Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
565 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I own a rental house with another family member and we rented it out to a family a few years back. Because we wanted to help them out and let them get a good start at their new place, we decided to give them the first month free and no security deposit. (650.00 per month which is cheap. after 2 years raised to 800.00) for a 3 bed two bath with garage and fenced yard. And the house was freshly remodeled up and down!

Well we had to kick them out after not paying the rent or water bill and ect for a few months. We went in the house and it was flea infested and reaked of the scent of piss and shit and tore the house all to hell causing 13k or so in damages. We took pictures before and after, kept receipts of everything. After winning in court she now had to pay the 13k plus that was spent on the house not including some random stuff we just decided to eat in cost. Well, she filed bankruptcy and we were on the list of people she owed and now she does not have to pay. So if you do the math we made nothing off the house for quite some time. (luckily morgage is paid)

Later...

Now we have a new tenant who is 21 with a child. The government assitance program (section 8) pays all of her rent but 100.00 dollars so we are garunteed most of the payment. She does not work or go to school so I have no idea what she does all day. All she has to pay is 100.00 dollars to us and she is ALWAYS late. And now she is blowing up the phone saying that she wants us to tell housing authority that we raised the rent, this way she will not have to pay anything at all. lol absolutely amazing.

I find it crazy how someone like this is will get government assistance, in my eyes shes being rewarded for having a child at a young age and doing nothing at all and taking full advantage. And I know someone who actually NEEDS assistance but she "makes too much" and after she did the math it would be cheaper for her to stay home and get gov't assistance than go to work. (based on gas to get there, time spent and ect). I am sure not all people milk the gov't like this case but heres two systems that have failed at least for me in this situation
Any opinions?

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
Horse shit .

·
Supercharged Mod
4,391 Posts
Landlord and tenant laws are severely biased towards the tenant. Renting out a house that I don't also live in, is something I would never do. Too much risk.

(I've rented out a room in the house in the past but only while I still live there and only to people that I know; can't be bothered any more.)

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
Raise the rent to the point where you won't get low life's living in it.
Sucks that people abuse the system, but it gets their votes to the right people and continues the cycle that pushes our country closer and closer to the drain.
Oh well, America isn't going to improve for a long, long, long time.
Polotics really do ruin everything.....

·
Registered
2,653 Posts
That sucks! And I know what you mean when people that actually need assistance get fucked over!...
When I was 21, I worked full time, went to school almost full time at night, and had a young daughter, yet I couldn't get food stamps because I "made too much" which was bullshit!!! I went to the welfare office, they said sorry, yet they were more than willing to help out all the illiegals and strung out drug addicts who were just trying to milk the system, while a hard working young family guy didn't who was striving to better his life didn't get shit! Sorry bout my rant, but it really upset me! Luckily I just worked my ass off through the struggle and im in a great place now!

·
Registered
144 Posts
So I own a rental house with another family member and we rented it out to a family a few years back. Because we wanted to help them out and let them get a good start at their new place, we decided to give them the first month free and no security deposit. (650.00 per month which is cheap. after 2 years raised to 800.00) for a 3 bed two bath with garage and fenced yard. And the house was freshly remodeled up and down!

Well we had to kick them out after not paying the rent or water bill and ect for a few months. We went in the house and it was flea infested and reaked of the scent of piss and shit and tore the house all to hell causing 13k or so in damages. We took pictures before and after, kept receipts of everything. After winning in court she now had to pay the 13k plus that was spent on the house not including some random stuff we just decided to eat in cost. Well, she filed bankruptcy and we were on the list of people she owed and now she does not have to pay. So if you do the math we made nothing off the house for quite some time. (luckily morgage is paid)

Later...

Now we have a new tenant who is 21 with a child. The government assitance program (section 8) pays all of her rent but 100.00 dollars so we are garunteed most of the payment. She does not work or go to school so I have no idea what she does all day. All she has to pay is 100.00 dollars to us and she is ALWAYS late. And now she is blowing up the phone saying that she wants us to tell housing authority that we raised the rent, this way she will not have to pay anything at all. lol absolutely amazing.

I find it crazy how someone like this is will get government assistance, in my eyes shes being rewarded for having a child at a young age and doing nothing at all and taking full advantage. And I know someone who actually NEEDS assistance but she "makes too much" and after she did the math it would be cheaper for her to stay home and get gov't assistance than go to work. (based on gas to get there, time spent and ect). I am sure not all people milk the gov't like this case but heres two systems that have failed at least for me in this situation
Any opinions?
But can't you claim the $14k as loss on your taxes? She filed bankruptcy, which is granted by a judge. Therefore, it is a legit loss that you can prove.

Sent from my iPhone using Motorcycle

·
Registered
654 Posts
But can't you claim the $14k as loss on your taxes? She filed bankruptcy, which is granted by a judge. Therefore, it is a legit loss that you can prove.

Sent from my iPhone using Motorcycle

Good point!!!

I agree with some other comments on here. My sister screwed up when she was younger, and had to rely on gov't assistance for a little bit. She hated being on it, so as soon as the baby was born she tried to go back to work. She was basically told that all of her assistance would be gone because she made about 10.00/hr !!!!!

So I had her move in with me so she could work and feel proud about getting off of gov't assistance.

The way things are set up it gives incentives to STAY on assistance rather than getting OFF of it.

I don't think anyone objects to the truly needy getting help to get back on their feet, but some people are worthless at everything EXCEPT knowing how to fill out government forms correctly.

·
Bloo Moderator
23,742 Posts
I don't think anyone objects to the truly needy getting help to get back on their feet, but some people are worthless at everything EXCEPT knowing how to fill out government forms correctly.
:+1:I have a neighbor I know couldn't afford the house unless they were on Government assistance. The Mom is healthy as a horse could hold a conversation but all she would do is drink in the back yard all day, then all of a sudden her brother(street bum), mother(for awhile) and sons(teenage and of age) are there at times but she is gone. I finally got a chance to ask one of the sons what happened to your mom it turned out she got into an accident DUI and is locked up for a year....also the sons have some serious :weed::weed::weed: plants growing in the back yard......real shame I go to work everyday and some get to drink and grow weed all day on my dime too. :badteeth::dontknow:

bloo

·
Bloo Moderator
23,742 Posts
Drop that dime. :heyyou:

People need to get more involved. If it's not reported, no outrage shown, it will continue. Bitching on the mc forum changes nothing.
Not sure if your refering to the OP or me but if me you assume wrong :heyyou:

The problem is it's easy for them to get assistance but it's hard at least I found to report fraud or if reported it seems no one cares at the government level to take action unless they have to. For example the only reporting website I found I filled out a complaint form even sent pictures of the property....no response....the owner won't return my phone calls either.

Than 2 days ago the AT&T guy came to hook up my bundle package but needed access to the phone box next door, he seen the 5ft high plants and said AT&T just tells them to mind their business like maybe I should it doesn't seem to help with any of the actions I taken so far. :dontknow:

And for the record I don't mind bitching on THIS MC forum sometimes members have better answers or may be able to help as they might have been is a similiar situation. :wink:

·
MIA Post Whore
8,727 Posts

And for the record I don't mind bitching on THIS MC forum sometimes members have better answers or may be able to help as they might have been is a similiar situation. :wink:
Neither...I was speaking in general. But... even though I could care less about people having a smoke, it is still illegal. Calling the cops on the plants in the back yard might get the POS neighbors out of there.

Not saying it's anyone here that just bitches about it, but in general people don't want to get involved. Hell, these days more people "know" people on forums than their own neighbors. It's a break down of society and part of the reason the country is in the stste it is.

sorry for the soap box...but the thread did say politics. :helmet:

·
Registered
565 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
All of these comments are great. Yeah tenant laws are a bit out of control, I think that they should be protected in a way but not babied.

I feel you with the school thing Nashville, I could not even qualify for a scholarship. I work full time and go to school. It keeps me very very busy in the fall and spring. But for saying my father passed away on my 9th birthday and I had a single mother who did a damn good job of trying to do it all and gave me a great upbringing alone. I played sports got ok grades and was an awarded art student and top artist in the county I did not qualify for anything! aparently I am not poor or filthy rich which is who usually gets scholarsips in my eyes. Middle class is taking a beating. I understand some people may really NEED it but theres plenty of people who do not. Someone should not be rewarded for sitting on their ass all day and being lazy when we got people busting their ass to make ends meet.

Another thing that drives me nuts as an MC salesman is when I have people who come in here and put "unemployment" or "disability" under the EMPLOYMENT for a financing application. Ok, I can MAYBE see a scooter or even a car (to get to work and back ect). But when you try to get a quad or dirt bike and you are not doing shit all day or claiming that you are SO hurt that you cannot work you should not be buying an expensive, dangerous luxury toy. I wonder if they realize that doing this is just insulting to everyone working and paying taxes.

·
Registered
565 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Neither...I was speaking in general. But... even though I could care less about people having a smoke, it is still illegal. Calling the cops on the plants in the back yard might get the POS neighbors out of there.

Not saying it's anyone here that just bitches about it, but in general people don't want to get involved. Hell, these days more people "know" people on forums than their own neighbors. It's a break down of society and part of the reason the country is in the stste it is.

sorry for the soap box...but the thread did say politics. :helmet:
Yeah, IDK if I would report it either. You own a MC that can easily be stolen/ knocked over and I'm sure other things that can be messed with and it really would not be the harassment. They will most likely get early release or bail and retaliate. And people will say "well you have insurance ect" but really do you want to have to go through all that shit because dumbass down the block is growing plants?

·
REPOST Enforcement Mod
13,793 Posts
Another thing that drives me nuts as an MC salesman is when I have people who come in here and put "unemployment" or "disability" under the EMPLOYMENT for a financing application. Ok, I can MAYBE see a scooter or even a car (to get to work and back ect). But when you try to get a quad or dirt bike and you are not doing shit all day or claiming that you are SO hurt that you cannot work you should not be buying an expensive, dangerous luxury toy. I wonder if they realize that doing this is just insulting to everyone working and paying taxes.
No shit?!?!? That really happens, huh? I'd be a horrible salesman cause I'd tear that application up right in front of their face and tell them to go find a job instead of negotiating for a dirtbike or something on unemployment. Infuriating.

Sorry about your tenant issues as well. Especially hard situation when you're dealing with family members. hope it works out for you.

·
Registered
565 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Yeah it happens. And they NEVER get approved, shit I have people who attempt to apply with no job straight up. You have to have alot of patience, and you might as well plan on hating suzuki too because thats what 90% of the fucktards out there want. lol but thats another subject...

·
Registered
144 Posts

The problem is it's easy for them to get assistance but it's hard at least I found to report fraud or if reported it seems no one cares at the government level to take action unless they have to.
:+1: Your completely right. Fraud is too hard to prove. Also, as long as they meet the requirements - being worthless - they can just sit there and collect section 8 for the rest of their lives. It's the Govt's way of keeping the economy moving. The poor people control the economy. They spend all their money trying to appear to be wealthy, or on dumb sh*t that will be worthless with 2 months. :headshake

·
Registered
390 Posts
Its great to see that my opinion is represented well by these statements. Here's another story: my neighbors both teachers, husband and wife work for the school system here in Florida. He has a Masters, she a bachelor. He is the Union representative for the local elementary school here. He drives a Cadillac Deville, she a brand new Hyundai that they got when they signed up for the Gov. Cash for Clunkers Program. After putting in a new pool and fence they decided to have a 2nd child. They were receiving gov. aid and WIC program for formula and diapers. When the housing market sank, they let the house go back to the bank because they simply didnt want to pay the mortgage although they could afford it and signed the agreement to pay it. They then bought a forclosed home 6 houses down the street that was 1/2 the price because the market had collapsed...... Thats amazing. The gov. has no accountability programs to find where and to whom this money should legitimately go to. I was kicked out at 17, after graduating the top 5% of my class. Worked my way through college and University of FL with no assistance, just loans I now pay back. I work 2 jobs and see myself as privileged to have such opportunity, But it makes me exceedingly angry when the gov. takes thousands from my wallet and gives it to those who either dont legitimately need it or to those who do absolutely nothing to even try. Our gov. is a fiscal disgrace, and we are their slaves - providing the $ they use so they can gather votes and stay in power. AND WHY AGAIN IS AMERICA 16 TRILLION IN DEBT. I wonder? :headshake

·
Of course you are faster
2,062 Posts
my:2cents:

Right coast, I know it's hard, but do not take it personally, yes, tried to help, got screwed... their jerkyness says nothing about who you are, chin up, keep the faith... continue to believe in your fellow man... yes there will be more that will shake that faith

1. be sure to take it as a loss on your taxes, find a good CPA and find out if it can be taken over several years as you most likely do not pay $14k in taxes in one year.

2. insure your properly from this point foreward and include that cost in the rent... Rental property WILL GET DAMMAGED, do not repair it back to what you would have in your house. Get it repaired to code and be prepaired to repaire it back to that point over and over again.

Bigger picture

Blu and coonazz... understand that what we consider success (poeple free, paying for themselves, doing what they want and being responsibile for themselves) is not necessarly what government or politicians use as a metric for success... perhaps what they consider "successful" is to increase the number of people they "help" IE more people using the services they are "giving"... more assistance, more dependency, more turn to government for help in everything, less personal responsibility... any government that can give someone anything, must first take away everything.

people talk about the blue getting more blue and the red getting more red, the "takers" want more, and the "Payers" are sick and tired of it and refuse to pay more.

I don't know how it will turn out, but I suspect my children will see it. And I'm going to keep reloading

people talk about hyper inflation and owning gold... I believe the currency after gold....

.... is ammunition.

·
Registered
565 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
my:2cents:

Right coast, I know it's hard, but do not take it personally, yes, tried to help, got screwed... their jerkyness says nothing about who you are, chin up, keep the faith... continue to believe in your fellow man... yes there will be more that will shake that faith

1. be sure to take it as a loss on your taxes, find a good CPA and find out if it can be taken over several years as you most likely do not pay $14k in taxes in one year.

2. insure your properly from this point foreward and include that cost in the rent... Rental property WILL GET DAMMAGED, do not repair it back to what you would have in your house. Get it repaired to code and be prepaired to repaire it back to that point over and over again.

Oh yes, I know there will always be misc damage but at the same time it was just downright rude and careless what they did. The molding on EVERYTHING was torn up, flea infested, holes all over the yard and peices of the fence tore down, they had 5 dogs and a few cats (which was not allowed on the lease), The floors were absolutely thrashed and piss soaked, there was holes in the walls and doors, the stove was disgusting which was also new, the bathrooms are a whole nother story. We were straight up taken full advantage of. I'm just ashamed that my grandfather built this house and I kept it up nice to come see that. And to add insult to injury they did not pay rent for a bit... But we all take a loss someday guess its just business.:dontknow:

I have before and after pics I could possibly post. You can literally see the nasty ass floor a dark color and a light color where the bed was for years.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts