Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
612 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Would like some new grips. all black... not into any flamer things like flames, bright colors, or pictures of dudes on them. Just looking for high quality comfortable black grips that work great.

thanks

·
Postwhore with an 04
4,387 Posts
I have progrips and like them!

·
Registered
1,929 Posts
My grips have naked half naked dudes on them with gel inserts for the wang region. Your obviously not man enough to handle them but I find them very supportive for my limp wrists on my rides to bike night.

·
La Flama Blanca
7,730 Posts
I run Renthals on both my 10R's, you see them on alot of race bikes, for a reason they are awesome. They come in three compunds, I run the mediums and really like them.

As for instalaion, Just get like a long screwdriver, work it in one end of the stock grip, from there I spray like some 409 or some soapy water in the gap you opened with the screwdriver, work the screwdriver around the bar to break the stock grip free, once a little of the soap gets in there the stock grips twist right off. Installing the new grips, make sure you clean the bars off, get all the soap off, and what I do is take just a small amount of strait water in a spay bottle, spay one squirt on the bar, one squirt in the grip, it will slide on real easy, from there I twist the grip till it starts to get tight, over night or so the grip will tighten up. Racers like to use the grip glue and then take safety wire and permantly install the grip, I never have problems with my grips turning on the bar though.

Heres a link to the renhals.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Renthal-Street-Bike-Grips-Soft-Light-Gray-for-7-8-Bars_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQ_trksidZp3286Q2em20Q2el1116QQitemZ370111269488QQptZMotorcyclesQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
thanks for the info guys: i've decided on the drivens, can you recommend which specific product will fit the 08 10R? Open ended? What is our bar diameter? Thanks

·
Registered
4,118 Posts
#1 on the renthals, i run the soft grey compound on both the rc51 and zx-10r. just replaced them, nothing to it. cut them off with an exacto knife, wiped the clipons down with brake cleaner, then put the glu on the inside of the gripe while turning it, then some on the clipons and just slid her on.

i'd wear dispoable gloves, glue will run out the ends. this way its an easy wipe and not messy, just throw the gloves away.

let dry over night.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Spider grips are not as well known in the street bike community as they are in MX. They are probably the most comfortable on the lower palm area. Renthals are nice but I think they wear fast. Progrips are similar to stock but overall better. I have had success using an air compressor and 1/8 inch stick/trigger style blow gun. Dont use safety wire unless the grips have the channels molded for it.

·
Registered
1,359 Posts
thats how i install mine too. Very easy to do with the help of the air compressor.

My spider grips definitely dont look as good as they did brand new, but they are holding up pretty well with 15,000 miles on them

·
Still here
9,059 Posts
I have had success using an air compressor and 1/8 inch stick/trigger style blow gun.
:+1: Only way to go, sprays/soaps can get wet and become slippery again if you get caught in a bad rain.

Air works for getting them off and on. If you use grip glue, that will usually lube it enough for putting them on but you have to let it dry overnight.

I like to use grip glue -safety wire or not.

Okay so I had a grip come off of a bicycle in mid jump when I was a kid, so I like to be sure they stay on now and don't spin around or move at all.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts