Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,413 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Was just glancing through my gen2 service manual, and in the electrical chapter where it explains installing the stick coils, it says 'apply grease to stick coil' Anyone have a clue why and what kind of grease?? Is it for electrical insulation purposes?? And do you coat the whole coil?? :dontknow:

·
Registered
2,823 Posts
You just use a little bit of dielectric grease on the end (inside) of the coil boot. Using some on the boot for ease of sealing the boot to the plug, and getting no voltage leakage, and to seal the end of the boot from moisture and contamination. Its just a good extra measure, however it is not necessary by any means.

·
Registered
1,413 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You just use a little bit of dielectric grease on the end (inside) of the coil boot. Using some on the boot for ease of sealing the boot to the plug, and getting no voltage leakage, and to seal the end of the boot from moisture and contamination. Its just a good extra measure, however it is not necessary by any means.
Ah jus like a plug wire on a car/truck. I see. The manual was very unclear about that...lol!! Thanks! lol:thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,361 Posts
grease provides a moisture barrier and allows for easier removal of tthe coil later. mine were stuck bad in the valve cover first time removed.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts