Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2021 Kawasaki zx10r
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just purchased a full graves exhaust from a friend of mine. Do any of you guys know if I will have to modify the oil cooler bracket to fit the graves headers.

·
The Pace
7,206 Posts
First, if graves made the system for your exact year and model, it will fit. Second, for the g4, graves tech told me on phone that no reason to change out stock header, as Kawa made it perfectly, but must change out can. So...my question for researchers asks if the newer 10r headers are dumbed down below g4 specs, or not. If same, then NO REASON to fool with changing out stock headers, just the can needs the work.

Someone here has probably done the manual year parts comparison to sort the headers.

·
Registered
2021 Kawasaki zx10r
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
First, if graves made the system for your exact year and model, it will fit. Second, for the g4, graves tech told me on phone that no reason to change out stock header, as Kawa made it perfectly, but must change out can. So...my question for researchers asks if the newer 10r headers are dumbed down below g4 specs, or not. If same, then NO REASON to fool with changing out stock headers, just the can needs the work.

Someone here has probably done the manual year parts comparison to sort the headers.
Thanks for the information. I got the headers and can as package deal but don't know if I can use the Graves can with the stock headers. I guess I'll have to play around with it.

·
Registered
488 Posts
Most of the modern bikes especially 2015+ r1 and ZX-10r have titanium alloy headers for the higher model trims. As previously stated they are VERY good from the factory, however. There are flow rate characteristics that attribute to power in different places in the powerband. one oem header might net higher top end, while an aftermarket header nets slightly better mid range/low end. The way the collectors come together, pipe diameter, pipe thickness, and bend radius all have huge impacts on how the bike makes power and where. Power is power, but with modern bikes I personally prefer a beefier mid range especially for track because all the bikes make plenty of top end. We might only be talking 2hp in the midrange, but that's two hp I didn't have before.

I just got a used full titanium arrow system off my buddy for my r1, honestly it prolly weighed an ounce or two more due to it having so many springs on it. But the way the collectors meet and the sharp knife like precision taper where they all come together is where they differ from oem. Oem headers have a shelf like step down where the pipes meet the collector which causes turbulence. Tiny details like this along with the tapering/gradually increasing pipe diameter all the way to the can WILL show marginal gains on a dyno in comparison to oem. Marginal, but there is a difference.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts