Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
2,970 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so this past Sunday I wasn't able to get any of my friends to go ride with the state fair going on and all so i geared up and headed out. I took my usual ride through some twisties then along the river to a nice look out where I take a breather to stretch my legs. I actually took a very moderate pace havng no one around to really enjoy the day. On the way back I got caught behind an old lady doing 10 under, there were a few harleys ahead of her so when it was safe I went around and passed them all. I had tucked down not because of my speed but it was a bit chilly and I'd beenon the rode for nearly 4 hours. After I passed them I unfortunatly never slowed down, I looked to my left and saw a maroon, RUSTY, crown vic, saw the cop stuffon the car and looked at my speedo, 96!!!!, awww crap!!! I imediatly pulled over as I saw him starting to pursue, had my bike off, helmet off and license and registration inhabd before he even pulled up. He was very nice, but said at that speed there would be a citation, he gave me 94 in a 55, 39 over the limit, it's a$358 fine and 15 day mandatory suspension of license. I was completely at fault and take total responsibility for my actions, I haven't had a ticket in 7 years so it won't really affect it but I need my license for work. Should I take the day off and go to court or am I just screwed and should accept what's coming? It's funny, the cop was very friendly and treated me with respect, as did I him, but it was my buddy who tore me a new one for not running of all things (can anyone guess what he rides LOL). I know it's a bad one and I know I could have gotten away but what if I hurt somebody or myself or got caught, a felony is not worth the risk to me. Just needed to share my story and let everyone know it's not that bad to pull over, if we're going to ride we're going to speed, I was stupid and speeding in a spot I really didn't even mean to but we all know 90 don't feel like 90. Anyways good luck and be safe, and if anyone has some insight as to what I should do about the license thing I'd really apprecate it. Thank you

·
Cross-Eyed Cat
339 Posts
Drive really careful for those 15 days...take your medicine!

·
Registered
41 Posts
If you have had a clean record for 7 years I would go to court. Chances are pretty likely the DA will lower the ticket to a much more acceptable infraction. I just had a 25 over in Denver and the DA dropped it to an improper turn and the judge cut my fine in half all because I had a clean record for 5 years. Good luck.

·
Registered
969 Posts
take the day off and fight it not to try to get out of the ticket but at least to get it knocked down a bit. Also u won't get as many points on your license... just my .02

·
Registered
2,970 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Drive really careful for those 15 days...take your medicine!
:crackup:doctors can't seem to find the proper dose.

Thanks guys, I think you're right, I'm gonna go to court, not to drop the ticket, I was at fault but to keep my license and hopefully save a buck I'd two.

·
Registered
463 Posts
wow. this is a rare post when someone actualy takes responsibility for their actions. Nice Job!! I've been there too. Actually much of this board has been there.

to your question. depends upon what you do for a living. If you drive I would hire an attorney and have hiim represent you. My gf is an attorney and from all the stories I'veheard i would go this route -if I was a driver. You dont have to be at court - just your attorney.

if you drive casually for work I would probably let it go. By casually I mean you transport yourself to a job site a few times month.

·
FEELING LUCKY, PUNK ?
5,739 Posts
I would not risk getting pulled over with a suspended license.
You've already taken responsibility of your actions, why not keep it safe ?

·
Registered
2,970 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I would not risk getting pulled over with a suspended license.
You've already taken responsibility of your actions, why not keep it safe ?
No, I will definetly not do that but I'm a custom a/v installer with sometimes multiple jobsites in one day so I really cannot be without a license so I guess to court I go. My court dates not till October 20 so Ill have time to speak with a lawyer and get this hopefully knocked down a bit. Thanks for all the input everyone.

·
Beginner w/29k miles :o)
3,008 Posts
getting pulled over sucks! but i will NOT run! i have no need to. but i say as some of the others go to court to possibly lower the fee and keep your license.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I turned onto a 15 mile straight road and was crusing along at about 60 for 5 miles, i got stuck behind this truck with a giant piece of sheet metal bouncing up and down on his tailgate so I shot up and around him loooked in my side mirror and this cop flies out of nowhere, i pulled over and he seems cool admiring my bike takes my liscence and registration runs it and comes back tells me i have a clean driving record( which I do) and procedes to hand me an 89 in a 55 speeding ticket. I tried to explain I was taking myself out of harms way and he said there was no excuse for driving that fast not even passing someone. Needless to say im off to court to fight my first speeding ticket in 6 years. I feel your pain. ( my first ticket on my bike)

·
Registered
1,836 Posts
plead not guilty and fight it. DA will plea bargain to a much lower point. I got pulled over 82 in a 55 - six points. Plead not guilty, got a letter to call the assistant DA and they tried to plea bargain it down to a 72 in a 55 - four points. I declined and went to my pre-trial date with the DA. They plead it down to a failure to follow a traffic device - two points and I accepted.

·
Where'd the boobs go?
2,655 Posts
FTP!!! Nah...always fight the ticket...you get more time to prepare for possible ramifications and you might not get the full fine and suspension...Take the advice from a guy who has more than 25 tickets on his record for superbikes only...I only ride on the track and a private runway for wheelies...don't like the po po's and don't like the fact that I've spent more than $12,000 on tickets in my lifetime!!!

·
Registered
1,264 Posts
In Los Angeles Superior Court, if the officer fails to show (for whatever reason: illness, injured status, vacation, in another court, etc), then 'The People' do not have their 'witness' for the violation (in other words the officer) and therefore the violation is dismissed. Simple as that.

Will that apply to your court's jurisdiction? Find out.. "And knowing's half the battle!"

·
Registered
4,818 Posts
I recently got a ticket for 30 over. Because I have been a good boy for years, they dropped it down to 20-24 over. It is worth it to see what they will offer you...if they don't offer a good deal to you then go to court. Just my .02

·
PostWhore
13,496 Posts
You did the right thing for sure, and I commend you for it. :thumbsup:

Ive been stopped speeding 4 times, and only got a ticket once. Usually make sure I mention that my wife works in the PD (warrent clerk actually), and then strike up a conversation with the officer, and things usually go better than I expect. The 1 time I got a ticket I didnt mention it to the officer until it was too late, and he said "I wish you had told me that before".... So I learned my lesson, lol.

Told one officer as he was writing up the ticket, and he scratched it all out, and wrote WARNING instead....SWEEEEET!

That one ticket i did get was a 78 in a 45. Took advise from the wife, since she deals with it everyday, and went to court. Asked the prosecutor to lower it to reckless driving i think, (it been awhile), and he did. $75 fine.

My wife says "So many people just come in there and pay it, when the should come to court"

·
Dont mess wit White Ninja
5,932 Posts
All I can say is I'm wondering why you didn't go to jail with a it being 30+ over. Down here 30+ over they most likely will take you jail and impound your bike, or at least give you a written arrest!! You got lucky in that sense of things

·
Registered
540 Posts
you should check your state laws. In california, if the cop doesnt show the ticket is dismissed.

I got pulled over on the freeway by a motorcycle cop going 127mph. I stopped and handed him my license. After about a ten minute lecture on why I should not be riding that fast he said "don't let me catch you doing that again" and let me go... I thought my bike was going to get impounded for sure but I got lucky.

When I saw him behind me and looked at my speedo Im not going to lie, I thought about taking off but he was on a bike too so then I realized that was a bad idea. A speeding ticket is better than jail time...... but it's still nice knowing that you can getaway if you were crazy enough to do it. hehe. not for me though, I have a family, good job, too much to lose for some dumb shit.

·
Dont mess wit White Ninja
5,932 Posts
Right there with you man, I learned my lesson one time getting pulled over by a motorcycle officer etc. I have way to much to lose, I would take a ticket over jail time any days...

·
Registered
3 Posts
One thing - it strikes me that a lot of you guys over the pond (I'm in the UK) talk about running from the cops as if its a daily thing - but surely if they have your licence plate number they have you regardless?

For what it's worth - if I was doing a silly speed and was sure they didn't have my licence plate, I'd probably keep it nailed!

1 - 20 of 36 Posts