Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
524 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Go to the mail box and what do I see? A $26 toll running violation in Miami/Dade county. This would be all fine and good if I had ever been to Miami or Dade county. Took a pic of a license plate that had the same number of a bike I sold a year ago. Problem is, I took the plate off when I sold it. Now I have to prove that it wasn't me.:dontknow: What a hassle over nothing. Funny how you can stay out of trouble and still get a ticket.

·
Registered
454 Posts
Go to the mail box and what do I see? A $26 toll running violation in Miami/Dade county. This would be all fine and good if I had ever been to Miami or Dade county. Took a pic of a license plate that had the same number of a bike I sold a year ago. Problem is, I took the plate off when I sold it. Now I have to prove that it wasn't me.:dontknow: What a hassle over nothing. Funny how you can stay out of trouble and still get a ticket.
strange, do you have a bill of sale from when you sold the bike? why would you take the plate off a bike when you sell it? :dontknow:

·
Registered
844 Posts
i always leave the plate on unless it's personalized.good luck on your hassel.

·
Registered
945 Posts
Sucks about the ticket Bro.. Strange you should say "Now I have to prove it wasn`t me".. When did we turn into a communist country ??

·
Registered
513 Posts
The plate is suppose to stay with you like you did to avoid things like this. Hope you get it resolved easily.

·
Registered
454 Posts
The plate is suppose to stay with you like you did to avoid things like this. Hope you get it resolved easily.
I only say that because I have never purchased a used bike that I had to get new plates for.

should be an easy fix though I had the same thing happen with a used car here in houston once. just faxed over proof that I had sold the car and the fine was dropped :dontknow:

·
Registered
335 Posts
I had this same problem with a car I sold a couple years ago. They said I was going accross the Brooklyn bridge or one of the bridges south of me and I don't even go down that far towards New York City. Anyway just call up the number on the ticket (for me it was EZ- Pass) and just explain what happened. That you haven't had that plate in however long and they will look into it. They will most likely just forget about it and send you an appology. Hope it works for you.

·
La Flama Blanca
7,730 Posts
In my state, yhou have to turn the plate in, unless you trade the bike or car in to a dealer, then they turn it in for you, either way if the plate does not get turned in, its a hefty fine next time you register a vehicle or renew your Drivers liscense.

I have one question for the OP though, you say you took the plate off when you sold the bike? How in the world did it end up on the mystery riders bike? Did you give the plate away or maybe sell it?

The laws on this vary by state though, some states want you to transfer the original plate etc.

·
Registered
2,897 Posts
here in Ohio when you sell your car or bike you keep your plates you do not give them to the person who is buying the bike or car, also same thing as when you trade a vehicle in you can keep the plates and get them transferred to the new vehicle, hell i still have a plate off my old 97 -7R and if I would have found it when I got any of my new bikes LOL i would have just used it and saved me some money and not had to buy a new plate .... some states have strange laws LOL... but here in ohio you can get new plates every year when its time to renew but it cost ya more money or course.. good luck with the ticket though..

·
Registered
524 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
In FL you have to pull the plate when you sell it. I thought sure it was in my garage but couldn't find it on a quick search. I'll have to tear apart the garage tomorrow. No way I would ever "loan" or sell a plate to anyone. They also showed a pic of the bike in the picture and it's a cruiser. I've never owned a cruiser. To the poster who mentioned "innocent until proven guilty", yea I thought so too. Evidently not. I waited on the phone for 1/2hr. on Friday, until I got tired of waiting. Guess I'll have to aquire some patience for the call on Monday. Wish me luck. :dontknow:

·
La Flama Blanca
7,730 Posts
In FL you have to pull the plate when you sell it. I thought sure it was in my garage but couldn't find it on a quick search. I'll have to tear apart the garage tomorrow. No way I would ever "loan" or sell a plate to anyone. They also showed a pic of the bike in the picture and it's a cruiser. I've never owned a cruiser. To the poster who mentioned "innocent until proven guilty", yea I thought so too. Evidently not. I waited on the phone for 1/2hr. on Friday, until I got tired of waiting. Guess I'll have to aquire some patience for the call on Monday. Wish me luck. :dontknow:

If thats the case, I would think your case would be easy to prove, surely the ticket states what the registration of the bike reads, if it shows the plate is supposed to match a zx-10r, then it should be realtively easy to prove that the bike in the picture is most certianly not a zx-10r and there is some kind of mistake going on here. Do they re-use plate numbers after a certain amount of time maybe?

·
Registered
33 Posts
I thought that they had to have a picture of your face? I read some stuff on red light cameras and that is how it works. How can they prove that it was you on the bike? Maybe it was your friend or something. I would look into it or at least ask them about it on Monday.

·
Registered
524 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
If thats the case, I would think your case would be easy to prove, surely the ticket states what the registration of the bike reads, if it shows the plate is supposed to match a zx-10r, then it should be realtively easy to prove that the bike in the picture is most certianly not a zx-10r and there is some kind of mistake going on here. Do they re-use plate numbers after a certain amount of time maybe?

That's what I was thinking, perhaps they re-use the numbers after a period of time. My wife said I should just pay it since it is only $26. I told her no way in hell would I ever pay a ticket that wasn't mine. The bad part is I'll probably have to spend hours on the phone for something I had nothing to do with. One possability is there is a number on the plate that is suppose to be a 8 that looks a lot like a 6 to me. :dontknow: The funny part is that I got in the Sun-pass lane on a toll road about a month ago and had to drive through without paying as it's suppose to read your pass through the window and deduct it from your account which I didn't have. So, I drove through and parked, then walked back and threw my toll in the other lane where your suppose to throw your toll in. Smiled at the camera and held up the toll to show I was paying it.

·
Registered
524 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
Good news. Called them and after 1/2hr. wait to talk to a human, I explained everything. No problem they said, both violations would be taken care of. Yes, I said both. Seems the scumbag did it again a couple of days ago and another violation was sent out today. Dude on the phone said just ignore it. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
2,897 Posts
well thats good to hear then, yeah it sucks being on hold and or talking to a damn computer, glad things worked out for ya... I hope you got the name of the person you spoke with and wrote it down along with the date and time you called???

·
Registered
2,105 Posts
don't ignore shit the state will come back to bite ya in the butt. also if you got a violation its because he's done it a few times which is not good because this wont stop...i wouldn't ignore it.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts