzuki GSX-R1000 for sale.

Insurance.Insurance group: 17

Compare motorcycle insurance quotes now

Model History.2005: Suzuki GSX-R1000 K5 launched available in black/grey, blue/white or yellow/black colourschemes.
2006: Suzuki GSX-R1000 K6. Colour changes only, now in black or red/black.

Other Versions.Limited Edition all-black Suzuki GSX-R1000 launched in 2005.
Suzuki GSX-R1000 Phantom. Road legal Yoshimura silencer and special black/silver paintscheme launched in 2006.

Specifications
Top speed 186mph
1/4-mile acceleration 10.8 secs
Power 176bhp
Torque 87ftlb
Weight 166kg
Seat height 810mm
Fuel capacity 18 litres
Average fuel consumption 34mpg
Tank range 121 miles
Insurance group 17
Engine size 999cc
Engine specification 16v transverse four, 6 gears
Frame Aluminium twin beam
Front suspension adjustment Preload, compression, rebound
Rear suspension adjustment Preload, compression, rebound
Front brakes Twin 310mm discs
Rear brake 220mm disc
Front tyre size 120/70 x 17
Rear tyre size 190/50 x 17

·
Registered
729 Posts
Ok Gav, wow. Manufactures specs huh, that's the ground your standing on. Whatever I don't want to turn this into one of "those" threads. Spec wars. Fill a gxr with a full tank n see if its even close to my 414#s. And my tune was dynojet certified center too, in 104 degree Texas heat. All good tho. We all ride! I just ride faster than most. Only gsxr that hangs with me is my boys 07 with race cams, full M4, tune, etc. And he only stays even with me cause he weighs 25lbs less than me. Little guy.

1 - 20 of 63 Posts