Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
764 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Don't know if any of you all have seen this but it's a HUD unit for motorcycles. www.sportvue.com . I got the MC-1 unit on it's way and should be here tomorrow. Here's some pics of the setup. Should be interesting to see how well this system works. So far all the reviews I've seen have been very positive. This is an alternative to the guage cluster we've all been complaining about. The HUD shows RPM, gear, and speed. The MC-2 has a radar port that will flash RADAR when your detector goes off. The site has full install instructions for our 10s. So far seems like a no brainer install and looks like a top notch product. I'll post up a follow up when I have it in my hands and installed on the bike.

·
Registered
679 Posts
This looks VERY interesting.. hmmmm my interest is sparked... ahhhh gotta research it.. you guys just LOVE waving pricey toys in my face so my wife can bitch at me for buyin em! its a conspiracy I swear.. the damn Wolfe Conspiracy i tell ya!

·
Registered
1,538 Posts
Yea Yea Yea, I've seen that before and read a little on it..... Looks pretty sick, I was thinking bout this but I think i'm going to put the money in a good radar setup first....

Let us know how it turns out .................

·
Registered
6,354 Posts
Keep us posted.

·
Registered
764 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thought I post up an update. Got the MC1 on Thursday. Started the install on Friday which spilled over to Saturday. Overall, the install isn't too bad. The hardest part was to figure out the best way to mount the magnet for the speed sensor, placement of the main base unit, the right wire to tap into for the RPM wire, and the positioning of the HMD or HUD unit. I took my time to make sure I got the right wires tapped into and routing of the wires to make the install look factory. I had to epoxy the magnet to the inner lip of the rear brake caliper. Also, I figured out which wire to tap into for the RPM trigger. It's a red wire with a black stripe or pin 15 on the smaller connector on the ECM.

The measured speed was almost right on the money when I referenced it to a speed radar in my neighborhood. The programming of the unit to calculate gearing for the gear position display was clunky and I still haven't gotten it to work right. The manual says I need to accelerate moderately at 30 to 50% of the engine's maximum RPM while the bike is on the rear stand. I tried twice to go through the learn procedure and still no joy. The gear indication is all over the place. I might try again later today before calling them on Monday. Also the RPM bar graph doesn't work right either. I think some of what I'm seeing is due to the funky behavior of the gear indicator.

Overall, I'm still pretty satisfied with the purchase. The ability to see my speed without having to look down is one of the main benefits of the system. I would like to get the RPM bar graph to work too. I don't really care about the gear inidicator.

More to follow along with some pics.

·
Registered
50 Posts
I have one of these. I had a few problems getting it connected right, I had the wrong wire. Everything works great except it still doesn't recognise 6th gear.

The trick it to accellerate steadly while the unit is flashing the gear in the display... this is when it's sampling the data. You may need to teach the unit on the bike to communicate with the HUD again. The rpm's are learned as you ride. Run it up to red line once.... that sets the upper limit on the graph, where it will apper full across the display.

I connected it to a Bel Pro RX65 radar detector. It's sweet. The display flashes: "RADAR" while alternating with your speed until it the danger passes.

I just haven't put the bike on the stand to try to get the 6th gear to program. Been lazy.

I like it and you get to see your speed in the twisties!:mrgreen:

·
Registered
2,215 Posts
Its a pretty sweet unit. I set one up on a buddy's bike. It programs like the Gear Indicators. Real Easy. Only down side IMO is how it looks outside your helm.

·
Registered
764 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Ninjet said:
I have one of these. I had a few problems getting it connected right, I had the wrong wire. Everything works great except it still doesn't recognise 6th gear.

The trick it to accellerate steadly while the unit is flashing the gear in the display... this is when it's sampling the data. You may need to teach the unit on the bike to communicate with the HUD again. The rpm's are learned as you ride. Run it up to red line once.... that sets the upper limit on the graph, where it will apper full across the display.

I connected it to a Bel Pro RX65 radar detector. It's sweet. The display flashes: "RADAR" while alternating with your speed until it the danger passes.

I just haven't put the bike on the stand to try to get the 6th gear to program. Been lazy.

I like it and you get to see your speed in the twisties!:mrgreen:
Thanks for the info. I was able to contact Sport Vue about the problems I'm having. They're totally baffled. Said I did everything right. I even took the bike out on a open stretch of road to program the gear indicator. Still no joy. I made sure I was steady with the throttle to provide constant but moderate acceleration. The Sport Vue guys don't like the issue of the RPM Bar graph dropping in and out and basically disappearing above 3k RPMs. I had reset the RPM bar graph and still no joy. Same behavior. They're having me tap into one of the stator wires that goes into the rectifier. I haven't tried that yet and am waiting on another verification that this is what I need to do. If this doesn't work, they're looking at replacing the MSU.

Here are some pics of the HMD (HUD) setup:

Various levels of back lighting shown:

More pics:

1 - 20 of 35 Posts