Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Banned
3,645 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
From those with actual experience, (yep I tried the search and there is far more pages than I want to read thru) what is the easiest or best way to gut the cat?

The reason I ask is I bought one of eBay along with the headers. My thinking is they will bolt on to the new 08. The new 08 has welded in cats. Since I got mint headers and a mint cat for $78.00 I figured it was worth a try to see if it will fit the 08. It appears it will.

With the 06 headers and gutted cat, along with a slip on I have already, I got a FULL system for less than 500 bucks that will probably perform close or close enough to a $2000.00 one. But then again, it may not.

OK Cat gutters, howd you do it?

Just stick something down in there and beat the sh!t out of it?

FWIW the 06-07 headers appears to have a cat that is not as large (surface area wise) as the 08.

Also, if anyone has a Arrow Cat Delete pipe they want to sell, PM me.

I may also try my 06 on the dyno, with and without a gutted cat next week, just to see if it really makes any difference. Just curios to know is all. If makes no difference, then why bother?

Thanks,

JJ

·
Registered
201 Posts
When I gutted my cat, I took a long flathead screwdriver and just started pounding away. It took me a good hour to get all that crap out of there. The stuff is unbelievably hard for being so light. I believe some guy on here actually cut his in half, gutted it, then welded it back together. Prolly cleaner, but more work than necessary. Good luck man....

Just my opinion, a gutted cat is not going to be the same as a full system, but it will be quite a bit better than just a slip-on.

·
Banned
3,645 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
When I gutted my cat, I took a long flathead screwdriver and just started pounding away. It took me a good hour to get all that crap out of there. The stuff is unbelievably hard for being so light. I believe some guy on here actually cut his in half, gutted it, then welded it back together. Prolly cleaner, but more work than necessary. Good luck man....

Just my opinion, a gutted cat is not going to be the same as a full system, but it will be quite a bit better than just a slip-on.
Actually I am planning on using the stock 06-07 headers, gutted cat AND a slip on. Not just the gutted cat. Thats a wide open pipe as I see it. I like the design of the stock headers, they also are Titanium.

06-07 Stock headers / Gutted Cat or cat delete / Area P slip on (eliminates boom box as well)

Thats the combination I am going to try on my 08. I can't see why that wouldn't work good.

JJ

·
Registered
209 Posts

did you bash out the welded plate in the cat where the pipes merge ?

·
Registered
201 Posts
Actually I am planning on using the stock 06-07 headers, gutted cat AND a slip on. Not just the gutted cat. Thats a wide open pipe as I see it. I like the design of the stock headers, they also are Titanium.

06-07 Stock headers / Gutted Cat or cat delete / Area P slip on (eliminates boom box as well)

Thats the combination I am going to try on my 08. I can't see why that wouldn't work good.

JJ

I'm not familiar with the 08 exhaust system at all. The Mid pipe on the 06 contains the catalytic converter. If I remember right, it's a two to one pipe. There are two separate pipes that contain that that material. I just punched out the material in the two spots. I didn't break out any weld, as I didn't see anywhere to punch it out.

I'm not saying it won't work well....I'm just saying that it's not going to be as smooth as a full exhaust system. It was my assumption that most aftermarket headers are larger than stock and allow more air-flow. I could be wrong....

·
Registered
1,971 Posts

JJ
when i gutted my old cat i used a drill with a long drill bit and hollowed away. You will also use a long screwdriver to punch out the honeycomb. Be sure you have a mask with a filter on it or you will inhale the hazardous materials into your lungs.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Keep us updated in terms of dyno numbers, I did the same thing you are describing but have not had a chance to really get it on the road yet. Fairly simple project...I used a hole saw on a drill with an extension. You can buy a hole saw bit that is very similar in size to the factory piping. Nice clean cut and its out.

·
Registered
724 Posts
Damn..it there's a great post with fricken pictures from another guy and I did the same thing (can't find it). I pulled the pipe out, used a door jam drill and another regular bit and just worked like a bitch getting it out. It took an hour or so to rip it all out on both sides...

·
Registered
230 Posts
drill + ft long paddle bit + 7mins 26 seconds later = gutted cat.

took it off the bike, 6 allen head screws on the front and the ass end slips into the exhaust...

·
Registered
116 Posts
I did mine just last week following a thread on here, i used a 18mm width spade drill bit with an extension.
It drilled out easily, and i tapped the rest out with a wide flat blade screwdriver.
Differences?
Only things i've been able to pick out is i can now detect the odd backfire, and a very slight change/increase in the exhaust note, it's deeper now.

IMHO the stuff that's in there doesný look that restrictive anyway, i'll need to dyno it again to catch any changes.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts