Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
La Flama Blanca
7,720 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Long story short, my bud Craig calls me up and says lets go for a ride today, I said cool lets meet up at McD's and go from there, now Craig for the longest time rode a primered out F4I that had been through several owners and wrecks, well to my suprise a couple of weeks ago I see him at the base gas pumps on a tricked out Ducati 996 S model with Termelogini Exhast and all kinds of carbon goodies, including a carbon MV4 tail, sweet bike that you won't see anything like around these parts so I could not resist a ride. We rode for proably 150 miles had a great time, I have to say the sounds comming from the Duc were mesmerising, very sweet, we did a series of 2nd gear roll ons with the results being like you would expect, but that bike held its own through the twisties. We stopped for gas and he offered up the Duc for a ride, I have to say It felt very nice riding a bike that fine, the sound and feel was just amazing, not near as smooth as the 10R and it felt like it could have used a gear in between its first and second, but It was deffinatly a cool ride and I can see were all the hype comes from. It felt very narrow and seemed to fall in and out of the corners very nice, gobs of torque coming out of the corners as well, he has the GP shift pattern on it, which I was not used to, but i could see how you could get used to that as well. All in all I could see where the Ducati could reel me in very easy, if that bike being that old was that good, I could only imagine what a 1098 must be like.

Oh and by the way, the first time in anger on the 04 had mixed results, power was awesome, turn in is great, front end seemed to push a little, whoa headshake, turn the damper up. ( the duc dissapeared in my mirrors on the straits, I mean gone!)

Now the bad, Gilles chain adjusters loosend up on me, causing chain to become dangerously loose, tail section flopped around like a hoopty bike, shot flames out of the exhaust with regularity and that god damn oil pan leak was reallly getting things dirty on the long ride, if the damn dealer does not take care of this issue I am going to be one unhappy camper, I just want the damn leak stopped!

·
Registered
1,279 Posts
The Duc's are really nice bikes. I had a 748S before but had mixed opinions. They look and sound amazing. Come on it's a Duc right? Great off the line power and great power pulling through turns. But really no where near any Jap bike in a straight line. My complaints about the Duc was one Maintenance. Cam belts ever
6K beyond expensive. And don't even think about going done. New OEM parts take forever to get and cost an arm and a leg. The other problem I had was I'm a bit taller at 6'1 and the bike feels way to narrow. I had my 748 for almost 2 years and 12k miles and never really got used to it. But that's just my opinion.

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
I rode the 1098S recently and was more than impressed. While not as fast as the Z, it would definitely have no problems keeping up in the twisties. I'll wait until the R model comes out, but I think I'll be adding one to the stable.

·
Registered
2,976 Posts
A couple friends had 996's back in 2000 I think. I didn't care for them when we switched bikes for some reason. I've never got the chance to try a Duc on the track where they are supposed to shine so who knows. I was thinking of selling my RC and finding one of the newer all black models but I gotta admit the new 1098 sounds like it might be more than just a poser's toy like past Ducs have been. And 15k isn't really that much more than the new Japanese literbikes.

·
Registered
2,976 Posts
One of my friends just bought a 1098. Nice bike for sure. We did a rollon in 6th gear at 80 mph and I pulled 10 to 12 bikes on him by 155 mph. He let off at that. I do weigh 155 and he comes in at 240 so there was some help. I have to agree on the sound. Its great!
...not surprising. Even if the riders were closer in weight the outcome would probably be similar. Even though the 1098 is closer to the Japanese bikes than past Ducs, straightline stuff is still not it's "thing".

·
Registered
4,118 Posts
well, the 1098S has my eye and could be "one" of the presents i buy myself when i get back home. I'd like a slightly used 07 if the issues have been fixed or a good deal on a 08.

·
Bloo Moderator
23,742 Posts
...not surprising. Even if the riders were closer in weight the outcome would probably be similar. Even though the 1098 is closer to the Japanese bikes than past Ducs, straightline stuff is still not it's "thing".
Not really, first of all a 6th gear roll-on :headshake ..second an 85lb weight difference will have a different outcome as well as much as a 10hp+ advantage. To many other factors but I bet that 1098 will be right there with the 10R with equal riders and weight in a different roll-on test.:wink:

·
Registered
4,118 Posts
from the latest cycle world, the duc did 9 something at 145 through the 1/4 so thats not to damn shabby!

either way, the new 1098 is a beaut!

·
Registered
1,830 Posts
The 1098 is one very nice bike, sales figures for OZ for the months of jan-apr 07 have just been released, as you can see the Duke has done well considering it has only been available for 2 of these months from mermory and the 10r has been at a cheaper price for a couple of these months at some dealers. :eyecrazy:

Model 2007 Jan/Feb/Mar/Apr
Honda CBR100RR 386
Honda CBR600RR 382
Yamaha YZF-R1 298
Suzuki GSX-R1000 249
Yamaha YZF-R6 216
Suzuki GSX-R750 178
Suzuki GSX-R600 162
Ducati 1098 152
Kawasaki ZX-14 135
Kawasaki ZX-10R 126

·
Bloo Moderator
23,742 Posts
The 1098 is one very nice bike, sales figures for OZ for the months of jan-apr 07 have just been released, as you can see the Duke has done well considering it has only been available for 2 of these months from mermory and the 10r has been at a cheaper price for a couple of these months at some dealers. :eyecrazy:

Model 2007 Jan/Feb/Mar/Apr
Honda CBR100RR 386
Honda CBR600RR 382
Yamaha YZF-R1 298
Suzuki GSX-R1000 249
Yamaha YZF-R6 216
Suzuki GSX-R750 178
Suzuki GSX-R600 162
Ducati 1098 152
Kawasaki ZX-14 135
Kawasaki ZX-10R 126
Not a true representation of the rest of the world or should I say from the manufactures against another in their sales...for example ZX6 is Kawi's best selling sport bike and that's why the get the best support in the racing world and comercials...it's not even on your list but the 10r is.:badteeth:

·
Registered
1,830 Posts
My list is not of my own work but stats from Federal Chamber of Automotive Industries (Aust), the 6r may have been just below the other Kawa's for all I know :dontknow:
And yep your right what sells here is not necessarily reflective of what sells in other parts of the world in regards to sales numbers and order.

·
Registered
746 Posts
I don't know why, but the 1098 leaves me with a feeling of deja vu. Like something Triumph or Yamaha did before. It doesn't seem to break any new ground like the 916 did, looks wise. Just doesn't excite me.

·
Registered
840 Posts
When I was at Putnam over Memorial Day weekend a Tricolore version of the 1098s came by to visit a friend who was at the trackday on his 999. The 1098 is gorgeous ans in that paint scheme even more so. Sounded good too. If I was going to buy another sportbike right now that would be it, base 1098 that is.

·
Registered
657 Posts
I don't know why, but the 1098 leaves me with a feeling of deja vu. Like something Triumph or Yamaha did before. It doesn't seem to break any new ground like the 916 did, looks wise. Just doesn't excite me.
that's because it looks identical to the triumph daytona 675. they even have the same headlights for crying out loud!

·
La Flama Blanca
7,720 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
that's because it looks identical to the triumph daytona 675. they even have the same headlights for crying out loud!

WHy Triumph Doesnt build a liter class bike baffles me, the job they did with th 675, using the same apprach on a liter bike would be nice!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts