Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i just got rid of my 05 zzr600 and now own an 05 zx10 with 6k miles
the bike is currently stretched, lowered, and set up for the strip from what the guy i got it from said. he included a factory swingarm with it and another set of wheels, all the bike does at the moment is spin when i get into it, could this be the fact that its lowered and stretched and just not getting the weight transfer or do these bikes just have that much get up and go? ive riddin my friends 04 cbr1000rr with a few mods and it doesnt spin or seem to have the getup like the zx10 does... should i invest in new tires? and if so what should i look in to? im going to put the factory non stretched swingarm on it and want some grip and havent ever bought tires for either bike personally since my zzr came with new ones on it.

sorry if im rambling i just dont like spamming forums with 10 different posts for 10 different questions when i can just ask them all in one post.

on another note, i love this forum... ive only read a couple threads but they were helpful

thanks for any info guys

o and the swingarm has a 6-12" stretch and is about 2-3" from being maxed out and it has factory sprockets on it.

thanks again,
Kirk:eek:ccasion1

·
Registered
411 Posts
yeah i haven't been here REAL long myself... and nearly everyday i'm still hitting up that 'search' function, and finding great tips and how-to's on the zx10. there are some ninja geniuses around here (clearly i'm not one, cos i don't think i spelt geniuses right, and if i did, there you have it again :p)

:welcome:

oh & p.s even though you've been on your 6 for a while, i'd still suggest setting ur 10r up stock at least for the first few months, then change mods etc. 1 at a time, so you can get a feel for the difference/advantages etc.

& just to be careful/safe - as u get used to the heman-like power of the 10r ;)

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thats part of the reason i havent put the factory swingarm on yet, i dont like the stretch because i like the backroads but im also use to being able to give the zzr hell and not having to worry about it coming up on me much unless i wanted it to, im thinking about looking for a nice dual compound tire since i put about 360 miles a week on anything i own going from owensboro, ky to evansville, indiana

this is more of a winter project since ive only got about a month give or take a little riding time left this year.

id like to find a decently sticky tire but im willing to sacrifice that a little bit since id like to get about 3500 miles outa one

i wouldnt go to the extent of saying im "scared" of this bike, but im just not as comfortable on it yet as i was on my zzr... goin from a carburated 600 to a fuel injected 1000 was quite a change lol
makes me a little bit nervous sometimes

·
Dont mess wit White Ninja
5,932 Posts
Best tip for you is respect the machine your riding cause its a beast!! But other then that welcome to the site and your going to raise it back up I'm guessing right. Really a lot comes into play with the geometry of the bike when its dropped. You more the less can kiss those back roads good bye...But if anything yes the search function will help to a degree cause there's millions of threads on anything and everything. But enjoy the new 10 while you can before winter sets in and just learn the bike before you really go crazy on it!!

Respect is number one, or a better word is baby it while you learn how the bike handles and goes to the gears etc. Everyone got butterflies there first time on a 1000 but just don't get to comfortable cause that's when you will wreck that bike LOL...My father once told me a good rider is a rider that can put his ego aside and want to learn so if anything learn away!!!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
yea, its getting raised back up when i swap out to the factory swingarm again, i might wait until it starts to warm up again before i do that... ive got a buddy in town with an '06 10 and i love how it sounds, im going to do some research and see if there is a way to get the dual exhaust on an '05, and if there is thats more than likely one of the few mods ill do to it, its just got a gutted stock pipe on it now for some reason, kinda an eyesore when you look at the bike lol

its 3 am. here and i just realized ive been trollin the site for about 4 hours now so ima hit the sack

cya

Kirk

·
Registered
411 Posts
I work at night so I'm always on here late Ha Ha...
I always wondered why you would reply so quick on threads I was reading/posting... nearly opposite time-zones 'n all... :smile:

this is more of a winter project since ive only got about a month give or take a little riding time left this year.
haha... I love where I live... good riding all year round. :thumbsup:

·
The Movie Goer!
6,853 Posts
Get some pilot power 2ct's, they last long and have excellent traction!:thumbsup:

·
Dont mess wit White Ninja
5,932 Posts
pilot power 2ct's last long really, last set on the street I got 1900 miles out of them and they were bald LOL

·
The Movie Goer!
6,853 Posts
I can't speak for anyone else but yea mine last long. I put my set on in Aug. of '07 with about 6800 miles on my bike, got a nail in the rear in Oct. '07 replaced that with a brand new one and been rockin an rollin ever since. And still have the same tires on now Oct. '09 with 13,900 miles on my bike. You do the math! :idea: Still has excellent tread on the center an sides!:beer:

pilot power 2ct's last long really, last set on the street I got 1900 miles out of them and they were bald LOL

·
Registered
445 Posts
Welcome...:thumbsup: I see you are in Owensboro, I'm down in Glasgow just about 30mi east of BG. You get that 1st gen back to stock height and length and a good set of rubber you may spin a little when getting started but for the most part you will be on the rear wheel and if you twist too hard you'll be on your a$$.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts