Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 20 of 111 Posts

·
Banned
3,645 Posts
how do these compare to gillies ? price quality wise ?
I bought Gilles, never installed them. After taking them out of the box I thought they had a serious design flaw. When Champ designed his, guess what? He eliminated that very design flaw. Champs adjusters are the bomb.

JJ

·
Registered
319 Posts
I bought Gilles, never installed them. After taking them out of the box I thought they had a serious design flaw. When Champ designed his, guess what? He eliminated that very design flaw. Champs adjusters are the bomb.

JJ
I WAS considering the Gilles. LOL What part do you think is the flaw?

·
Registered
1,600 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

JJ
yes there great , can get the wheel so close now its perfect , less wear on chain and sprockets

·
Registered
2,215 Posts
I WAS considering the Gilles. LOL What part do you think is the flaw?
With the Gilles set you need to drill into the swing arm OR use the supplied clamp to clamp the adjuster to teh swing arm. This eliminates any play right to left. With my adjusters, the sliding portion is the clamp. The main body has a lip that the slide will clamp down when the axle is tightened. No need for a secondary clamp or to screw into your swingarm.

·
Registered
1,600 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
trust me there very nice , took me all of 20 mins to put on , i put some wood under the rear wheel to hold it up , and just slide the Axel out and put the adjusters on slide axel back and done

·
Registered
2,215 Posts
Is there really a benefit to these?

I put 70,000 miles on my gen 1 without any problems
Easier to adjust the tire forward and back. Finer indication marks than stock so easier to get straight. Does it make the bike perform any better? No.

·
Registered
10,362 Posts
they look great. i had gilles and even though they look good. it did had a few flaws. one was you had to really tightn the axle nut down or the axle will move abit and the chain goes out of adjustment.

·
Registered
319 Posts
With the Gilles set you need to drill into the swing arm OR use the supplied clamp to clamp the adjuster to teh swing arm. This eliminates any play right to left. With my adjusters, the sliding portion is the clamp. The main body has a lip that the slide will clamp down when the axle is tightened. No need for a secondary clamp or to screw into your swingarm.
Got it. That's trick. Looks like the Gilles engineer needs to head back to the drafting board.

·
Registered
11,157 Posts
those do look good

·
Banned
3,645 Posts
Champs Tooling?

That Gilles sh!t is sh!t. Sorry, but thats my opinion. I saw today on another board where someone posted pix of Gilles chain adjusters that just installed and those crummy after thought brackets (what Champ eliminated with his clever design) had been over tightened and were bending already. I was laughing my @ss off. When I first saw this design in a new set I bought, I laughed my ass off for a solid hour and said this couldn't be right. It was, so I sold em.

I think their Ti locknut is stupid and their rearsets ugly. They are operating off a name and false reputation of German Engineering that people are suppose to automatically assume is great because it is German designed.

Im here to tell you Champs shit beats it. And for all I know, Champ might even be a redneck machining parts out of the back bedroom of a single wide mobile home in a Tornado zone. :lol:

No disrepsect to Germans, its just that I am tired of people thinking that something German designed is quality automatic by default.

JJ

·
Registered
2,215 Posts
Champs Tooling?

That Gilles sh!t is sh!t. Sorry, but thats my opinion. I saw today on another board where someone posted pix of Gilles chain adjusters that just installed and those crummy after thought brackets (what Champ elimintaed with his clever design) had been over tightened and were bending already. I was laughing my @ss off. When I first saw this design in a new set I bought, I laughed my ass off for a solid hour and said this couldn't be right. It was, so I sold em.

I think their Ti locknut is stupid and their rearsets ugly. They are operating off a name and false reputation of German Engineering that people are suppose to automatically assume is great because it is German designed.

Im here to tell you Champs shit beats it. And for all I know, Champ might even be a redneck. :lol:

No disrepsect to Germans, its just that I am tired of people thinking that something German designed is quality automatic by default.

JJ
If it helps Im not a redneck. But I am an American of German descent (sp):badteeth:.

1 - 20 of 111 Posts