Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

Short background here: used to own a '13, sold & took a few years off. Now about to buy a '16.

The '16 i'm looking at has a Guhl ECU flash. According to Guhl, the autoblipper can be enabled from the tach using the hand controls. I'm assuming that's possible because the sensor on the shift rod senses both push & pull, but the downshift direction is probably disabled from factory in order for Kawi to be able to sell the SE, RR trims, etc....

Does anyone know the procedure to enable the auto-blipper from the hand controls with a Guhl ECU flash?

·
REPOST Enforcement Mod
14,970 Posts
Um, there's a bit of misinformation and not enough information.

You enable the autoblip the same way you enable the quickshifter through the dash settings. But it is only available if the dash is in race mode. So if the dash isn't in race mode, then the option won't even be available. Unless Guhl has a way of enabling that feature to be accessible all the time, then it's the same procedure for up/down to enable it. With the Woolich software, the autoblip is the same way but the option isn't shown without in being in race mode.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Um, there's a bit of misinformation and not enough information.

You enable the autoblip the same way you enable the quickshifter through the dash settings. But it is only available if the dash is in race mode. So if the dash isn't in race mode, then the option won't even be available. Unless Guhl has a way of enabling that feature to be accessible all the time, then it's the same procedure for up/down to enable it. With the Woolich software, the autoblip is the same way but the option isn't shown without in being in race mode.
So once KQS is on, then it should be good to go up & down shift?

·
REPOST Enforcement Mod
14,970 Posts
So once KQS is on, then it should be good to go up & down shift?

No. QS is different than autoblip. One is up, the other is down. Separate functions, turned on and off the same way but separated.

·
Registered
865 Posts
I run race ECU so I don't know for sure but, from what I was told the race mode (where gear number is the main number in the middle and not speed) on the dash is not available on stock ECU. It was available on gen4 but not on gen5 though. Race ECU only has race mode by default. I don't know whether Ghuls/FlashTune make it possible for Stock ECU to show race mode or not. Even then, they both might have a different way of enabling auto-blip, since it's really just a variable change in the code.

·
REPOST Enforcement Mod
14,970 Posts
I run race ECU so I don't know for sure but, from what I was told the race mode (where gear number is the main number in the middle and not speed) on the dash is not available on stock ECU. It was available on gen4 but not on gen5 though. Race ECU only has race mode by default. I don't know whether Ghuls/FlashTune make it possible for Stock ECU to show race mode or not. Even then, they both might have a different way of enabling auto-blip, since it's really just a variable change in the code.

True. The race ECU defaults the dash into race mode. You can't change it back and forth like the Gen 4 could. With the WR kit, the dash will support race mode, but the ECU has to be flashed into race mode and reflashed back. I've run mine for awhile in race mode on the street with the Woolich stuff. Flash it for race mode, flash it back to street mode. You can't switch it any other way on the Gen 5.

The autoblip feature is able to be turned on/off separately while it's in race mode. Street mode disables the indication on the dash. The Woolich autoblip feature is turned on/off through the reflash regardless of the dash mode. But in that mode (street dash with autoblip), there is no way to manually turn it on/off since the indicator and menu option is removed from the dash while in street mode. Autoblip still works fine, you just can't tell looking at the indications.

·
Registered
42 Posts
probably a stupid question... but how does the autoblipper work?
I know with the KQS it just cuts ignition or fuel for a split second so it can upshift without any load, but how does the autoblipper rev match without load? Obviously if you kill the throttle or fuel it wouldn't be able to rev, so how does it rev up the RPMs between gears if it doesn't mess with the clutch?

·
REPOST Enforcement Mod
14,970 Posts
probably a stupid question... but how does the autoblipper work?
I know with the KQS it just cuts ignition or fuel for a split second so it can upshift without any load, but how does the autoblipper rev match without load? Obviously if you kill the throttle or fuel it wouldn't be able to rev, so how does it rev up the RPMs between gears if it doesn't mess with the clutch?

My mama always told me there's no such thing as a stupid question. She lied. :wink:

You know this bike is ride-by-wire, correct? You don't have control of the throttle. When you twist the go-fast grip, you are asking the computer for permission to go faster. If the computer agrees with you it will open the throttle and the bike will go forward. If it doesn't agree with you, then it will only open the throttle as much as it wants to. When you close the throttle grip down and the computer senses that you wanna downshift gears, the computer says "hey, yeah, I can do that for ya but first I gotta blip the throttle a bit like you should've done in the first place dummy". :badteeth:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts