Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,392 Posts
The progress being made with electric powertrains is certainly interesting. I know we are all petrolheads here, but the counterpoint to it is that the horse and buggy age didn't end because we ran out of horses, and the stone age didn't end because we ran out of stones.

·
Registered
447 Posts
130 mph isnt competetive, why would they think that, yay, slow racing. Tree huggers like it though, but this world and technology wasnt built by hugging trees.

·
Registered
373 Posts
tracks are getting shut down over here cause of noise restrictions / complaints.

an electric 'crosser won a race in France - open class.

change is a coming....

·
Registered
447 Posts
they will change, but I dont think it will fully change until they are competetive. Top level will not change until they can progress with electric bikes, like 4 stroke. Manufactures wont stop selling combustion until the top level bikes are electric. Simple supply and demand, they would go out of business if top level is gas, and they are trying to push electric. Customers will only take top performance and they would not buy into electric while the top is gas. I know I wont, when they can make a decent electric bike, not scooter with no clutch and gears (mission one, what a joke) I will get it. It has to make good power, decent range and comparible weight.

·
Registered
447 Posts
not to mention, these green idiots, electricity is made by burning coal, which is dirtier than gas. They need to allow nuclear power to actually make a difference, nuclear is very clean, we have ways of removing radioactive waste, they need to not be scared of acient history with the russians, who are known for not observing rules. A switch to electricity will only cause a higher electricity bill, you put a higher demand on electric with no new production facilities, dont make me laugh by saying "lets make some windmills." Ok power about 2 houses with that, we need to open our minds and use technology to our advantage, not be scared of it. Thats cave man stuff, you would think our brains evolved a little more than that by now.

·
Registered
447 Posts
here we go,

http://www.brammo.com/learn/

"324 LBS and its sealed brushless permanent magnet AC motor puts out 13kW peak power and 40N-m, 29.5m, 29.5 ft-lb of torque)."

ok so its like a ninja 250 (MSRP $4000), oh snap MSRP for this electric bike is $8000.

Typical, double the price and half the performance.

They say "Easy and Exhilarating" lets see, about exhilarating as putting a saddle on a mouse. Easy becuase it has no clutch and gears, this allows yuppies to ride the bike, get ran over (die, thankfully) and raise the insurance rates for everyone else and put a bad face on motorcycling.

·
Registered
447 Posts
Mission One Motors has a good idea, its goes to "150 mph" and has power, but there is a down fall.

"The deposit amount is $5000, and the sales price is $68,995."

Wayyy too expensive, and this "but all the money I save in not buying gas" crap. Lets break this down.

I payed 10k for my 09 10r, that leaves me 58k to work with (lets just forget about the $995).

Gas at about $3 per gallon, 19,333 gallons, now lets do miles, say about 25 mpg (I throttle it a lot).

Thats 483,325 miles, wow! I would have to ride that thing a lot, way more than I want.

Lets keep going, I do ride a lot though, lets say, 15k a year, tahts 32 years of riding like that. By that time the bike should be long gone and dead.

I would calculate the extra cost of the electric bill but I am not really sure how to do that as of yet, but I pay $0.086 per KWH, so add on extra costs to this thing, I know its going to draw more than one KW to charge and take multiple hours, so IF I rode my zx10 for over 32 years, I could justify the initial cost, not to mention as earlier the KWH would raise up, I am expecting, when electric takes off, to pay around $2 per KWH, which just made everything more expensive, cant use light bulbs now, candle power, until they figure out a way to charge me for the CO2 footprint of a candle.

·
Registered
4,818 Posts
not to mention, these green idiots, electricity is made by burning coal, which is dirtier than gas. They need to allow nuclear power to actually make a difference, nuclear is very clean, we have ways of removing radioactive waste, they need to not be scared of acient history with the russians, who are known for not observing rules. A switch to electricity will only cause a higher electricity bill, you put a higher demand on electric with no new production facilities, dont make me laugh by saying "lets make some windmills." Ok power about 2 houses with that, we need to open our minds and use technology to our advantage, not be scared of it. Thats cave man stuff, you would think our brains evolved a little more than that by now.
What? :headshake

You are aware that electricity is available in different ways right? Ever hear of hydro-electric dams? Or the different ways energy is harnessed from the sun? And windmills, tide-machines, underwater energy mills, etc...

Energy is all around you.

·
Registered
447 Posts
What? :headshake

You are aware that electricity is available in different ways right? Ever hear of hydro-electric dams? Or the different ways energy is harnessed from the sun? And windmills, tide-machines, underwater energy mills, etc...

Energy is all around you.
Yeah, but the primary method is coal. That technology hasnt come far enough to produce enough energy. Areas where there arent any water are without, solar panels are not developed enough they lose energy, they also dont work at night.

·
Registered
447 Posts
perhaps the fuel cell will raise the humidity so much we can have never ending attack of hurricanes. Pumping water vapor into the atomsphere will cause all sorts of changes we dont want, but all we care about is getting away from gas ad dirty evil CO2.

Maybe we can kill ourselves off "Under conditions of high humidity, the evaporation of sweat from the skin is decreased and the body's efforts to maintain an acceptable body temperature may be significantly impaired."

·
Registered
4,818 Posts
Yeah, but the primary method is coal. That technology hasnt come far enough to produce enough energy. Areas where there arent any water are without, solar panels are not developed enough they lose energy, they also dont work at night.
Think of it in a smaller model...if one house can be made to be self-sufficient, then you have a model to develop for the masses. The technology is there. You are thinking of a centralized concept using coal, I am talking about many different methods. Getting off the grid, sort-to-speak.

Solar panels are becoming more and more efficient. They also use concentrated light from the sun to heat a central boiler, steam comes to mind...or even using the heated tank as an ignition source for gases. It's all out there right now. Alternative sources for energy are everywhere....have you seen the new air-conditioning systems? They get air from underground plumbing which stays at a constant temperature. Or the simple act of putting a black water heater tank on a roof and encasing it in a box that stops the light energy from escaping, and there you have hot water.

Let's say we can reduce the electrical energy needed by 50% by using alternative methods once only associated with electrical energy, while at the same time improving the efficiency of the current solar panel technology...well there you have a huge lessening of coal technology. Wind, solar, and hydro-electric are all very capable of producing the energy needed. Imagine if the money invested in the current systems was put into these technologies?

Reactions: lowkey420

·
Registered
265 Posts
apples vs oranges

destro, your not being consistent in how your presenting the different tech. your talking about newer technologies and comparing them to highest performance. as tech develops it becomes cheaper, that comparison to the other moto is just silly, think about trying to buy a 160hp 400 lb electronically controlled bike 10 years ago.

and of course other manufacturers wont be building anything thats not performance competitive, but tech will develop, things will change. mandates are made on manufacturers to reduce emissions, either electric power will become easy to use well or it will be mandated into becoming easy to use. doesnt matter either way.

apples to oranges man.

·
Premium Member
4,392 Posts
Keep in mind that although the speed and range are not yet up to a gasoline engine vehicle (you can have speed, or you can have range, but you can't have both), they are both a WHOLE lot better than what electric vehicles were capable of only a few years ago. And recharging times are getting better, too, provided that you have enough current to do it (the limitation is now not the battery, but the source of the electricity).

Within a couple of years, there are going to be all-electric vehicles on the market from the major auto manufacturers. Ford, Nissan, and Renault are already committed. There are also some new manufacturers that have the advantage of not being saddled with old and conventional thinking. Change will take time ... but it will come.

And regarding the source of the electricity ... Electricity has the advantage that it can be made many different ways from many different sources. Right now, the USA relies a lot on coal, but it doesn't have to be that way. Where I live (Canada), nuclear and hydroelectric account for most of it, natural gas is a lot of the rest, coal is being phased out, and wind power is small but increasing.

·
Registered
1,153 Posts
Think of it in a smaller model...if one house can be made to be self-sufficient, then you have a model to develop for the masses. The technology is there. You are thinking of a centralized concept using coal, I am talking about many different methods. Getting off the grid, sort-to-speak.

Solar panels are becoming more and more efficient. They also use concentrated light from the sun to heat a central boiler, steam comes to mind...or even using the heated tank as an ignition source for gases. It's all out there right now. Alternative sources for energy are everywhere....have you seen the new air-conditioning systems? They get air from underground plumbing which stays at a constant temperature. Or the simple act of putting a black water heater tank on a roof and encasing it in a box that stops the light energy from escaping, and there you have hot water.

Let's say we can reduce the electrical energy needed by 50% by using alternative methods once only associated with electrical energy, while at the same time improving the efficiency of the current solar panel technology...well there you have a huge lessening of coal technology. Wind, solar, and hydro-electric are all very capable of producing the energy needed. Imagine if the money invested in the current systems was put into these technologies?
:+1:

SOLAR POWER FTW

i for one believe the future is solar electricity

totally want to go off the grid so when doomsday comes i got my power =)

·
Registered
540 Posts
131mph top speed... no thanks, you can keep that shit. I stick to my gas burning 10 and hit 131 in 3rd gear. I can't even imagine riding a bike that doesnt make noise.

·
Registered
4,818 Posts
I bet on a small track that typical bikes never exceed that 130mph top end this bike would be pretty competitive? :dontknow:

·
Dont mess wit White Ninja
5,932 Posts
For that amount of money I will PASS!!! Good ideal with no market to me...Takes all the fun out of bikes...Like one big battery....pull the throttle and go...

hahahahahhaa

·
Registered
4,818 Posts
Ahh remember the Killacycle video? Now that's a bike I want to try out! Ironic name for a bike too seeing as it almost killed the guy who made it. :mrgreen:

·
Registered
447 Posts
I am still not sold on global warming, 1 volcano put out more CO2 than we ever could in a year. They say, that the Ice age was "possibly" caused by a lack of CO2, could this be becuase they are forced to accept the CO2 global warming? Look up Milankovitch cycles, it the cycles of the sun and earth orbits, imagine they change. I also take note that after global warming was full accepted, what happened, tighter restraints with new taxes and new hefty fines. Why isnt diesel being regulated, oh thats right it fall down to earth, but wait, isnt that polluting our fields on which we grow our food? Oh yeah, its ok, government dosent care about that, its about getting new revnue. More damage would be done attacking the diesel industry since most our infastructure runs on that.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts