Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,399 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Concerning Les Pauls... does the difference between Gibson and Epiphone justify the price of a Gibson? I've not owned either but I've heard both arguments. Many people tell me to get an Epi and switch out the pickups, and I'll have basically the same thing for about half the price. I'm not a professional musician yet, but at any rate I will probably be picking up a no-bling studio model. I need an electric for songwriting.
I currently play a Martin D-15.

Thanks for the input
Casey

·
Registered
2,166 Posts
I have played both brands of guitars, I am know expert by any means, but I can tell the difference. My friend has a 70 something SG and that thing is sweet as apple butter.

·
Registered
235 Posts
yep... the two brands use totally different woods which has a huge impact on the resonance. yeah the epiphone also has cheaper electronics and hardware, so swapping the pickups won't solve the problem... not that there is a problem, there is nothing wrong with epiphone and for the price I would recommend it. But there is a reason for the price diff

·
Registered
1,399 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
So I would save money in the long run by just saving up and going with a Gibson Studio LP I guess.
I don't like buying things twice.... that's the reason I got the Martin for my accoustic.

·
Registered
2,128 Posts
I've worked at a music store for a few summers and haveplayed both. I have an epi custom and a PRS custom 22. There is a difference between the epi and gibson for sure. You can tell a lot more quality out of a gibson just in the feel and sound. But if you just need an electric for every now and then, I'd suggest buying a little nicer epiphone than a studio and saving your money. The pickups aren't that bad, you could replace them if you like. But I'd just save the money. If you needed an electric for full time playing I'd suggest a nicer guitar but for just an addition to your acoustic playing, go epi.

·
Registered
152 Posts
I would stop into the guitar shop every so often just to brouse around and always wanting a Les Paul I'd sit down and play one while I was there and then I'd go play the epiphone model. Any difference I noticed was probably in my head but I eventually broke down and bought a studio LP anyway. I've played the epiphone model at the store after owning my LP for a little while and now I notice a difference. Better tone, better feel and on top of all that, it's a Les Paul:wink:

Good luck on your choice
kawazeppelin

·
LE Post Whore
6,275 Posts
:+1: on everything said so far. Also make sure you play the one you are going to buy, not one like it, cause there is variance from one guitar to the next.

·
Registered
409 Posts
Rickenbacker !!

·
Registered
1,405 Posts
Typically the Epiphone is foreign made and a higher profit item for the guitar shop. If you're a beginner or hacker, it's really all that you would need.

As far as the Gibson LesPaul, I think you gotta be careful there too. I mean, the quality through the years has really been hit or miss with Gibson. My first guitar was an 82 model and it wasn't until a few years later that I realized it had never been setup properly.

Anywho, best of luck to you!

·
Registered
1,399 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I don't play lead, I'll be playing rhythm on stage and on the album. The electric that I get will be primarily used in the studio to write the electric guitar portions of the songs. I'll write the basslines with it too. I will be using it on stage some, but probably less than half the time.

·
Registered
1,405 Posts
I've never recorded myself, but I'd think if you were doing studio work you would want the very best. I mean, anything less than perfect is going to translate into more studio time, which is going to make the guitar cost seem trivial.

·
Registered
3,583 Posts
I doubt you would notice a difference. To the trained ear...you could argue that the Les Paul has a better tone. But I think it comes down to your own style. Some guys love both the Les Paul and the Strat, and they can't choose between the two styles, so they compromise and get a Paul Reed Smith. Kind of like the best of both. PRS guitars are a lot of cabbage$$$, Not sure I would go that route...but I still say, that if you get yourself a Les Paul Classic, and a Marshall amp, you won't ever want anything else.
Good luck!

·
Registered
2,075 Posts
I've had 2 Les Paul Gibson guitars...with a Koch Twintone you can not beat the sound. I had a Mesa Mark I reissue that played well with both PRS McCarty and Les Paul....
but I'm still a Strat guy mostly....
I would buy the Gibson. You can get a great buy every now and then on a Gold Top Classic and put in the Burstbuckers....sweeeeet.
Just watch the headstock (drops, etc). It's a heartbreaker to see one crack!

·
Registered
177 Posts
There is a difference, everything from electronics to hardware, craftsmanship, fret work and quality of woods used. For what you want to do you could get a epiphone and just get a luthier to set it up for you so it has low action and plays better then the junk factory setup. Or I would recommend a Gibson Les Paul studio, little lighter then the customs but with superior electronics and hardware then the epiphone. Either way you look at things in life you do get what you pay for.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Go with the real deal the Epiphone its a budget guitar that made for people that cant afford a gibson les paul go with the les paul there is a big difference especially in the neck and head stock

·
Registered
956 Posts
This comming from a "strat kinda guy".......

Its all personal taste to be honest. I have owned a few Les Pauls over the yrs that last of which was a Custom Shop Standard. It was by far the best playing L.P. that Ive owned but it was big $. Jade, (the other guitarist in my band) swears by his Gibsons. Me personaly tho, I prefer strat style guitars. A good Gibson is an investment tho, they seem to gain value.
I dont own it anymore but here is my old Custom Shop Standard, in Iguana Burst Green:thumbsup:

Attachments

1 - 17 of 17 Posts