Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What kind of grip level can I expect from these tire's. I have never used them before. Ofcourse these are going on my track bike. I would never consider using them on the street as they are touted as dot race tires.

·
Registered
2,164 Posts
What kind of grip level can I expect from these tire's. I have never used them before. Ofcourse these are going on my track bike. I would never consider using them on the street as they are touted as dot race tires.
Have you used track specific tires before? You'll be using warmers?

·
Registered
44 Posts
The 211 is a good tire. The new GPA Pro is a much nicer tire. I have logged hundreds of laps on 211. As mentioned they dont do well in the cold (sub 60). They wear very well. As far as grip goes, they are very stiff and give good feedback. You will always know what the tire is doing if you are tuned in.

So, much better grip than you can get with any street tire. Need warmers unless its very hot and even then need a warmup lap. Was the AMA tire for years.

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Have you used track specific tires before? You'll be using warmers?

I have used the SC 2 Pirelli slicks in the past. I will be using warmers for sure. I have been using the Q3's but got a great deal on the 211's.

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The 211 is a good tire. The new GPA Pro is a much nicer tire. I have logged hundreds of laps on 211. As mentioned they dont do well in the cold (sub 60). They wear very well. As far as grip goes, they are very stiff and give good feedback. You will always know what the tire is doing if you are tuned in.

So, much better grip than you can get with any street tire. Need warmers unless its very hot and even then need a warmup lap. Was the AMA tire for years.

Thanks for the feedback. It will be interesting to see the difference after being on Q3's for awhile.

·
Registered
2,164 Posts
I have used the SC 2 Pirelli slicks in the past. I will be using warmers for sure. I have been using the Q3's but got a great deal on the 211's.
Just making sure :thumbsup:

They'll be far better then Q3's without a doubt and along the lines of a slick. Tire life may suffer a bit on a 1000 depending on your setup and riding style.

·
Registered
1,607 Posts
I would be interested to hear what you think of them compared to the Pirelli. For me, the Pirelli has far better grip, but don't last as long, and the Pirelli is also more expensive. I ran Bridgestones most of last year and was pleasantly surprised at how well they performed, along with their price, and they paid contingency. Before that I ran mostly Michelin Power Cups, Power Slicks and Power Rains which I also really liked. Haven't tried the Evos yet. I also have run a lot of Dunlop Ntec slicks (KR448/449) which I really liked.

·
Registered
2,697 Posts
i'm personally a fan of dunlop over most anything else, however i haven't tried the newest michellins yet. it's a much stiffer carcass, psi will be 5-10 lower than your pirelli, definitely needs warmers, or two medium paced outlaps. and if you're thinking they're not good enough, are you running AMA lap times? because thats the same tire they were using and it worked out pretty well for them for awhile. not the best tire but absolutely capable. i've got two sets in my pile of reserves right now actually. also, the front will last damn near forever.

·
Registered
1,524 Posts
It will be a step up from the Q3s. The grip is not quite as good as Pirelli but can be made to work well. Unlike the Pirelli you will generally only have to set pressures once and they take care of themselves. And like most have mentioned not a very good cold weather tire.

·
Registered
1,607 Posts
Oh, and regarding the GPA Pros. I actually have a set of those on my 600 right now. At the last race weekend we were at NCM and it was a cold weekend. I had the Bridgestones on my ZX10 and I had no slips at all. I had a couple of VERY scary moments when I took my 600 out. It felt like I was riding on ice. But again, I wouldn't expect that in warm weather. One other issue I had with the GPA at Hallett at the beginning of the year is my front tire cracked, and it wasn't in cold weather when it happened. Apparently that's common with them and I've heard it's no problem riding on them with the cracks. I did continue to ride it with no issues related to the crack. I didn't like how they felt compared to all the other tires though. Here's a picture I took of the crack at the time I found it early on the first of a 2 day weekend which was the first time I took my brand new ZX10R out (March 22nd, 2015):

That tire might have had 20 laps on it at the time. Again, I know many people do well on them so I don't want to sound like I am bashing them.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts