Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Custom Powder Coater
6,560 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
All I read is ecu flashing, has anyone had there bike dyno tuned by him??
Need too find a place soon just looking for feedback.... He's a couple hours away but I'm willing to travel for the expertise,and quality of service.

Anybody???

·
Registered
48 Posts
I just got my ECU back from GUHL. I would definitely recommend getting it done made a huge difference whole new bike! Plus talked to Don Guhl he is really knowledgeable and takes the time to talk things out. Couldn't be happier. He also will make adjustments to your ECU for free if you ever need it. :thumbsup: As far as getting your bike dynoed by him I think he will do it. But you don't need to get it dyno tuned when getting ECU reflashed. I believe he already has all the info he needs for airfilter/slipon/full exhaust without the need for a dyno.

·
Custom Powder Coater
6,560 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I just got my ECU back from GUHL. I would definitely recommend getting it done made a huge difference whole new bike! Plus talked to Don Guhl he is really knowledgeable and takes the time to talk things out. Couldn't be happier. He also will make adjustments to your ECU for free if you ever need it. :thumbsup: As far as getting your bike dynoed by him I think he will do it. But you don't need to get it dyno tuned when getting ECU reflashed. I believe he already has all the info he needs for airfilter/slipon/full exhaust without the need for a dyno.
Gen 2 don't benefit from reflashing is my understanding... So I only need the bike tuned w/pcIII , I understand that I can have the tune done right into the ecu, but I'm not sure I want to go that route as all it will do is eliminate the power commander for 300-400$$

·
Registered
358 Posts
I just had my 2nd gen ecu flashed by don he's a good guy to deal with. When I talk to him about how much hp gain that see he said any where from 6-10hp. You can get more out of the gen3 and gen4 long story short good money spent. I wanted to get tuned but at the time he was backed up but ke2012 got his bike tuned there and it made good power.
Is this a street or strip bike?

·
Registered
193 Posts
I just had mine flashed by Don. It's a Gen III and I saw no gain on HP up top. Bike is slot smoother at lower RPM.

Sent from my Motorcycle iPhone app

·
Custom Powder Coater
6,560 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Guess ill give them a call Monday...

and pm Ke012...

thanks.

·
Registered
874 Posts
I just had my GenIII down by Don for a dyno tune like 2 or 3 weeks ago. I don't have any dyno numbers of my previous set up so I can't say if the flash makes more power or not, but I like the way it rides and I like not having any piggy back modules anymore. Everything is done in the ECU now.

Ok so here is the deal with Guhl and dyno tuning. He really only has the dyno to confirm and test his flashes. He does not normally dyno for the public. His business is actually based off micro sprint cars that use sport bike engines, and so with that knowledge he expanded into bikes to have a larger client base.

He only agreed to dyno my GenIII because he never did one before and didn't have a fuel map to use with his flashes. I kinda feel a little ripped off because I basically paid him to collect information that he can now use to sell in his ECU flashes and make a better product. I don't really care though as I agreed to it before I knew that, and I went there to get a service that I was looking to get and pay for anyway.

So you can call him and ask, but I would bet unless he needs the data, I don't think he'll do it. Logically from a business standpoint it makes sense. From start to finish with set up, runs, tuning, and a test ride and all it took like 3 hours to tune my bike. So 2 guys working for hours with expensive equipment to make $200... Or 1 guy working for 5 min to flash an ECU and make $375... Can't really blame the guy if he has enough work in flashing to keep him busy.

·
Custom Powder Coater
6,560 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks brat.. Yeah I'll call him and see what's up... I have slight mods to the motor so unless he has a tune for what I have done, I don't see how a reflashing would work without a dyno run to check?( as with your bike)

·
Registered
874 Posts
i don't think he really cares to have maps for every little mod people do. He is just happy to have a base map that works for the masses. Pretty much like I had. Filter, full system, block offs, and his standard derestricted ECU. (kinda depressing mod list compared to all the different items I had before and now the ECU replaces it all - PCIII, PC Ign, TRE, Servo elim...)

Basically he relies on people to do their own data logging and then send him that information along with the ECU and then he will write the map. Then you have to install it again and check it and if you need any more changes send it back. Great for those people who really want it all done through the ECU and have no means to get it to a tuner capable of flashing the ECU, but a pain for those of us that have the means to get to Guhl and would rather just pay to have it done in one shot. Before I went with the flash I started doing my own data logging with a Wego and it was just a pain to ride to work or where ever and then download the data, then ride home and download the data. Then I had to transfer that to the fuel module and do it all over again the next day. I liked the idea of doing it all myself, but I just didn't have the time at those points in my day to deal with that. Plus who wants to take their bike out of service for a 1-2 weeks while UPS is transporting your ECU?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts