Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Guys
Does anyone have a stem mount for their Garmin GPS on an '06?? Or maybe a suggestion on mounting GPS on an '06??:thumbsup:

·
Registered
134 Posts
I used Techmount's Steering Head mount and modified it to a) clear the steering damper b) to keep the mount from rotating in the steering head from vibration.

I purchased the 16mm post mount. The o-rings didn't prevent rotation to my satisfaction, as I didn't want unnoticed rotation to bind on my damper and lock my steering. (That would be baaaaad news).

I modified the post inside the steering head to be like a bicycle's handle bar mount, which when you tighten the mounting bolt, the Techmount is secured more rigid. The o-ring design is okay; if you have the same concern, you may want to experiment with thicker o-rings and use a bit more force to mount it.

This last photo is from Techmount's web site and gives you a clearer picture of what the mount itself is like.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
SnakeByte You think a 17mm might fit tighter so no need to modify to lock in with no unwanted movement??:dontknow:

·
Registered
134 Posts
I don't recall if a 17 mm will fit, I don't think so. The fit was fairly close. But if you have some calipers, you might measure it.

The key to making the stock Techmount stem work is that it has 3 grooves cut for 3 o-rings near the stem top, bottom, and center. The stock o-rings are a good fit, and I would not have a problem with them if I was not conservative about movement next to moving steering parts (ie, a bike without a damper there)

Try your local hardware store, once you get the 16 Techmount and compare the store's selection of o-ring diameters and thicknesses. You may have to put some rubber lube and use a bit of force to get the stem in. If you have a Dremel tool you could even take a sanding drum and tweak the hardware store o-rings until you get just the right fit. You have several options to tinker with if you too, want a tighter-than-stock fit.

·
Registered
49 Posts

Here's the pics of the same mount on my 07. It's basically a universal mount, Ram Brake/Clutch mount.:eek:ccasion1

·
Registered
49 Posts
Yep the part number for the mount is RAM-B-174U and the cradle for my garmin nuvi 205 is RAM-HOL-GA24U. Ram mount has a parts wizard for you to double check your part numbers. http://www.ram-mount.com/Products/MotorcycleMounts/tabid/128/Default.aspx
And pay no attention to the mount description (UNPKD RAM GOLDWING W/2.47DIA. X 2.47X1). It's basically a universal design the only thing specific you need is the cradle for the gps.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts